Watched the first episode, and I'm going to recommend it. It's a BBC period piece about an organized crime family in post-WWI Birmingham. Succeeds fairly well in being appropriately grim and gritty, though sometimes trying a little too hard to shock. The Peaky Blinders is a fairly small family operation with a far reach (so far, into theft, "protection," and gambling.) When they accidentally become involved in a matter of national security, new enforcement comes to town in the person of Sam Neill, who is an aggressive and calculating enforcer who isn't interested in getting on the P.B. payroll.

Cillian Hinds (who I am so, so weirdly attracted to) is perfect in the main role as the power-behind-the-power of the crime family, and as always with the BBC the production values are top-notch. They do a great job of painting the narrow time and place of the action.

Side note: I hate the perfectly-2013 hairstyle of the blond Irish lady. Why would you do this to me? The other girls have period hair.