View Poll Results: World War Z (Marc Forster)

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

16 57.14%
  • Nay

12 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World War Z (Marc Forster)

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar

World War Z (Marc Forster)

TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Found it rather intense, but the ending stunk of rewrites and reshoots. I'd like to see the original ending.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Nothing earth-shattering or even particularly genre-elevating beyond its relatively expanded scale and global coverage of a zombie outbreak, but it's solid, gripping stuff.

The way the film introduced its device for measuring the time it takes for people to turn once they're bitten was the moment where I thought, "Hmm, this is kinda impressive." It's fairly consistent from that point forward, with a few bumps along the way, but the re-shot third act brings it home with a nice, tightly-constructed finale that plays like a less bloody 28 Days/Weeks Later setpiece.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Oh man, such a hot mess. Without even peeking at IMDB, this has to be close to the worst thing that Pitt has starred in. Haven't read the novel, but this comes across as such an airless and patchwork adaptation. So much static tension and a narrative comprised of nearly nothing of interest.

Some other stray thoughts:

Brad Pitt's laugh after his daughter asks what Martial Law means.

Matthew Fox existing in this film for all of 2 minutes (nice to see you're getting good work, dude).

The fact that I care more about Pitt's relationship with shaved-head female soldier than with his wife is bad.

The complaint that the film should have been rated R is kinda off; enough bloodshed and gore found here.

2013 is apparently the year of James Badge Dale (insert shoulder shrug).

The exterior shot of Pitt's home in the very beginning makes it look like the O'Brien home in The Tree of Life (that's fucking interesting, man.)

Umm, what else? Pitt drinking that Pepsi! Fin
    blog
    twitter
    letterboxd
    almost arthouse (ep #28: remembering PSH and most anticipated 2014 films)

No way can this worse than Troy.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

yeah, probably not.
    blog
    twitter
    letterboxd
    almost arthouse (ep #28: remembering PSH and most anticipated 2014 films)

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Not a disaster by any means, but also nothing special. Worth a viewing I suppose. Definitely feels fragmented. Pacing wise it moves along fairly well for much of the running time. There's nuttiness within ten minutes and we never exactly hear what the disease is. We hear the word [
    ] once and that's it. So basically it's [
    ] on a more global scale. Unfortunately all the decent and big set pieces were spoiled in the trailers (the plane scene being the best). Even if one did not know about the reshoots, they'd still probably notice how absolutely slow the last quarter gets. The movie just grinds to a halt and turns into [
    ] I remember a long time ago when this project was announced and the artwork we saw of massive zombie battles. It's a big letdown compared even to concept art. [
    ]

About the one new thing for this film to contribute was the behavior of the "Zekes." Never before have you seen this complete disregard for a zombie's "self-preservation" if one can call it that. The film bludgeons you over the head with this concept of alien behavior within the animal kingdom in the opening credits. But I liked the idea of this virus using a mass of infected hosts as building blocks and hammers to knock over buses. I had hoped to see something really over the top like some kind of self-aware virus that communicates between hosts. We're even told that the Zekes don't like it when you kill one of them, almost lending some credence to this. But it's never explored. I did like that there wasn't any cannibalism as it seems the virus's goal was simply to spread. It helped avoid that age-old contradiction that zombies like to eat people, yet we never seen a half-eaten zombie. The nature of the Zekes however is something that the writers seem to struggle with. Some characters call them undead, yet we clearly see that they're ill and never actually died.

I like what I've seen of Enos, but she's not given anything to do here. Hey look! It's David Morse! Haven't seen him in awhil- Oh. I guess we're done with him. Okay. He was just used as exposition to move on to the next scene. Pitt's Lane appears to be the only person on Earth actually observing the Zekes' behavior and figuring anything out.

I have not read the book, but I'd like to now. Given what I've heard of it's format, I can't help but but think what this would have been like if someone like Tarantino had taken on this material. Not that he would have wanted to, but I think it would have been fascinating to see.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Biggest zombie movie opening weekend ever. Biggest Brad Pitt opening weekend ever.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Holy shit. $66 million domestic, $110 WW.

This has a higher RT rating than Man of Steel.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

There seems to be some good reviews coming out of this. With all that went on, I find that surprising. Anyone even see this?

EDIT: So far, nothing beyond "okay." Hmm...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It's actually miraculous that the movie turned out to be even half as decent as it is did, let alone leading to as much financially successful as it already has. But somewhere along the line, they decided to take steps (even hugely expensive ones) further than any production I can recall to fix their mess, and whaddya know, it's paid off ridiculously well for them.

Whether or not anyone's actually interested in the movie, the big Vanity Fair article summarizing everything around it is really worth reading. There's no spoilers for the final version of the movie, but it's incredible even just how far into the committed to the original, horribly conceived third act before completely unending it, especially since they couldn't even technically pull it off with their agreed upon PG-13.

I'm not even sure what the movie would've looked like without Goddard and Lindelof's added bits in the first half either.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

This was way better than I was expecting. Is that saying much? Probably not. It's edited very poorly during the violent scenes to keep it PG-13. But it's a few scenes short of being a good flick. I thought they had a good idea going trying to track down the origin. Moving from place to place, hearing someone recount the events that transpired, maybe some extra dramatization flash backs... that would have been a nice throwback to how the book was narrated. But that seemed to dissolve after Israel. I didn't like how they practically ignore the boy that saved them. "Hey pal, both your parents just died but watch over my little girls will ya?"

So is that really what a grenade on a plane would do?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting plain (view post)

Matthew Fox existing in this film for all of 2 minutes (nice to see you're getting good work, dude).
    He wasn't supposed to be in the movie at all. What role did he play?

I'd bet vital parts of my anatomy that it would easily compromise the integrity of the aircraft.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Oh and sequel talk already rumbling.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-sights-573814

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    He wasn't supposed to be in the movie at all. What role did he play?
    He headed up the Seal team on the chopper heading to the rooftop, shouting commands, looking for the flares. My friend claimed he was also there when [
    ]

My feeling is he had a lot more to do in the original iteration of the film, especially since he secured fifth billing or so prior to everything changing. Funny then how Lindelof of all people was essentially in charge of factoring him out of things.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    There seems to be some good reviews coming out of this. With all that went on, I find that surprising. Anyone even see this?

EDIT: So far, nothing beyond "okay." Hmm...
    Ultimately, for its more inventive, unique approaches to zombie science and intense set pieces, I'd say it's worth watching, just maybe not in theatres. The film does have some really, notably impressive sound design though. So if you do end up just catching it at home down the line, make sure it sounds nice.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

If that Vanity Fair article is to be believed, the history of the production of this movie is a lot less interesting than they want you to believe it is. Basically, there were some discussions where conflicting opinions were voiced, extras got grumpy because the caterers didn't have enough food, it went over-budget, and they did some reshoots. Sounds like the story of every big budget film production out there. Exaggerations in attempt to supplement marketing costs.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I'd bet vital parts of my anatomy that it would easily compromise the integrity of the aircraft.
    Lethal weapon 3
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Lethal weapon 3
    Took me a minute. Opening scene, right?

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Took me a minute. Opening scene, right?
    Yeah

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Best Boy
    Contagion for retards. Worthless.

Quote Quoting wigwam (view post)
    :|

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    It's like a horror game that is never boring, but ends after only a handful of levels while never being particularly scary due to its tame scares and mundanely polished atmosphere; or an action game that throws you off with a clunky stealth segment that was obviously developed in haste to pad out the length (though it's still arguably the film's best sequence). Brad Pitt playing Brad Pitt makes for an agreeable protagonist, the running time honestly feels a lot shorter than it is (all that post-production tinkering clearly paid off here), and a nihilistic tone is admirably maintained throughout, with the fate of a whiz kid set up as humanity's last hope being a blackly comic highlight in that respect.

Unfortunately, the film also feels as if it's missing a final act, the closing minutes playing like a hilariously transparent admittance by the filmmakers that they just wanted to move on with their lives so fuck it; and while I haven't seen Quantum of Solace, I'd always suspected that the widespread accusations regarding Forster's alleged incompetence at action direction were exaggerated. As it turns out, I suspected wrong, which probably explains in part why the last two set pieces worked best for me, with their self-contained environments and decreased emphasis on widespread carnage.

Otherwise, while the production values are handsome, the PG-13 rating and overreliance on video-gamey zombie hordes often leave the horror elements feeling as toothless as David Morse's amusing cameo, and like most video-games (why do I keep returning to this point of comparison?), there are a handful of nifty ideas scattered throughout that are undermined by largely insipid writing and zero poetry. On the other hand, this IS a summer blockbuster that feels nearly half its actual length, so maybe I'm undervaluing it?
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)

So is that really what a grenade on a plane would do?
    Perhaps not, but that whole scene was so intense and visually frightening that I went along with it. [
    ]

The action direction as per the zombie attacks is some of the most incoherently frenetic I've seen all year, but it's kinda telling that the zombies become scarier in the last 30 minutes when there's a few of the slower variants strolling around. The zombies in the rest of the movie aren't really scary, but a lot of the thrills come from a tremendously persuasive sense of scale and escalating discomfort.

This'll probably end up the tensest movie of the summer and I don't feel that is damning with faint praise. This was really good.

Although it begs the question: Would this have underperformed if it had been gory, rated R nastiness?

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Quote Quoting wigwam (view post)
    Well, then I'm a retard, because I much preferred this over Soderbergh's colourless dirge.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64