View Poll Results: Despicable Me 2

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

3 33.33%
  • Nay

6 66.67%

Thread: Despicable Me 2 (Pierre Coffin & Chris Renaud)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar

Despicable Me 2 (Pierre Coffin & Chris Renaud)

Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    It's okaaayyy.

Mildly thrilling in spots, mildly funny in others, distinctly visually imaginative seemingly whenever there's nothing else particularly interesting happening story-wise, and the bits that blend all three of those aspects together for noticable stretches are the highlights, even if they feel especially brief, just like the film's overall length and lasting impression.

For the amount of times it's destined to be replayed by and for kids in homes for years and years, it's not particularly strong enough in any real regard for parents to grow irratated by it (unless they're especially annoyed by the Minions, in which case I have some bad news about a certain movie coming out next Holiday season). More than a lot of big animated or other generally young-skewing films, it feels so absolutely and solely made for kids. It's just conceived and delivered at such a simplistic level that there's no real danger either of losing its target audience or of its characters being in any. And that's fine I guess, but the lack of any real thematic or dramatic nuance or tension really doesn't leave much to cling onto in a big setpieces for someone like me (over 6 but not a parent).

There are hardly any stakes or too many major developments along the way to discern this from being anything other than a less original sequel to a pretty solid and successful film. The plot basically amounts to (and I guess I will spoiler this): [
    ]

It is what it is. (Except somehow it's also become an absolute juggernaut at the box office, now #2 for all of 2013.)

**1/2 / C+
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Not as good (or cute) or sentimental and heartwarming as the first. Mildly entertaining.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?