Page 27 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC/WB Superhero Movies Thread

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I saw the lines and heard the voices, and I thought, "FilmCow?" And I checked and was happy.

On that note, Professor Toothy.

If he really looks like that I hope he's in the movie as little as possible.

I have a feeling this thread will be quoted a lot later.

Anyone who suspects Joker will play a minimal role is kidding themselves.

Joker and Deashot are so obviously going to be the key players.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Makes sense, I guess. There's probably a Batman-Waller standoff over her pardoning Joker.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Ayer is now saying that the tattoos aren't real and are covering up heavy scarring.

Back pedal much?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Makes sense, I guess. There's probably a Batman-Waller standoff over her pardoning Joker.
    Are you referring to something that happened in the comic books? That sounds so weird. How could someone make a convincing argument for pardoning the Joker?

Quote Quoting Gittes (view post)
    Are you referring to something that happened in the comic books? That sounds so weird. How could someone make a convincing argument for pardoning the Joker?
    That is the entire premise of Suicide Squad. The government using supervillains to do deniable mercenary work in exchange for commuting their sentences.

Yes, using an insane mass murderer like Joker in this way makes no sense, which is why Waller in the comics would never do it.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

That is the entire premise of Suicide Squad. The government using supervillains to do deniable mercenary work in exchange for pardons.

Yes, using an insane mass murderer like Joker in this way makes no sense, which is why Waller in the comics would never do it.
    I've been thinking part of it will be breaking into Arkham to get the Joker out? Maybe he has intel or something?

ANyway, good on Ayer to use the feedback to change things up if that's the case.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Or the Silence of the Lambs approach, I guess.
    Movie Theater Diary

Another reason not to freak out about the Joker promos...both official releases have been homages to comic book panels that are well known. They could just be sorta recreating them as a fun way to keep new stuff coming out, and may not have much to do with the actual film.

This is what I assumed...and any deeper involvement would be ala the animated Batman Arkham movie that came out last year or so. Could be wrong, just speculation.

What's that? Going to him for information? He breaks out at the end with Harley?

Guess that makes sense since there's a pic of Leto holding his phone to show off footage to someone, and someone figured out it's him wearing a straitjacket.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This would be one time I am glad for internet backlash if they manage to get rid of the tattoos.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Ayer is now saying that the tattoos aren't real and are covering up heavy scarring.

Back pedal much?
    Well that's disappointing. :\

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    What's that? Going to him for information? He breaks out at the end with Harley?
    This is what I was hoping the movie would be based on. And then we get a Batman movie with the Joker as the main villain.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Unconfirmed viral marketing.

And this

- - - - -
    My question for 8 & other comic book nerds:

In the popular imagination, you think there's a distinction between the Joker in mainstream movies & television & the Joker in comic books?

I ask because if you're only casually familiar with this character & his representation in pop culture --- Caesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill, etc --- then he seems more trickster than psychopath.

I mean, if somebody has never read A Death in the Family, then a Waller pardon isn't a big deal. On the other hand, the closer you get to that character the creepier he becomes.

- - - - -
    Also I didn't see the official photos or anything but the Joker in that Nicholson video looks like somebody designed him after visiting Hot Topic for inspiration.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    My question for 8 & other comic book nerds:

In the popular imagination, you think there's a distinction between the Joker in mainstream movies & television & the Joker in comic books?

I ask because if you're only casually familiar with this character & his representation in pop culture --- Caesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill, etc --- then he seems more trickster than psychopath.

I mean, if somebody has never read A Death in the Family, then a Waller pardon isn't a big deal. On the other hand, the closer you get to that character the creepier he becomes.
    It's an interesting point, but for the in-universe argument, the reason why I said Waller would never recruit Joker is that, sadistic psycho or not, why would you want a loud, crazy trickster on your mercenary team? Waller uses villains like Boomerang, Deadshot, and Bronze Tiger because they're assassin types who can be managed.

For the larger argument, regardless of how the non-comic reading public think of him, he is understood to be Batman's archfoe. Even if you've only been exposed to the benign steals-your-homework Joker of the 50s and 60s, you still know that he's the villain Batman considers his greatest enemy, and I think that statement alone carries a certain notoriety because of who Batman is to the public. The premise will always be "there's a government program that forgives the crimes of the one person Batman hates the most." It just sounds a bit silly.

It's why the original Suicide Squad comics used obscure villains. As obscure as Deadshot and Count Vertigo might be to laymen who don't watch cartoons or the CW shows, they were really obscure and rarely used characters even among comic fans before SS put them front and center. Because the whole idea (both in and out of the universe) was to take C-listers with potential and reinvent them, and no one would care. When you start running known supervillains, there's a lot of baggage that comes with them. The biggest one being: the name is Suicide Squad. They're meant to be disposable soldiers, and any of the characters can die during missions. Are people supposed to think Joker's gonna bite it?
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Okay. Gotta admit that was a great post. Loved every word.

Follow up question: What you said about the comics makes sense, but in the context of the movie franchise, how do you sell that?

Your point about reimagining characters nobody knew or cared about makes me think they stuck the Joker into the movie to help sell it. Maybe because Warners doesn't have the confidence to attempt a Guardians of the Galaxy type thing.

That's my thinking, too. I said a few pages back that the moment they announced Joker's in the movie, I knew that the movie's marketing would revolve entirely around him. And look, it has.

To be fair, the same thing happened with the comics, too. It's the reason why they made Harley Quinn a member when they relaunched it for The New 52 and put her on the cover of every issue.

I'm not judging it based on the inclusion yet. I think it's a weird take, but within the movie they might make it work depending on what they do with him. To go back to the original point, I just think it makes sense for Ben Affleck to be in this movie, because it would be even weirder if the government is recruiting the Joker and Batman doesn't care.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Ha, to your other point I'd love it if the marketing was a Scream-style fake out. Feature the Joker prominently, talk up Leto, but he gets "killed" in the first 15 minutes of the movie.

Warners wouldn't have the stones to do that, though.