Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead (Season 4)

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Prediction.

[
    ]
    Then everyone would have it. Because everyone drinks the water.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Then everyone would have it. Because everyone drinks the water.
    Second prediction.

[
    ]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Seriously? The Governor fuckin returns?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Seriously? The Governor fuckin returns?
    Duh. Why wouldn't he?

Happens in the comics too.

But yeah, the intro of him at the end was kind of comical. He just isn't as villainous enough to truly earn that.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Just didn't figure it would be so soon.

And could it be more obvious that Carol will show up to save the day at some point in this season?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Just didn't figure it would be so soon.

And could it be more obvious that Carol will show up to save the day at some point in this season?
    Oh no. I didn't consider the idea.

And she isn't listed to do any upcoming TV or movie work elsewhere, so it probably will happen.

Dang. I was hoping she was done.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    I did like this previous episode for the focus on Hershel. Wilson did a great job.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Because this show doesn't believe in attention to detail or continuity concerns.
    This. Because I'm pretty sure this whole fence problem could have been solved if they simply did what Michonne did with her two "pets" last season. Break off the jaws and arms of walkers, string them up along the fence perimeter and you'd think it'd be enough to keep away the others. Andrea even did it at one point.

Then again, I never understood why everyone left the town and moved to a dank prison. Seemed like it should have been the other way around.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

The episode where Rick let Carol go must have been the worst written episode of the franchise thus far.

Except that I loved the scene with Daryl and the alchy. I just thought it was a really sloppy setup and execution.

I am always impressed with their music selection.

I loved last night's episode.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Seriously fucking agreed, meg. That might've been the best episode to date.

Nobody agrees? I know Den of Geek had a mildly negative opinion of it.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Nobody agrees? I know Den of Geek had a mildly negative opinion of it.
    I appreciate it's attempt at a change-up, similar to getting an episode juxtaposing Rick and Carol's adventures in scavenging with Daryl and Co's adventures a couple episodes ago, but I thought it was a hella boring episode. Primarily because I don't find the Governor very interesting at all. I'm curious where they are going with this, but I was still dismayed that I had to spend an entire episode of the season focused on a character that I have never really cared about and am not particularly eager to get to know. What dimensions of this guy were revealed from this episode? That we had him pegged all wrong as a cartoonish villian last season? That he's got dead daughter issues? They're trying to erase the wrongs done to that character last season, and maybe they will accomplish the task, but it's going to be a slog getting there. And from the previews it looks like we'll be spending all of next episode with him too. *sigh* I'd rather have an episode dedicated solely to how Carol is getting on having been outcast from the group. I actually care what happens to her.

Overall I do think the season is strong. Or at least stronger than it's been in the past.

I like the changeup, but kind of found it boring. The backup characters seem like the subplot characters we see in every episode. They don't have anything new to add, and look like zombie bait.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Run to me child! Run to me! This is the time and place for us to patiently wait for your hesitating ass.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

this whole season has been a big let down. In fact, not even sure I like the show, since I can't recall being engaged since about halfway through season 2. I may be watching only because I enjoy the comics now that I've begun reading them.

Until this morning, I've been about 2 episodes behind all season and haven't really cared if I caught up.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

OH MY GOD

What a monumental fucking waste of time these last two episodes have been. The plotting on this show is the television writing equivalent of a hamster wheel.

I'll agree on the two episodes. We realize that he almost has a change of heart, but not really at all. I don't get the point of it. Take away the last two episodes, go right to this finale, and I don't think we'd have lost a beat.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Yeah... I disagree. Not sure why the last two episodes need to drive the plot forward at all. When did TV suddenly become judged by its forward plot momentum?

Not to mention, wouldn't the questions exist about how the Governor got a new following when he attacked the prison if we just skipped it? It didn't need to be two full episodes, but I liked it. I liked that the Governor is doomed in the lawless post-apocalypse setting to follow the same cycle. His name is changed, he's more broken than before, but he still can't overcome himself. They talked about it on Talking Dead, but I did think it was a nice re-genesis that he obtained a "wife and child" again and now has re-asserted his leadership over people and desire to destroy Rick, Michonne and everyone else.

I think the lack of progress for the character, and the redundancy with before, is entirely the point. My biggest complaint is that he can only stare off in the distance so many times. I did find that redundancy annoying.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    When did TV suddenly become judged by its forward plot momentum?
    Since its inception? TV has always been a heavy commercial medium, and that aspect demands narrative.

Also: It's a show about a zombie Apocolypse.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Since its inception? TV has always been a heavy commercial medium, and that aspect demands narrative.

It was with 100% certainty that when I typed that, you would respond with this retort in some form or another. I practically was raising an Irish signal into the sky.

And of course it needs a flippin' story. It had a story, it just didn't progress any further to the finale than we were two episodes ago. I don't see why that matters. And please don't tell me what TV is, as though we should draw some kind of box that every thing that is created must fit in becau...

Ok, nevermind.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Yeah... I disagree. Not sure why the last two episodes need to drive the plot forward at all. When did TV suddenly become judged by its forward plot momentum?

Not to mention, wouldn't the questions exist about how the Governor got a new following when he attacked the prison if we just skipped it? It didn't need to be two full episodes, but I liked it. I liked that the Governor is doomed in the lawless post-apocalypse setting to follow the same cycle. His name is changed, he's more broken than before, but he still can't overcome himself. They talked about it on Talking Dead, but I did think it was a nice re-genesis that he obtained a "wife and child" again and now has re-asserted his leadership over people and desire to destroy Rick, Michonne and everyone else.

I think the lack of progress for the character, and the redundancy with before, is entirely the point. My biggest complaint is that he can only stare off in the distance so many times. I did find that redundancy annoying.
    That may have been the point but it was still a waste of time. An insulting one at that. They pulled the old bait-and-switch. Two episodes ago: We are trying to bring nuance and depth to this once one-dimensional caricature of a villian. This episode: Just kidding, he's as ridiculous as he always was with the exact same motivations except now it's a live surrogate family rather than a dead one. There is still nothing that I know about the Governor now that I didn't know last season and panning to the back of his head two episodes ago I would have expected the same bullshit we are about to get from this character but I wouldn't have had to wade through two hours of a fake out.

And it isn't only about lack of forward movement in the last couple episodes. It's about being in virtually the same narrative position that we were at this time a season ago. I don't know where the show is going to head, but the last time we pitted our group at war with the Governor, the second half of the season took a nose-dive in quality from the first half. I can't help but expect history to repeat itself. Not killing this character and opting to revisit familiar but previously unsuccessful narrative territory is a mistake.

- - - - -
    And of course it needs a flippin' story. It had a story, it just didn't progress any further to the finale than we were two episodes ago. I don't see why that matters. And please don't tell me what TV is, as though we should draw some kind of box that every thing that is created must fit in becau...
    TV is a box with hard lines. To think otherwise is to be painfully naive or willfully stupid. There are no subcultures on TV. No arthouse. No indie. No underground. TV is singular in its purpose. It's all mainstream.

Ok, nevermind.
    It matters because if you play in a genre, you have to give genre its due. That means a constantly moving narrative. People aren't tuning into a show about a zombie Apocolypse for subtley and character development and quiet moments. They want brains. And occasionally, more paramedics.

This is, I have to admit, something that Vince Gilligan understood on a fundamental level with Breaking Bad. He knew exactly where the line was between introspection and explosion, and when and how to deliver each to the fans. The guy had a knack for timing and pacing.

Gale Anne Hurd and the team behind Walking Dead? Not so much.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    TV is a box with hard lines. To think otherwise is to be painfully naive or willfully stupid. There are no subcultures on TV. No arthouse. No indie. No underground. TV is singular in its purpose. It's all mainstream.
    Twin peaks? Also, what about shows with cult followings (underground)?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Twin peaks? Also, what about shows with cult followings (underground)?
    It went 30 episodes over the course of a single calendar year. The ratings dipped after each airing, from 30 million viewers at its premiere to around 10 when it was cancelled. Which was too bad. That show was waaaaay ahead of its time (by about a decade).

But it's also a good example of a genre show -- murder mystery -- that defied too many expectations. (AMC's The Killing is another one.)

Not sure what I'd call "underground" at this point. I mean, especially on cable, we're largely talking about pre-packaged, pre-existing, corporate owned media. I'm not sure how underground something can be when the producers drop $4 mil an episode and the show is advertised everywhere.

Did you have a show in mind? I'm at a loss.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast