Page 16 of 140 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC/WB Superhero Movies Thread

No I'm not joking. I see no reason why she couldn't be an inch or two taller than Bats and Supes.

I mean, it's hardly the most important pasty of her character. But seeing as how Snyder cares very little for story and character depth, this is a damning sign.

And Irish, I love ya, but your "I'm so jaded and know the corrupt superficiality of the Hollywood system" a schtick is starting to get really old. I suggest you find a new horse to flog, my friend.

- - - - -
    "Pasty of her character"? That's either one helluva Freudian slip or the best autocorrect typo I've ever seen.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I dunno, she looks like she could kick my ass.

Autocorrect!

I like my iPhone, but I still despise typing on a touch screen.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I dunno, she looks like she could kick my ass.
    Is that really saying much, though?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Is that really saying much, though?
    It sure isn't.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    It really surprises me that so many people are up in arms about this whole Amazonian ideal thing, but I don't know enough about the character, and what is the Internet for if not cultural pedantry? My deal is, her strength has to do with her supernal nature more than how much she's flexing. Could she be bigger? Sure, but it's not like that actually has any impact on her power or strength. I mean, it's not like Superman's ripped, hairy, confusingly arousing chest is the reason he can hoist an oil rig.

There are two significant issues to this character: how well Gal Godot can act and how well the Goyer-originated story justifies and utilizes her. Her musclely muscleness is irrelevant by comparison.

That's what I was getting at DaMU - being someone who feels strongly that slavish adherence to source material is lame, I'd be a hypocrite to write her off based on what appears to be a kind of un-Wonder Womany physique.

But with Goyer and Snyder helming, neither of which write well or even seem to care that writing and character exist (respectively), her physicality is about all there is to be interested in.

Snyder makes shallow movies. If even the shallow bits suck, there's not much left to praise.

- - - - -
    No I'm not joking. I see no reason why she couldn't be an inch or two taller than Bats and Supes.
    Except the character has never been presented this way. She's an Amazon, not Giganta.

Then there's real world considerations (much as you seem to loathe them, they exist)-- Affleck is 6'4 and Cavill is 6'0.

being someone who feels strongly that slavish adherence to source material is lame, I'd be a hypocrite to write her off based on what appears to be a kind of un-Wonder Womany physique.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Except the character has never been presented this way. She's an Amazon, not Giganta.
    She's often been presented that way, though...

You know the Amazon women in the DC comics are supposed to be huge, right? It's even the basis of the planet Amazonia in Futurama.

Read the rest of my post, man. I explain myself pretty clearly.

Eh, I disagree about your take on Snyder - he can be shallow, for sure, but not always or exclusively. And while I say "Goyer-originated," Chris Terrio taking over writing duties has been an encouraging development. Whatever we can do to dilute the Goyerness.

We're finally getting some form of Wonder Woman on the big screen. Its a start. All these characters have to start somewhere.

- - - - -
    She's often been presented that way, though… You know the Amazon women in the DC comics are supposed to be huge, right?
    Check out the comics and the animated shows. She's very carefully presented as shorter than both Superman and Batman. And not much bigger than the average woman. This is because the comics follow social convention. They want the art to reflect a specific power hierarchy.

Read the rest of my post, man. I explain myself pretty clearly.
    I did. I was pointing out the contradiction. At first you argue that her appearance isn't close enough to what you believe the source material to be. In a follow up, you then call that sort of argument "lame."

Anyway, some examples:
    []

The most wondrous thing about her is that food continues to pass through her waist.

But I acknowledged my argument as hypocritical and gave an explanation.

The first few pics you posted are ooollllld school and of course show her shorter. The last two she's crouched and sitting, so doesn't really count.

Check out The New Frontier. I'd love to see her portrayed that way (physically).

And Irish, I love ya, but your "I'm so jaded and know the corrupt superficiality of the Hollywood system" a schtick is starting to get really old. I suggest you find a new horse to flog, my friend.
    This film kind of lends itself to that perspective, though. The swift introduction of so many heroes into what is allegedly a sequel to a Superman movie, ostensibly in the interest of hastening the arrival of a lucrative Justice League film, strikes me as one of the industry's more transparently mercenary gambits. I'll try to approach the final product with an open mind, though.

Think of it as the anti-Marvel. Instead of a bunch of movies introducing the characters leading up to a collaboration, they start with the big group film and unspool from there.

Not saying its a good or bad move, just different. I hope it works. It could.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I literally watched this episode today.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Crowd reaction is awesome.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Wonder Woman is almost always drawn as being a similar size to her counterparts in modern comics.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Very Snyder-ish.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -

Serious question: Would you opt not to see a movie because you disagreed with one of the star's on an important issue?

Serious question: Would you opt not to see a movie because you disagreed with one of the star's on an important issue?
    not a chance. But then, i'm entirely apolytical.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]