Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead (Season 4)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

The Walking Dead (Season 4)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar

The Walking Dead (Season 4)

Thought the premiere wasn't bad, but definitely nowhere near great or exactly excitement-instilling for this season to come. It had some small poignant moments, paired with some big super-dumb™ moments. Some fruitful plot ideas that didn't quite seem pan out or resolve as strongly, and some really basic character stuff that was more surprisingly gratifying than I expected (especially since these characters don't exactly the most dimension to them).

Basically it was the most exemplary episode of the show in its current state that I could have imagined seeing, and there it is right out of the gate. Such is this show, I guess. It's an expectation-meeter, for better or worse.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

bump

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I thought it was one of the best episodes yet. Loved the opening and the way the show gradually introduced information about the new order of the community, Michonne's obsession with the governor and the distinction between the community life and the outside life, bleeding (literally) into one another at the rather grahpic and disturbing method of preventing the walkers from overruning the fence. The grocery store action set piece was really well executed, especially loved the almost poetic shots of zombies falling from the sky. I also loved the final scene between Rick and Kerry Conran's cameo character who seems a more pathetic and sad version of a cross between the Governor's obsession and Rick's lingering trauma of what has been taken from him.

I am really looking forward to the Gimple era.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

While the grocery invasion scene may very well be the best action sequence compiled on the show, doesn't it feel like the entire episode was a formula? Nothing really progressed, everything was just re-established, which I suppose may be the point. It'll remind everyone where we're at, while also bringing in new viewers, but this is the difference between a series like this and something great like Breaking Bad.

But yeah, what a great action scene in the grocery store! I shouldn't come across so negative on the show, because this portion was awesome.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Grocery store.

[
    ]

By the way, how did that many zombies end up on the roof?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Helicopter crash.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Helicopter crash.
    All the helicopters I've seen only fit 4-6 people.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I was joking. It didn't really make sense.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

They had zombie babies which obviously grow at faster than normal rates. Duh.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

No this is the best one yet.

Well, I suppose it's possible there was a group of survivors on the roof when the helicopter crashed.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Well, I suppose it's possible there was a group of survivors on the roof when the helicopter crashed.
    There's a sad thought!

Time for survival... This guy fucking sucks at landing a helicopter. AND WE'RE DEAD.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This show is still so herpderp.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I was more emotionally moved by the piglet sacrifice scene than the last 50 human deaths on this show.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    This show is still so herpderp.
    Then why are you watching it?

If you don't like something, don't watch it.

Not sure of the issue. It's on the nose and corny, but I find it endearingly dedicated. I prefer this to the group bickering we got all through the frequently irritating and interminable second season.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Then why are you watching it?

If you don't like something, don't watch it.
    Because it became tolerable again in Season 3 but now it's back to stupidity. The blood spraying suddenly in Rick's face from the piglet was the dumbest shit. That whole problem was idiotic. The amount of time it takes to stab a bunch of people in the head while lined up against a wall is significantly shorter than the length of time it takes for a bunch more to over run a wall. Plus we have an 'oh my god the wall is coming down' moment! Followed by a 10 minute interlude while they round up the pigs and bring the car around. It's such false drama bullshit garbage.

Also Rick's don't touch me to his son! Follow by just hugging him and then letting him go back and HUG/TOUCH the other two people. They are doing a shit job of isolation and containment for people making such a big deal about it. This happened with a number of people.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Not sure of the issue. It's on the nose and corny, but I find it endearingly dedicated. I prefer this to the group bickering we got all through the frequently irritating and interminable second season.
    Yes well, season two was an all time low.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Because it became tolerable again in Season 3 but now it's back to stupidity. The blood spraying suddenly in Rick's face from the piglet was the dumbest shit. That whole problem was idiotic. The amount of time it takes to stab a bunch of people in the head while lined up against a wall is significantly shorter than the length of time it takes for a bunch more to over run a wall. Plus we have an 'oh my god the wall is coming down' moment! Followed by a 10 minute interlude while they round up the pigs and bring the car around. It's such false drama bullshit garbage.

Also Rick's don't touch me to his son! Follow by just hugging him and then letting him go back and HUG/TOUCH the other two people. They are doing a shit job of isolation and containment for people making such a big deal about it.
    Urm, just how much realism do you expect from shows that are about THE WALKING DEAD?

Just enough that one can overlook the genre premise, or enough that the protagonists aren't equally as silly?

Please don't mistake me for someone who's defending the show. But I'm with Daniel: why the heck are you even watching it? Oh, right. Because it used to be tolerable.

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Also Rick's don't touch me to his son! Follow by just hugging him and then letting him go back and HUG/TOUCH the other two people. They are doing a shit job of isolation and containment for people making such a big deal about it. This happened with a number of people.
    That makes sense.

I liked S3 quite a bit. Only watched a bit of S2 off and on - seemed like nothing much happened.

It's still been downhill since the first episode, though.

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Urm, just how much realism do you expect from shows that are about THE WALKING DEAD?

Just enough that one can overlook the genre premise, or enough that the protagonists aren't equally as silly?

Please don't mistake me for someone who's defending the show. But I'm with Daniel: why the heck are you even watching it? Oh, right. Because it used to be tolerable.

That is PRECISELY my problem with it. It makes pretenses towards naturalism but then indulges in standard genre cliche. I would rather it embrace it's ridiculousness stylistically or alternatively take itself as earnestly as it pretends to. Which is to say, don't generate false drama (season two well scene was the most egregious example).
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast