Page 29 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC/WB Superhero Movies Thread

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I don't get how a 5-o-clock shadow makes him more intimidating.

I must be one scary mofo.
    I AM THE NIGHT!

That detail to me communicates tired desperation. Perhaps a bit of age as well.

But I don't see it as intimidating.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Are you saying that people with stubble look desperate and old? Because I know a few people who sport the stubbly look and... Just kidding. I get what you're saying.

The facial hair activates a range of associations and we'll have to wait until the film is released to have a surer sense of which of those are going to be made salient by Snyder et al. Your readings make sense, I think. But I don't see how it's a leap to suggest that the stubble is very much of a piece with a look that is, on the whole, more intimidating than previous live-action iterations. Desperation works, but that reading puts us at a very short distance from a sense of dangerousness. A desperate man can be a dangerous man. There's the intimidation. I detect the suggestion that, in comparison with previous live-action Batmen, this latest incarnation has forsworn a bit more of his already tenuous alliance with civility and/or stability (I'm talking about stereotypical signs of civility; a clean-shaven look, for better or worse, still carries a certain cachet, and many filmmakers rely on such potent visual cues). I mean, this is all speculative, but the stubble seems to indicate, in miniature, the whole revisionist approach: this is a Batman who is a little edgier. He maybe plays a little dirtier than previous iterations. He's more weary and morose. To put it crudely: he's seen some shit.

This isn't exactly a new idea, either, right? Quite obviously, there are no hard and fast rules, and no exact correspondence between stubble and dangerous and/or troubled psychologies. Yet certain associations have been established via cinema and television, among other mediums. Walter White is a good example. In Breaking Bad, Cranston's facial hair seems indivisible from my sense of the character's wickedness and hubris (this is hardly a revelatory point, since these physical changes clearly coincided with his darker internal developments). As with the picture of Affleck and his stubble, you can't look at Cranston's facial hair in isolation. It's a component to a larger and, in Cranston's case, craggier landscape (just as Affleck's stubble is complemented by his posture, scowl, glare, bulkiness, etc.; all of these elements amount to what I believe is a somewhat intimidating presence, at least in comparison to most of the previous examples).

You could also look at the character of Wesley Wyndham-Pryce, from Angel:

He starts out as a physically inept, erudite softie. Later, certain events catalyze his transformation into a worldweary, Byronic hero and a rather formidable threat. Again, the creative team behind the show are playing with (and reinforcing) familiar cues and attendant ideas. How was this "new" Wesley allied with sexiness and danger and whatnot? Well, that's a complicated question, but one of the key methods entailed swapping his clean shaven look for some stubble. A bold and eminently readable change, to be sure. I'm just bringing up these examples to clarify my perspective. In these cases, facial hair is mobilized in a way that doesn't seem all that dissimilar (in terms of the associations that come to mind) from the picture of Affleck as Batman.

An unkempt look suggests unkempt methods. Physical dishevelment can adumbrate psychic dishevelment. Hence, the intimidation. That's my point. I don't think this is a radical interpretation of that image.
    Last edited by Gittes; 05-01-2015 at 10:26 PM.

This is going off topic a bit, but I'm now recalling other examples that aren't as germane to the discussion of the picture of Affleck as Batman and its particular associations. There's Jack's hirsute phases in Lost, for instance, which accompanies some of his more grief laden periods in that show. There's also that episode of Frasier that focuses on Frasier growing a beard and the implications of that, how it informs his personality and his friendship with Roz, makes him newly sexy, etc. Oh, and there's Jerry and George growing moustaches on Seinfeld, Stan's incredible beard in Mad Men, and Joaquin Phoenix's impressive muttonchops in Inherent Vice, which very deliberately recalls Neil Young. I'm probably forgetting a really good and obvious example.

By the way, I know we're not debating the fact that facial hair can signal different things. I'm just bringing up these other examples for fun. Lots of memorable uses of facial hair across cinema and television.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    First pic of Will Smith as "Deadshot".

This is going to be the new Batman and Robin, isn't it?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Wow.

DC is now trying to claim the Joker pic was a big joke.

This attempt to backtrack is pathetic.

They should just say "yeah we listened to you. It's terrible. We're going to try something else."

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I know pretty much nothing about the character, besides the fact that a mask typically covers his entire face and they'll probably revise this in the film. What's the problem with this picture? I'm not questioning your judgment or anything. Just curious because I don't know a lot about Deadshot.

"Since Deadshot is black in our movie, let's make him look like a pimp!"

Better than his original costume.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I feel like the DC universe movies are such a train wreck already...I can't take my eyes away.

Honestly I'll be surprised if half the announced titles actually end up getting made.

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I should also add that, while I understand that Batman & Robin is trash to many people, I think it's pretty cool. Not without its problems, but the widespread hate no longer matches my own perspective.

No, I'm not saying it's "cool" because Thurman is attractive (I mean, she is attractive, but that's really neither here nor there in terms of discussing the virtues of the movie). I love the lurid splendour in that .gif. It's very neat that we got a live-action Batman movie that operated on such a vivid and decidedly bonkers wavelength.
    Last edited by Gittes; 05-02-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Impressive. Only question mark I have is King Shark/Croc?*.

Last edited by Dukefrukem; 05-03-2015 at 11:42 PM.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I feel like Tom Hardy would have been better playing Captain Boomerang. He's already got the Bane coat.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Clearer shot of Adewale as Killer Croc:

Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

But seriously, WB/DC need to get new photographers for their promo shots for this movie. Or at least a photoshopper that won't colour-time and juice the contrast to make them look like they're out of a bad goth-cosplay catalogue.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Oh and who wants to take bets [
    ](far left guy)

So who all is who in that pic?

(left to right) No idea who Adam Beach is playing [
    ] Captain Boomerang, (Katana is crouching), Enchantress, Rick Flagg, Harley Quinn, Deadshot, King Shark/Killer Croc (can't tell who but it looks like Adewale so Croc) El Diablo,

It should have a caption "Joker couldn't make it as we are completely redoing his costume."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    It should have a caption "Joker couldn't make it as we are completely redoing his costume."
    Wasn't that a major factor with the response to the Joker picture: That they didn't have to reveal a costume since he was, y'know, shirtless? Which made the reaction even more confusingly delirious since he's likely not even in the movie that way.

Anyway, Smith posted this too:

Is every character gonna have shit written on them?!

EDIT: EVEN THE RIFLE
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 05-04-2015 at 12:50 AM.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Looks like they ripped it from the Arkham games.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    God, now I'm just reminded of how condescending those hints in Arkham games could be. Look at that: "Takedowns are risky. Takedowns are risky. Takedowns are risky." Maybe I should be careful about my takedowns.
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 05-04-2015 at 03:07 AM.

The speed at which this weird ass project is seemingly moving along is crazy to me.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I'm surprisingly good with most of this.

Just wish they went the mo-cap route with Killer Croc, though. He and El Diablo look like they're about to go bowling.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Only impressed with Katana, Harley Quinn, and the masked Deadshot.

Diablo, Boomerang, and Beach are straight up horrible. Boomerang looks like an advertisement for a halloween outfit. So does El Diablo.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter