Page 71 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 3495

Thread: The DC/WB Superhero Movies Thread

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    You don't find it odd that's where his mind goes after a family tragedy?
    You're making an assumption as though it was the first thing out of his mouth after he was informed. Context. At some point you have to call work and tell them you're not going to be in for a few days and what to do in the interim.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    You're making an assumption as though it was the first thing out of his mouth after he was informed. Context. At some point you have to call work and tell them you're not going to be in for a few days and what to do in the interim.
    It's pretty clear....

Quote Quoting Zack Synder
    “Here’s the thing, I never planned to make this public,” he says. “I thought it would just be in the family, a private matter, our private sorrow that we would deal with. When it became obvious that I need to take break, I knew there would be narratives created on the internet. They’ll do what they do. The truth it…I’m past caring about that kind of thing now.”
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It's not like that was the first thing he jumped to, though. It happened a couple of months ago now, and he's clearly still healing from the loss. The fact that in today's culture this wasn't broadcast the day of should in and of itself tell you something. And besides, considering what he's going through, I highly doubt that he or his family needs that sort of negativity in his life right now that would follow from not just setting the record straight.

It's pretty clear....
    Yes but there could have been weeks in between "a private family matter, our own private sorrow" and "narratives will be created". Thats a big difference in perspective. Hell, someone in a position of managing or delegating (exactly like a director) who could be in shock could immediately start figuring out all the things needed for the movie as a reflex. To be clear, I'm not defending. If they told him what happened and his first reaction was "what about Justice League?", that would be very fucked up. But I don't think its fair to point to a one page article from a Hollywood (i.e. movies) specific context to judge a two-month old emotional transition of a father who lost a child.

Yes but there could have been weeks in between "a private family matter, our own private sorrow" and "narratives will be created". Thats a big difference in perspective. Hell, someone in a position of managing or delegating (exactly like a director) who could be in shock could immediately start figuring out all the things needed for the movie as a reflex. To be clear, I'm not defending. If they told him what happened and his first reaction was "what about Justice League?", that would be very fucked up. But I don't think its fair to point to a one page article from a Hollywood (i.e. movies) specific context to judge a two-month old emotional transition of a father who lost a child.

"I never planned to make this public"

Followed by.

"When it became obvious that I need to take break, I knew there would be narratives created on the internet."

I don't care of it was seconds of years. This statement is shocking to me. I mean, who gives a shit what people on the internet say? Are you that insecure? Your daughter just died. Stop buying yourself in work and grieve.

All I'm saying is this is incredibly odd to me.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I don't see anything wrong with what he did or said.

No matter what he did or said (or does or says) someone will find fault with it.

As 8 pointed out, it's a very sad reflection of geek culture.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I don't care of it was seconds of years. This statement is shocking to me. I mean, who gives a shit what people on the internet say? Are you that insecure? Your daughter just died. Stop buying yourself in work and grieve.
    But people in public spotlight have to think about such things. How they act on those thoughts can be judged, but it does enter their thoughts because its part of their life.

Burying himself in his work was his grieving.

He says IN THE LINKED ARTICLE that he thought burying himself in his work would help, but turns out it hasn't. Once he realized that, he had a choice: keep it all private and suffer from even more fan outrage or come out publicly and explain the situation. He chose the latter. Pretty understandable. Not sure what duke's beef is.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I doubt that Snyder was actually concerned about what people online might say about him; it's more likely he was concerned that a vague exit from the film would result in a storm of negative online (and subsequent press) attention that could hurt everyone involved by negatively impacting the film's bottom line. He says in the press release that he doesn't really give two shits about what people say about him. So he likely just wanted to be as fair to WB as possible.

No beef. I just said it was odd. (Because I can't picture myself in that position and thinking that would be the right move. For my family. For myself. For the fans.)

I don't know what I would do in that situation, but I understand that a lot of people who grieve really get into their work as a way of both keeping their minds off their despair and providing a sense of structure to their days (so it's not just a morass of abject misery).

- - - - -
    I think Snyder is making a statement because he's managing expectations/PR for the studio. He's the face of the project. He's playing good soldier for his employers. I'd expect that from anyone in his position. There's gotta be half a billion dollars wrapped up in this shit and Warners is a publicly traded company.

(That said, there's a degree to which this stuff can become self serving. I was really put off by the way Patton Oswalt and Jimmy Kimmel spoke in public about dead family members. That struck me as crass.)

Frankly, as long as someone isn't, like, going all Charles Bronson and murdering the people they deem responsible, I don't care how they grieve. Publicly, privately, hiding away, putting themselves out there. Nobody's gonna handle it the same way.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    (That said, there's a degree to which this stuff can become self serving. I was really put off by the way Patton Oswalt and Jimmy Kimmel spoke in public about dead family members. That struck me as crass.)
    Seriously? I felt it as sincere and honest. I especially love how Kimmel speaks about his personal life and is not afraid to be emotional.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Frankly, as long as someone isn't, like, going all Charles Bronson and murdering the people they deem responsible, I don't care how they grieve. Publicly, privately, hiding away, putting themselves out there. Nobody's gonna handle it the same way.
    Fair.

Seriously? I felt it as sincere and honest. I especially love how Kimmel speaks about his personal life and is not afraid to be emotional.
    Same. I felt similarly when Oswalt started speaking publicly about his loss and how his family was processing.

Doug Liman just dropped out of Justice League Dark due to scheduling issues.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Nooooooo waaaaaaayyyyyy....

Wonder Woman getting some positive notices, most from Twitterati and movie site editors (not critics), which gives me pause, but now David Sims of The Atlantic is saying it's very good.

In other news, a bunch of dudes are furious and claiming sexism that Alamo Drafthouse is holding special "no boys allowed" screenings of WW.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Doug Liman just dropped out of Justice League Dark due to scheduling issues.
    Somehow, I'm not surprised.

In other news, a bunch of dudes are furious and claiming sexism that Alamo Drafthouse is holding special "no boys allowed" screenings of WW.
    Somehow, I'm not surprised.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

What crybabies. I'm jealous I couldn't be a part of such a cool thing.

What crybabies. I'm jealous I couldn't be a part of such a cool thing.
    If it were women we wouldn't be calling them crybabies. We'd be calling them feminists.

Alamo Drafthouse's response was to add more women's only screenings. Good theater.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Wonder Woman getting some positive notices, most from Twitterati and movie site editors (not critics), which gives me pause, but now David Sims of The Atlantic is saying it's very good.
    Just like all the DC movies got.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

To springboard off Duke (that's a big ol' can of worms), the raw numbers are actually horrifying for female representation in superhero films, in front of and behind the camera.

122 superhero films since 1978.

Five (4%) were female-led (Supergirl, Barb Wire, Tank Girl, Catwoman, Elektra).

One film (>1%) was directed by a woman (Lexi Alexander, Punisher: War Zone).