Page 5 of 140 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC/WB Superhero Movies Thread

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I was pretty sure that everyone loved Affleck now.

With his recent work behind the camera being so great, I'm really disappointed that he would sign on with such a mainstream superhero film for so long.
    seems like a lot of these films are gonna just gonna be 'sam jackson as nick fury' type of cameos

Is anyone else discouraged that Lex Luthor is the villain... AGAIN?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Is this confirmed? Perhaps he will be a secondary player, an emerging threat.

I don't usually mind Affleck, but I'm not sure he has the innate gravitas to pull it off. Bat-voice aside, Bale had the right sort of presence for the character. Keaton pulled it off, too, but he's an underrated actor.

But whatever. Zack Snyder is still the bigger issue.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    If he isn't a secondary villian to a Brainiac or Apocalypse or something, I will be furious. That would be 7 movies and only 2 legit villains...unacceptable.

Hmm, Superman and Luthor's relationship is specific and unique enough that I don't mind having him be a constant presence. I'm more discouraged that WB has made 18 movies based on DC comics and 13 of them are Batman and Superman movies. Of the 5 that are not, 2 are Superman spinoffs and 1 is a Batman spinoff. The other two are Green Lantern and Jonah fucking Hex.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    But whatever. Zack Snyder is still the bigger issue.
    If you're willing to believe that it makes sense for Superman and Batman to exist in the same universe, then you are probably capable of suspending your disbelief that Zack Snyder is capable of making a good movie.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Hmm, Superman and Luthor's relationship is specific and unique enough that I don't mind having him be a constant presence. I'm more discouraged that WB has made 18 movies based on DC comics and 13 of them are Batman and Superman movies. Of the 5 that are not, 2 are Superman spinoffs and 1 is a Batman spinoff. The other two are Green Lantern and Jonah fucking Hex.
    What about Watchmen?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

But seriously, I rather see a Flash movie than any Batman or Superman movie.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Jonah fucking Hex.
    Which could have been so awesome and is so terrible.

I do hope they get Zimmer back, because I really did like that Man of Steel score. It's a total 180 from Williams, but pretty awesome in its own way.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    If you're willing to believe that it makes sense for Superman and Batman to exist in the same universe, then you are probably capable of suspending your disbelief that Zack Snyder is capable of making a good movie.
    :|
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    What about Watchmen?
    I was gonna mention that too, but I didn't think it was a Warner Bros picture. Legendary, no?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...aid-yes-613658

But Affleck was curious, and initial talks focusing on story and character began. Once Affleck was satisfied, WME's Patrick Whitesell and Ziffren Brittenham's Sam Fischer began negotiating his role in the Superman sequel.

After he'd recovered and turned in a bravura performance directing and starring in The Town, Fox offered him the chance to direct and star in aDaredevil reboot -- but Affleck turned it down.

More recently, Nolan offered Affleck the chance to direct Man of Steel. Affleck declined, seemingly because of a desire not to return to the world of capes -- despite being an avowed comic book fan.

But it turns out Warner Bros. had other plans.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Not sure I agree, not sure I disagree, but it worked for The Avengers which had even more superheroes.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Heh. Of course this already exists.

Movie Theater Diary

That was great.

Quote Quoting Matt Damon
    "I think it will be great. It will be terrific. I know there are a lot of people grousing on the internet. I just think it's kind of funny. You know, he's not playing King Lear. It's Batman! Certainly within his skill set. If anybody saw Argo or The Town, and all the work he's been doing lately, it's way more nuanced and interesting and way more difficult than Batman! Batman just sits there with his cowl over his head and whispers in a kinda gruff voice at people. Bruce Wayne is the more challenging part of the role, and Ben will be great at that."
    Those comments are certainly not going to calm down any fanboys, Matt.
    Movie Theater Diary

Affleck and Clooney both seem like Bruce Wayne to me, more than any of the other actors. And Damon is right - Batman doesn't really matter; he's a boring character, and can pretty much be played by anyone going through the same motions. Bruce Wayne is far more interesting because of what he has to deal with on a human level (balancing all of his emotions and responsibilities). I think the opposite is true with Supes. Clark Kent is boring, but the Superman character can be very interesting. Unfortunately, I don't think the character in film has been made interesting since the first film (haven't seen the very latest).

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Affleck and Clooney both seem like Bruce Wayne to me, more than any of the other actors. And Damon is right - Batman doesn't really matter; he's a boring character, and can pretty much be played by anyone going through the same motions. Bruce Wayne is far more interesting because of what he has to deal with on a human level (balancing all of his emotions and responsibilities). I think the opposite is true with Supes. Clark Kent is boring, but the Superman character can be very interesting. Unfortunately, I don't think the character in film has been made interesting since the first film (haven't seen the very latest).

Except of course... Clooney who played Batman as Bruce Wayne.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The Batman persona, being Wayne, can be as two-dimensional as Wayne's growly notion of a batlike superhero or as fully dimensional as Wayne hiding behind a mask.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    The Batman persona, being Wayne, can be as two-dimensional as Wayne's growly notion of a batlike superhero or as fully dimensional as Wayne hiding behind a mask.
    This is an aspect that I don't think was properly explored by the Nolan movies, just by the necessity of Bale doing that voice and only putting on the suit when he's either threatening or breaking someone's legs. A large part of what makes me like Batman as a character has a lot to do with the way he interacts with others and showing his humanity while he's in the suit, but Bale and Nolan's interpretation of the character in the suit was that of a feral beast, which was why the interesting parts fell on Bruce Wayne.
    Movie Theater Diary

Somewhat agree. Their interpretation - that his superhero persona is a tactic - makes "Batman" more of a straight-up performance. The chances to dig deeper only really occur when he's pushed into the most mortal or intimate moments. The confrontation with Harvey Two-Face, some of his scenes with Catwoman. The "I'm really Bruce Wayne" clues. The best film exploration of Batman's identity, I think, still comes in Mask of the Phantasm, where he's truly trying to reconcile his desire for a happy life with his sick compulsion to honor his parents.

I thought Bale was boring as Wayne and Batman.

Page 5 of 140 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast