Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Live Action TV Series (Favreau)

- - - - -
    btw this week's episode is good.

I wish the season was longer. Still feels like they're finding their groove.

On the bright side, if they renamed to "BABY YODA & FRIENDS" for the second season I wouldn't mind.

It's fun to get a new Star Wars whatever every week, especially considering all the rancor and bullshit that floats around the Big Official Saga.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Yes this was the first good episode with a decent cliffhanger. The last episode I wish was longer and I have a feel we may not see the last of Bill Burr.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -

Eh, this show is awesome. I binged the first five episodes last night and that's something I NEVER do. From the music to the great atmosphere, RPG structure, world building, stunt cult casting (Nick Nolte, Carl Weathers, Werner Herzog, Gina Carano), the illustrations at the end credits... It just completely won me over like nothing Star Wars has done in a long time. Not even The Last Jedi, heh.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 12-27-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Are they all finished? I figured I could binge watch my free month and call it good for Disney+. Doubt there's anything else I'll watch on there.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeh Season 1 is done.

Was not surprised to see the last episode was directed by Taika Waititi It's clearly the best episode in the season. That stormtrooper bit at the beginning was brilliant and made me wonder who was behind it.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    They save the best for the last. Waititi behind the camera adds a lot, from humor, character interactions, to even the action. Intriguing concept for next season too.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

That was an awesome season ender.

- - - - -
    Over the top and ridiculous but felt very old-time-serial too and in keeping with the pastiche Lucas originally attempted.

Droid on a speeder bike, flame thrower trooper, and the lava river were highlights for me.

Spotted in the credits: Jason Sudeikis was Bike Speeder #1.

ETA: I had more fun watching the last 2 episodes of this than I did watching the last 3 or 4 Star Wars movies.
    Last edited by Irish; 12-28-2019 at 05:43 AM.

I can't stand the old trope where lava doesn't burn unless you touch it. It's one of the things in fiction that irks me the most.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Two episodes in and this is exactly what I would want out of a Mandalorian TV Show.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I can't stand the old trope where lava doesn't burn unless you touch it. It's one of the things in fiction that irks me the most.
    That def annoys me too, but in fantasy SW universe I can let it slide. You have to wonder how filmmakers have never seen the getup scientists have to wear just to get within 20 feet of lava for a minute or two.

Episode 3, and I ponder on the climate control that's in the Mandalorian helmets. That has to be a part of it right? Either way, they have to have tremendously bad body odor, because those things never come off.

Kind of neat not seeing a lightsaber, and one figures that all of the Baby Yoda species must be force sensitive?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Also three episodes in so far, just catching up. My lord the music is thus far uninspired. Might as well be absent. On that note, I'm enjoying the long shots/scenes without dialogue. I'm a sucker for that. Plotting is pretty basic and I can't say I'm enormously invested, but it's watchable.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

The Bill Burr - Prisoner Jail Break episode shoots to the top for me, and not just for Bill Burr. That whole ragtag group was entertaining to watch, even if it feels pretty fan-fiction at times.

It reminds me of the "Tales of the Jabba's Palace/Mos Eisley Cantina/Bounty Hunter" books that came out in the 90's that helped make me love Star Wars so much.

Two episodes to go.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    My lord the music is thus far uninspired. Might as well be absent.
    Music is perhaps one of the best things about the show. There is so much of it that Disney released a soundtrack for every episode as they came out.

I'm not hearing the wonder. Any time I do key into the music, it feels unsophisticated, even banal.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I'm not saying it's sophisticated, I'm saying it's appropriate for the show, and the first non-Williams SW score of any kind that doesn't make me regret having ears.

Finished the season (and my Disney+ subscription). The last two episodes were a good way to wrap up the season. It wasn't as "serial" as I thought it was, since there was an overall Mando/Child story with it.

If it was simply an "Adventures of Mando" for another season, I would absolutely be in for reasons already stated. The supporting cast and villains in this were far more interesting than any of the supporting characters in the New Trilogy. There wasn't really any "plot armor" for characters, and there were stakes on the line.

I imagine Disney+ is ensuring that the Obi-Wan and Darth Maul series that are coming out will be lined up so that viewers will want to keep their Disney+ subscription, because I have no idea what else I'd watch beyond this right now.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Finished the season (and my Disney+ subscription). The last two episodes were a good way to wrap up the season. It wasn't as "serial" as I thought it was, since there was an overall Mando/Child story with it.

If it was simply an "Adventures of Mando" for another season, I would absolutely be in for reasons already stated. The supporting cast and villains in this were far more interesting than any of the supporting characters in the New Trilogy. There wasn't really any "plot armor" for characters, and there were stakes on the line.

I imagine Disney+ is ensuring that the Obi-Wan and Darth Maul series that are coming out will be lined up so that viewers will want to keep their Disney+ subscription, because I have no idea what else I'd watch beyond this right now.
    Don't forget the MCU stuff.

The Star Wars catalog is nice to have as will be the Indiana Jones films.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Don't forget the MCU stuff.

The Star Wars catalog is nice to have as will be the Indiana Jones films.
    The catalog is nice, but since I own the Indiana Jones and Original Star Wars trilogy, there's no need for me to pay a monthly bill for this.

MCU shows... I'll await reviews but the only one that interests me is the What If series

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    I was extremely surprised that Dis+ didn't have anything ready to go more than this show --- the bulk of the new MCU stuff won't be released until later this year (& some not until 2021)

3 eps in, not grabbed yet. Like the general absence of familiarity, but it's nothing special. Like that it's short.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Hard to believe this got good performance work out of Gina Carano. Uses her particular strengths to its advantage.

--Homer

- - - - -
    The trick is giving limited actors as few lines as possible. cf: Keanu in "Speed" and "The Matrix."

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast