Page 39 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC/WB Superhero Movies Thread

That exchange between Clark and Bruce is painful.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I read an article in one of the trades (Hollywood Reporter?) awhile back that said studios do this because it helps first weekend sales. The average moviegoer visits the theater 6 times a year. People want to know what they're buying. They don't want mystery. They don't want to leave their evening out to chance. (This succeeds for the same reason fast food chains succeed; the thinking is the same.)

Star Wars is a different beast entirely. The brand is established to such an extent that they don't need to advertise anything else.
    You first point feels spot-on. Definitely a contributing factor to Tomorrowland's failure. I still haven't seen it (bummed I missed it, actually), but I wasn't surprised the wider audience didn't either given how vague the trailers were. Clooney is a celebrity but not a box office draw. Bird is great, but no one knows who he is. (I still think the only director that can open a movie on name recognition anymore is Nolan.) Add that to no one knowing what the movie was about = empty seats.

You'd think, in regards to your second point, that Batman and Superman is a pre-sold brand on par with Star Wars, but the muted success and poor reputation of Man of Steel probably makes Warners a touch nervous. Plus they're putting out a whole new thing series and tone-wise. Have to prep the audience for that, I guess.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Man of Steel cleaned up.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Man of Steel cleaned up.
    I meant more in terms of brand relevance, perception, lasting impact. I could be wrong and stuck in the Internet movie echo chamber, but it doesn't seem like it moved the needle culturally or continues to be an important, well-thought-of movie. Thus the lack of confidence in the trailer.

I say all this as someone who really liked Man of Steel and thought this trailer was fine.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Oh bloody hell... are those Parademons at 2:07 mark???

Is Darkseid in this too????
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm waiting for Scooby Doo to show up. Maybe cross over with LoTR and Harry Potter as well.

What other WB/DC owned characters can we shoehorn into this movie?

Still would be less characters than Age of Ultron.

- - - - -
    Meanwhile, back in Metropolis...

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)

It's pretty much all but guaranteed that the villain of the Justice League movie will be Darkseid, so it's probably setting that up.

Typing that sentence felt heavy on the soul.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -

Rumor has it that [
    ]

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Meanwhile, back in Metropolis...

No wonder it looks like a gas explosion.

I love that someone took the time and effort to put that in there.

Looks like more care and planning was put into that than the majority of the movie.

I won't lie, from the snippets of clips, Affleck looks really great as Wayne/Batman. He has the potential to be the best Bats of them all. I just wish it didn't come down to horrible 3rd act of beating up a CGI non-entity.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

The smirk is perfect.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    By the way, did I watch that trailer wrong or did Batman brand Aquaman with a bat-shaped scar? That has to make their inevitable collaboration a little shaky.
    If you mean early in the trailer, that looked like some random criminal scum. Didn't look like Momoa to me.

I watched it again a few times, with sound now. Some awkward dialogue, and I really dunno what Eisenberg is doing unless he's going for the long con. But it's hard for me to ignore that, once again, Snyder can mount some great visuals. I just wish all the effects-heavy shots didn't make it look like everything was covered in a storm of dust.

EDIT: Anyone else think the Bat-voice sounded a little Weller-ish? Mixed with like Smaug or something.
    Last edited by Wryan; 12-03-2015 at 06:09 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

There are already a lot of people subscribing to the theory that we're only seeing Lex's public persona, and that his supervillain persona is going to be different.

Also the theory that that Doomsday is just an unfinished prototype and that we haven't seen the real Doomsday yet.

Fanboys' capacity for denial can be admirable.
    Movie Theater Diary

The Batmobile zooms through downtown Gotham, making hairpin turns and dodging vehicles by mere inches.

Batman's intercom turns on - Alfred's channel.

ALFRED: Master Bruce, I believe the Joker has taken a left on Fart Street.

BATMAN: I'll intercept him at Colon Way. Tell Clark to meet me at the Colonoscopy Center for interrogation.

Eisenberg plays the role like he knows how bad the movie would turn out. This looks Clooney-level bad. Doomsday looks like early 2000's CGI.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The hate is strong with MC. Sigh.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    The hate is strong with MC. Sigh.
    You're the only one keeping this from being unanimously reaction. Tell us what looks good.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Why? Any speculation as been labeled fanboy denial and comparing it Batman and Robin....its just trolling.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Why? Any speculation as been labeled fanboy denial and comparing it Batman and Robin....its just trolling.
    Why discuss what you like about the trailer? Because this is a movie discussion forum?

Why discuss what you like about the trailer? Because this is a movie discussion forum?
    So is AICN, RT, and IMDB, doesnt mean I have to engage. Im just saying the MCs reaction to this trailer is bewildering. I dont see much of a difference between this and the first if you know Snyder. Whos surprised by this? I find the over hate weird.

What is weird about it? There are reasons listed above why we hate it. Tell us otherwise!!

You really need me to do a breakdown on why this doesnt look like Batman and Robin? Or why its not fanboy denial to speculate Lex has a public and private persona when both have been displayed in the first and second trailer?