Page 6 of 140 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC/WB Superhero Movies Thread

With Batman and Ironman, I'd much rather see a Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark movie. Their secret identities are far more charismatic and interesting than their super alters. Once the mask and suit are donned, I usually completely check out.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I thought Bale was boring as Wayne and Batman.
    I liked him in all three, especially in the final one.

This is the sound of me shrugging my shoulders, the imperceptible breeze it creates.

Huh, Davis, stop it. There's more wrong in your three posts than in all the Internet combined.

When it comes to the Internet and Superheroes, I'm more than happy with being "wrong."

Beware carrying your lonely disagreement as a point of pride. Unchecked, that way lies the path of the fundie, the contrarian, the admirer of Paul W. S. Anderson.

Agree with 8. Criminals should be just as terrified of Batman when he just stands next to them as they would be if he was beating them. Nolan never did anything to make Batman intimidating; only low level thugs were afraid of him but they were too busy getting thrashed or jumping at shadows. I wouldve really enjoyed an alley way interagation where Batman appears with his arms crossed, says nothing, thug starts spilling his guts with every slow step Batman takes towards him...culminating in the thug nearly in tears and begging as Batman takes the last step between them...then vanishes, having gotten the info and never said a word.

I like the first 1/3 of Event Horizon.

I like the first 1/3 of Event Horizon.
    This is how it starts. First, you just try out his most acclaimed movie, just to get a taste. You almost apologize for liking it, and you doubt you'll ever go beyond that. Next, you tell your friends you're busy this weekend, but you really want to watch the Resident Evil movies sequentially to get a better sense of Anderson's emergent photographic interests. Before you know it, you're blowing video store employees so you can score a region-free copy of rarely-seen debut Shopping, and your mom breaks down into tears when you interrupt Thanksgiving dinner to offer an unrequested take on the self-reflexive underpinnings of Soldier.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Agree with 8. Criminals should be just as terrified of Batman when he just stands next to them as they would be if he was beating them. Nolan never did anything to make Batman intimidating; only low level thugs were afraid of him but they were too busy getting thrashed or jumping at shadows. I wouldve really enjoyed an alley way interagation where Batman appears with his arms crossed, says nothing, thug starts spilling his guts with every slow step Batman takes towards him...culminating in the thug nearly in tears and begging as Batman takes the last step between them...then vanishes, having gotten the info and never said a word.
    Meh

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    This is how it starts. First, you just try out his most acclaimed movie, just to get a taste. You almost apologize for liking it, and you doubt you'll ever go beyond that. Next, you tell your friends you're busy this weekend, but you really want to watch the Resident Evil movies sequentially to get a better sense of Anderson's emergent photographic interests. Before you know it, you're blowing video store employees so you can score a region-free copy of rarely-seen debut Shopping, and your mom breaks down into tears when you interrupt Thanksgiving dinner to offer an unrequested take on the self-reflexive underpinnings of Soldier.
    Yeah, none of that will ever happen. RE is the worst. It has 3 of my least favorite things - it's based on a video game, Milla Jovovich, and Michelle RodrÃ*guez.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Meh
    I feel both of those examples fall in line with 1. 8 saying Nolan painted Batman as a feral animal and 2. Me saying only low level criminals were afraid of Batman. So why the meh?

Because I particularly disagree with you (or partially agree). Were you expecting the Joker to cower in fear? Or Scarcrow? Or Bane???? No way.

Those examples above were medium level criminals and it was an attempt at intimidation that worked. On the other hand, it wasn't this:

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Nah I guess I don't really expect that level of intimidation from the bigs, but he never intimidated the low-mid guys without furiously beating the hell out of them. Shit, Eric Roberts wasn't even scared of him after he threw off a building.

Wait, but I was talking about wanting to see Batman's personality when he's not trying to scare the shit out of people.

Examples:

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I guess he didn't beat the cop, but he had to scream at him like a freak. That's not very ninja.

Milla Jovovich and Michelle RodrÃ*guez
    I love these two women.

Now that I think about it, Rodriguez would make an excellent René Montoya.

I agree 8, I was just giving one possible example of a scene that wouldve taken some of that character workload off Bruce's shoulders....like you mentioned before.

One more. I always use this clip to illustrate why I enjoy Batman among other superheroes way more than him as a loner vigilante.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Man, the DCAU was so insanely good.

Is there an order to watch those movies? I'd love to sit down and mow through them.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Is there an order to watch those movies? I'd love to sit down and mow through them.
    They are not movies, they're episodes from Justice League and Batman Beyond.

Ah. I thought it was from one of these;

Yeah, those started after the Timm/Dini family of series wrapped up. They're good too, but if you've never done it, I really recommend you watch Batman: The Animated Series and its follow-ups from the start. It's the definitive version of Batman (and practically all DC superheroes) for me.

I just looked it up.. .and I think I've watched the entire BAS when I was 8. Same series from 1992 right? I also watched a bit of the Superman AS... but it looks like there was a The New Batman Adventures from 1997 which I've never seen. OK if I start there?

Btw that clip 8 posted from JL is one of my all time favorite Batman moments. "I'm a rich kid with issues. LOTS of issues."

Page 6 of 140 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast