Page 59 of 140 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 3495

Thread: The DC/WB Superhero Movies Thread

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I knew Goyer was bad when he did that serial killer movie with Johnnie Depp where you could call the twist at the opening theme.
    Are you thinking of David Koepp and Secret Window?

Goyer has a story credit on both TDK movies so I took that as him helping write. Don't get me wrong, the Nolans are not masters of dialogue themselves, but I assumed some of the clunkier bits had more of Goyer's hand than theirs.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

The way they talked about it in interviews, Goyer was too busy making The Unborn at the time to work on TDK. Jonathan Nolan wrote the first draft of the script based on an outline that Chris and Goyer had prepared, and then polished the script with Chris.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

If you saw Westworld, you can see Nolan all over the latter two Batman movies.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Goyer was too busy making The Unborn at the time to work on TDK

lol

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

He already seems frustrated with it all.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I don't envy that man.

It's his life. Every passion project he works on from now on, he's gonna get them ignored in favor of Batman questions.
    Movie Theater Diary

Haha, I'm already seeing articles with "BEN AFFLECK THINKS BATMAN QUESTIONS ARE A PAIN IN THE ASS" headlines.
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Here we go

Quote Quoting Schmoes Know
    So, I don't want to throw anyone under the bus. We have somebody within our community who has gotten insider information that broke my effing heart this week, because I have tremendous belief that Wonder Woman is gonna be awesome and I heard it stinks from the same person who told me that they heard that BvS stinks...The person who I spoke to...their response was 'I'm very disappointed in what I saw, and it seems like all the problems are the same problems. It's discombobulated, it doesn't have narrative flow. It's just very disjointed." That doesn't sound good!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

We had three previous DC fiascos to gird us for this.

And it still hurts.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    We had three previous DC fiascos to gird us for this.

And it still hurts.
    At least you don't seem to be rooting for DCs demise.

I haven't tuned in to any of this DC mess, except for Man of Steel, which I liked. So I don't know what to think.

My gut says to avoid at all costs.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    At least you don't seem to be rooting for DCs demise.
    Skitch, I tell ya, there's always just enough in these crappy movies that I can see a way out, can see how they can shed the bad stuff and keep what few inspired choices they've made and build from there. BvS was a storytelling mess with some really confusing morality (Batman's evolution amounts to, "I won't kill people with moms named Martha anymore"), but there are enough gorgeous images in it, enough oddball decisions (I'm actually a fan of Eisenberg's Goldbluming), and enough intriguing ideas that I'd rather watch that film again than Dr. Strange, the latter being a film that's more functional than BvS in nearly every conceivable way except for the fact that I can't imagine ever watching it again; it has the same diner waffle taste of Ant-Man. And Suicide Squad is somehow even worse than BvS, except for the fact Viola Davis is so perfect for Waller it hurts, and Will Smith somehow makes Will Smith as Deadshot utterly charming instead of hacky (and people like Jai Courtney and Jay Hernandez heroically do what they can with so little). I don't want a film like that ever again, for any reason (it gets worse every time you think about it), but I'd be so happy to see someone fix this shit up so that Viola Davis can play Waller again, because that was so damn right.

Producer
    I can't believe anyone wants BvS over Doctor Strange; even in term of visual (the most praise thing out of BvS) I'd prefer the bright, exhilarating bursts of color over mildly fun grimdark images always. Ant-Man I can kinda see, although among other things the fact that it's more than half and hour shorter makes the choice easier for me.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I hear ya, DaMU. I'm not blind to the faults of the DCEU thus far. Suicide Squad was a really frustrating film. I think the characters/actors can survive it to show up in other films, but my god, give me Snyder slop all day over another Ayer trainwreck like that.

I'm still not going to freak out over the missteps until Justice League, and see what a DCEU movie fully produced under Johns running the show amounts to.
    Last edited by Skitch; 01-18-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I haven't tuned in to any of this DC mess, except for Man of Steel, which I liked. So I don't know what to think.

My gut says to avoid at all costs.
    Yeh it's a weird feeling.. I still find myself oddly more interested to WW more than Logan.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    I can't believe anyone wants BvS over Doctor Strange; even in term of visual (the most praise thing out of BvS) I'd prefer the bright, exhilarating bursts of color over mildly fun grimdark images always. Ant-Man I can kinda see, although among other things the fact that it's more than half and hour shorter makes the choice easier for me.
    We talked about this in another thread (wish I knew which one) how running time has become such a huge factor in what movies I see next. I never would have guessed this 10 years ago.

Brad Peyton may direct Shazam

BvS is precisely the sorta shitty movie that I could watch over and over and find genuinely entertaining every time, despite all its issues. Doctor Strange, meanwhile, was just generic, unimaginative, and mediocre enough to where I really just don't have the time in the world for movies of its ilk anymore. I'll take ambitious trash over safe, cookie-cutter mediocrity almost every time.

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    I'll give Dr. Strange this, I would happily rewatch a ten-minute highlight reel that includes his first sound-and-light trip, the astral projection fight, and the Dormammu scene at the end.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Yeh it's a weird feeling.. I still find myself oddly more interested to WW more than Logan.
    I'll probably def watch Logan.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    We talked about this in another thread (wish I knew which one) how running time has become such a huge factor in what movies I see next. I never would have guessed this 10 years ago.
    I just watched LOTR: The Two Towers Extended Edition at the theatre. Longest film I've ever seen that way and it flew by. I don't care about length; I care about good
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I don't have time to only care about good.