Page 56 of 140 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 3495

Thread: The DC/WB Superhero Movies Thread

I haven't watched BvS or Suicide Squad yet and I'm actually troubled that there are two live-action movies out there about Batman lore that I... find I have no interest in seeing. I might be saturated with superhero blockbusters by now. And they both had terrible reviews by hardcore comic-book fans and look way toosimilar to Man of Steel which I hated.

Frankly, this looks exactly the same. The WWII approach is a bonus, but the color grading and the filmmaking makes it look like more of the same.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    This is actually a genuine concern for me. People (including myself) have been bashing WB for years for being too chickenshit to make a Wonder Woman movie. I don't care if it gets critically roasted, but it would be unfortunate if it fails to shatter the opening weekend.
    It'll probably do fine. The novelty of the film being the first female superhero film, along with enough time and distance from the previous WB disappointments, along with WB's tendency to max out their opening weekend profits, should all be points in its favor. Also, Gadot is a babe, so the kinds of bros who'd boycott and bash Ghostbusters online for ruining their childhood would likely go to Wonder Woman (and it's not like she's reverse-gender-casting for Wonder Man or something).

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Just remember, if WW does anything better than a 26% RT score, it's heading in the right direction.

Man of Steel 55%
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 27%
    Suicide Squad 26%
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Subtle shade thrown at Snyder.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    It'll probably do fine. The novelty of the film being the first female superhero film, along with enough time and distance from the previous WB disappointments, along with WB's tendency to max out their opening weekend profits, should all be points in its favor. Also, Gadot is a babe, so the kinds of bros who'd boycott and bash Ghostbusters online for ruining their childhood would likely go to Wonder Woman (and it's not like she's reverse-gender-casting for Wonder Man or something).
    My worry was less that it would get a Ghostbusters-style backlash from fans, and more about it being the culmination of Snyder fatigue that is then interpreted as such by the studio. I've seen a lot of reaction to this trailer that's basically along the lines of "This looks pretty great, but I've been burned by DC one too many times, so it's probably a rental." It will probably do fine, as you say, but in the case that it doesn't, it would suck for WB to think, "Well, everyone said they hated BvS, but that still made a shitload of money! So it must be some other factor..."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Didn't Suicide Squad make a killing despite the movie being all around terrible and receiving awful reviews and word of mouth? Yeah, I'm not worried about Wonder Woman's box office, especially considering she was the most universally liked aspect of Batman v Superman.

I think you worry about this stuff too much. Most Hollywood blockbusters nowadays kill it at the box office while being terrible (Jurassic World, Batman v Superman) and then time and the relentless film criticism of the fanbase puts them in their place. If a movie is solid it will be remembered fondly whether it stars men, women or talking kangaroo.

Yeah.

How many of you have seen the animated Wonder Woman film that came out in 2009? That was pretty awesome and it had a screwball romantic comedy vibe (not all of it, there was plenty of action, but it was there) that played a lot with gender assumptions. Snyder and his crew will never be bold enough to do something like that.

- - - - -
    Didn't Suicide Squad make a killing despite the movie being all around terrible and receiving awful reviews and word of mouth?
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Most Hollywood blockbusters nowadays kill it at the box office while being terrible (Jurassic World, Batman v Superman) and then time and the relentless film criticism of the fanbase puts them in their place.
    Sorta? A lot of these movies -- and this includes Marvel, especially the stuff that doesn't star RDJ -- either squeak by at the domestic BO or lose money. They make that up on the international market, but not to the degree that the pundits crow about.

It doesn't matter because of ancillary markets and toy sales, which will be in the billions of dollars all by themselves.

How many of you have seen the animated Wonder Woman film that came out in 2009? That was pretty awesome and it had a screwball romantic comedy vibe (not all of it, there was plenty of action, but it was there) that played a lot with gender assumptions. Snyder and his crew will never be bold enough to do something like that.
    Loved it. It has a really awful depiction of Steve Trevor who tries and fails miserably to date rape Wonder Woman. I doubt the movie will attempt anywhere near that level of politics.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

My worry was less that it would get a Ghostbusters-style backlash from fans, and more about it being the culmination of Snyder fatigue that is then interpreted as such by the studio. I've seen a lot of reaction to this trailer that's basically along the lines of "This looks pretty great, but I've been burned by DC one too many times, so it's probably a rental." It will probably do fine, as you say, but in the case that it doesn't, it would suck for WB to think, "Well, everyone said they hated BvS, but that still made a shitload of money! So it must be some other factor..."
    Could be. A lot of my friends have said the same, but a lot of my friends are the sort of movie/comic fans that would see it anyway since they want to be able to engage in the post hoc fan conversations. WB'll also probably be looking at it with Marvel's single-character films as a barometer, and those aren't always bringing home the big bucks. (You wonder if they'll be situationally aware enough to remember the success of female-led series like Hunger Games or if they'll dismiss that as a separate genre - YA fiction with a pre-built female viewership.)
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 11-04-2016 at 06:32 PM.

Loved it. It has a really awful depiction of Steve Trevor who tries and fails miserably to date rape Wonder Woman. I doubt the movie will attempt anywhere near that level of politics.
    What the fuck, man. He asks her out on a date to a bar but, because she's an Amazon, she drinks him under the table. If that's rape I should be serving a life sentence in Alcatraz.

Love that WW animated flick. I think the live action will be fine. The tomatometer is not the Bible. While most of 8's friends may feel burned by WB, my friends are more along the lines of "Whats with all the hate for BvS? It wasn't nearly as bad as I was led to believe, I enjoyed it."

*shrug*

They'll keep making them as long we all keep going, and we ALL keep going. Even if some of us are grumpy about it or happy about it. lol

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    They'll keep making them as long we all keep going, and we ALL keep going.
    I didn't! I didn't go!

*smug*

[
    ]

What the fuck, man. He asks her out on a date to a bar but, because she's an Amazon, she drinks him under the table. If that's rape I should be serving a life sentence in Alcatraz.
    Ha, you should watch the movie again, because you seriously missed the intent of the scene. I just rewatched the movie last month (it's currently on HBO if anyone hasn't seen it). Steve specifically tried to get her drunk, and Diana calls him out on it when she realizes it. There's a part where she says like "A noble endeavor!" and downs a tequila shot and it cuts to Steve smirking saying, "Oh yeah, that's me, I'm being noble, all right" and orders more shots. It then keeps cutting forward in time with Steve asking her if she's drunk yet, and when she says she's fine, he grumbles and orders more shots. The scene actually ends with him trying to kiss her, and Wonder Woman, disgusted, shouts at him, "My mother was right about you! You're trying to get me drunk! As if you can outdrink an Amazon. I knew exactly what you were trying to do." It's a great scene because it fits into the movie's theme.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    I should be serving a life sentence in Alcatraz.[/COLOR][/FONT]
    That would be weird because ...

... wait for it ...

The Rock is a tourist attraction.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    None of this Wonder Woman pondering really matters to me now since that Lego Batman trailer has me convinced that unless we've already seen every good moment between all of the footage so far, this is already one of the Top 3 ever big-screen films with the character's name on it. (Make up your own mind as to which those are.)

What a lovely, hysterical collection of clips. The "fighting" dialogue is incredible.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

My favorite bit in that animated WW flick is when they're in her jet and Steve starts baring his soul to her...then realizes her lasso was accidentally round his foot. Makes me LOL every time.

Here's the scene. There's no question he tries to get her drunk, but... Date rape? Rape? That's how you'd casually describe what happens here?

That fits my definition, yeah.
    Movie Theater Diary

Wow.

I once called Superbad a very funny and poignant movie about two boys who tried to be rapists.
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    THat's not rape nor attempted rape.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

He's certainly getting her drunk in hopes that she'll hook up with him later. She consents to the drinks each time. When he tries to kiss, she says no, he's disappointed, confesses as such, and certainly doesn't look like he's going to force anything. He definitely whines about it, but doesn't come across as forcing his will.

I wouldn't classify what we see here as rape. Scummy seduction? Sure.

Opens up to interesting discussion for an animated scene, and where the line is drawn when two adults go out for drinks.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Well, some women I know are not homeless retarded children. Certainly Wonder Woman doesn't fit that description. So if a guy tries to get her drunk and fails, I think it's a big stretch to say that he's trying to "rape" her.

I agree that the scene very intentionally portrays Steve Trevor in a sleazier light than you'd expect. But "rape" seems like a gigantic word to apply here. There's an actual thing called "rape" and that's not it.

Do you actually apply this line of thinking in your everyday life? Because if I see an attempted rape going on I like to think I'd try to stop it or call the police. Do you enter bars and randomly yell "rape" at couples that are drinking together?