View Poll Results: This Is the End

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

37 84.09%
  • Nay

7 15.91%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: This Is The End (Evan Goldberg & Seth Rogen)

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    NAY.

Worked for me. A little too long, though. But there was always something funny at the right moment on screen. Franco and McBride are great. Coked up Michael Cera is a riot.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Coked up Michael Cera is a riot.
    You're mad. Cera's reaction when Jay interrupts him and his lady-friends in the bathroom is one of the best moments. That dead stare of, "GET OUT NOW."

Er.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I took that stare as a "Deal with it," or maybe the blank stare of a soulless hedonist for whom earnest emotion simply no longer exists. Either way, it was amazing.

D'OH, I misread it. Sorry, Grouchy. Sorry, all. Sorry. Sorry. :cry:

Yeah, I was saying Cera is the shit.

Ultimately weak. The Franco/McBride jerkoff dialogue is likely the nadir of film for me this year. And a lot of the camaraderie that Rogan and Goldberg try to integrate into this is undercut by how noxious these characters are, so that the final five have no real interest (when Cloverfield's leads look good in comparison, there's a problem). I second Spinal in wishing that the whole film had been comprised of people like Mindy, Aziz, and Segal. That would have been interesting--this group on screen instead is so insular that it's odious and frustrating to watch.

When the film moves beyond the group humor--mainly when it focuses on Craig Robinson--it's actually interesting. And some of the religious angles are actually informative, though I'm frustrated by how facile that element ultimately is. Most interesting were a few of the terrorist threat angles that the film explored early on...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Reposted from the Corrie. I wrote this when I was drunk too, so its awful but I like it anyways because damnit I wrote it.

This Is The End (2013, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg)

After the first ten minutes, I wasn't sure if I would find This Is End as funny as everyone else was telling me. Yet some of the decent jokes in the first ten minutes convinced me that I would at least be amused by this film. Midway through I was laughing harder than I have at probably any other comedy film I can think of in the past year or so. I loved this film's jokes (the best two being the Rosemary's Baby homage and the hardcore spoofing of The Exorcist). Clearly I'm a hypocrite for laughing at the gay jokes while supporting gay marriage, yet I'm not racist or sexist and I've laughed at such jokes as well. The ending was the only part I was not a huge fan of; still the rest of the movie is so well crafted I didn't really mind. Craig Robinson is the best thing about this film, ranging from his piano song early on to the fact that he steals most of the film's scenes. I was a little disturbed at how much I identified with Jay Baruchel's arrogance, Danny McBride's asshole qualities, Jonah Hill's ability to fake niceness to people he didn't like, and the fact that Seth Rogen seems to be liked by people. Okay so people keep telling me I'm likable but I'm not sure about that either. James Franco has this odd mixture of douchebag and pretentiousness that I've seen plenty of, and I can almost identify with that too.

Which is another reason why this film works so well: it takes each of the actors and has them, save for Robinson-who is likable no matter what-okay even him-playing up their obnoxious personalities. The cameos were also a nice bit, especially Michael Cera acting the complete opposite of what his public personality suggests he is like. I do wish there was more Emma Watson, however she was really funny and a great addition to the movie in her limited screen time. It doesn't hurt that much like other great or good comedies This is the End has multiple hilarious one liners and the talent of its wonderful cast. Oh and for some reason I didn't expect that a comedy about the end of days would have freaky monsters and horror movie moments. I keep hearing rumors about a sequel yet I would prefer if there was only one film. Especially since I'm not sure there will be a movie quite like this one any time soon.

PS: The drug scene had me crying because I was laughing so hard. So I guess that's three. We could use more super team comedies and less super team action movies these days.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I had a dream last night that we were filming a sequel, in which I was co-staring! And we did a rehash of the jerking off argument but I couldn't keep a straight face and Seth and Danny were getting mad which made me laugh more.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234