Thread: The DC/WB Superhero Movies Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    How much did Deadpool make? I figure Joker comes out of the gate with $50-$60 mill. If it truly leads to a Joaquin Phoenix nomination, it probably will beat Deadpool.

The middle-aged incel stuff is only a twitter thing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    The middle-aged incel stuff is only a twitter thing.
    I meant in terms of audience. "Joker" advertises like a psychological thriller that borders on horror; it's a movie with limited appeal.

People traditionally don't turn out for serious material they think will depress them. (Cf: "Logan" and "Nightcrawler," both of which made good money relative to their budgets but had modest takes compared to other movies in their genres.)

The closest analogue to "Joker" isn't "Deadpool" or "Aquaman." It's "Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile."

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I meant in terms of audience. "Joker" advertises like a psychological thriller that borders on horror; it's a movie with limited appeal.

People traditionally don't turn out for serious material they think will depress them. (Cf: "Logan" and "Nightcrawler," both of which made good money relative to their budgets but had modest takes compared to other movies in their genres.)

The closest analogue to "Joker" isn't "Deadpool" or "Aquaman." It's "Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile."
    Logan made $226 million. Joker would love that and will probably do around the same amount.

Looking forward to it, but the Venice raves are exactly what happens in Telluride for something like Waves and Judy... Always need to wait for the second wave of reviews in these type of cases.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

You're not wrong, but you also seem to be assuming normies are as invested and researched in cinema as we are and...erm

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    You're not wrong, but you also seem to be assuming normies are as invested and researched in cinema as we are and...erm
    No research required. I saying normies won't see this based on the ads alone. Pop predicted it'd make more than "Deadpool" but I don't think that will happen because Phoenix isn't Reynolds and the material here is waaaay too dark.

Yeah I'm not making any box office predictions.

I'm just saying theres a bulk of cinema goers that see no trailers, just show up and say "whats playing now? One please."

Edit: that's not speculation, btw. I've seen it with my own eyes.
    Last edited by Skitch; 09-02-2019 at 04:37 PM.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'm just saying theres a bulk of cinema goers that see no trailers, just show up and say "whats playing now? One please."

Edit: that's not speculation, btw. I've seen it with my own eyes.
    Yeah. Nobody does this, really. I mean, I've seen people show up at the last minute and make choices off the cuff, but they have a sense of who's in the movie and what it's about before they slap down their 10 bucks.

Otherwise, what are they basing the choice on? The title alone?

This would suggest ticket buyers --- at least a group large enough to move the needle --- wandered into movies like "Hereditary," and "Midsommar" without a clue. I don't buy it. (Taken to the next logical step, it'd also mean people rented or streamed movies without knowing anything about them, and I don't think that happens either.)

I think you might be underestimating the ubiquity of advertising. Not just on TV, where trailers play constantly, but on social media. I've seen 15 second ad spots for "Joker" online without trying and the movie isn't out for another month.

Either way, randos wasting their money won't push the movie past the $300MM+ mark in North America.

(I'm not making too many predictions, either, but I'm kinda curious now. If Pop turns out to be right, that'd be pretty exciting.)

Yeah. Nobody does this, really.
    Okay, I'm lying. What the fuck, man? I literally have seen this with my own eyeballs and you say no I havent.

Yeah. Nobody does this, really. I mean, I've seen people show up at the last minute and make choices off the cuff, but they have a sense of who's in the movie and what it's about before they slap down their 10 bucks.

Otherwise, what are they basing the choice on? The title alone?
    *AHEM* I worked at an upper middle brow arthousey multiplex a few years ago and I can say this happens. All. The. Time. I don't understand it, but I think people are in the neighborhood and are trying to kill time or something. Lots of older people would come in and flip through the synopsis book and/or look at the actors and title and such. People like this would ask us for advice, but usually people like that are so normie tier in their taste in entertainment, that we would give them the most middle brow "safe" movie we were playing (ie. Brooklyn over The Lobster even if most of the employees preferred The Lobster).
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6