Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Live Action TV Series (Favreau)

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    That wasn't my post/point. It was Duke's.
    YOU WIN... THIS TIME, IRISH.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Ha. It's a little bit silly no? THe tracker can track a person through space but not when you're in a ship flying across the ground?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

So Episode two is 28 minutes long. Seriously. And looks like we ARE gong down that path that we all thought from the first episode.

[
    ]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So Episode two is 28 minutes long. Seriously. And looks like we ARE gong down that path that we all thought from the first episode.
    It's a bad show. I'm surprised it has a sorta videogame structure. In the first episode, Boba Jr picks up the main quest and later turns in a chit and gets an armor upgrade. The second episode is a 30 minute long sidequest featuring hoary Star Wars cliches such as Jawas and big angry monsters.

Who thought it was a good idea to hire Favreau to write every episode?

Who thought it was a good idea to hire Favreau to write every episode?
    Marvel.

The show looks damn good, but this is not going hold audiences by simply relying on obscenely expensive set pieces. The second episode was a waste of time. Is this show going to have any characters? Where are the women in this universe? I agree that they did themselves no favors by not allowing Pascal to remove the mask. The dialogue is shamefully bad. They are relying entirely on creature design to build engagement, and that's not going to be enough long term. Hopefully, the next episodes establish a better sense of character development.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Episode 3 gives us a little bit more about our main character's morals and values, but it still begins and ends as expected. It's also a generous 36 minutes long.

Baby Yoda is adorable. Adorable. The rest is kind of dumb and boring, but I will return for Baby Yoda, because I am that kind of girl.

Producer
    My favorite ep alongside the pilot, because it feels truly of expanding the world (and thanks in no small part to having Baby Yoda doing THINGS more than usual), although the biggest (and pleasant) surprise is seeing Bryce Dallas Howard in the end credit as director.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    I liked it better than the previous episodes, but if they're trying to do the old-time-serial thing, I wish the runtimes were shorter.

They dick aroubd for 30+ minutes each time when really every episode is one story beat and one big (and badly staged) action scene.

Also, The Mandolorian himself should just never talk.

I liked it much better to. I want this to be the show. Baby Yoda and Mandolorian going from planet to planet helping tribes out and encountering other hostile life. Agree Irish that the action scenes are TERRIBLY staged. Why not just throw the thermal detonator at the AT-ST? Why do you need this wacky elaborate plan to get the walker to trip into water?

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    although the biggest (and pleasant) surprise is seeing Bryce Dallas Howard in the end credit as director.
    I too was surprised by this as I announced it to my wife, who then says: "who's that?" Followed by me rolling my eyes.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I too was surprised by this as I announced it to my wife, who then says: "who's that?" Followed by me rolling my eyes.
    hahaha getting any decent sleep yet, bro?

This episode made me lose hope a bit more. There's just too few episodes that cost too much money to have this little story and development on a plot seen so many dozens of times over the years on shows like Stargate, Farscape etc. There are cool elements and The Child is still cute, but it's turning into the most expensive bunch of nothing ever.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    This episode made me lose hope a bit more. There's just too few episodes that cost too much money to have this little story and development on a plot seen so many dozens of times over the years on shows like Stargate, Farscape etc. There are cool elements and The Child is still cute, but it's turning into the most expensive bunch of nothing ever.

The hilarious part about this series is Disney wast even ready to sell Baby Yoda merch yet. What a missed opportunity.

I liked it better than the previous episodes, but if they're trying to do the old-time-serial thing, I wish the runtimes were shorter.

They dick aroubd for 30+ minutes each time when really every episode is one story beat and one big (and badly staged) action scene.

Also, The Mandolorian himself should just never talk.
    I get your point, but I wish the episodes were longer. There's very little plot progression, true, but that's something I could live with if they weren't leaning so hard on The Mandolorian's emotional evolution, which they are rushing through. And it's never been worse than it was in this episode. He had a handful interactions with that widow in the span of 15 minutes before another character - who The Mandolorian likewise barely knew and yet still confessed some personal struggles with - was suggesting he should renounce his way of life and settle down with her. He even chokes up at the thought later. I know Mando likes Baby Yoda, and that's one relationship that at least has been given about 3 episodes to become convincing, but twice in this episode someone outright calls Baby Yoda Mando's son and Mando doesn't bother to correct them. It's just not earned and Favreau seems to be hoping either lazy references to time passage ("You've been here a few weeks now...") or character beats imprinted in our brains from a lifetime of western/samurai film tropes (Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, er...The Three Amigos) to do the heavy lifting.

Though this is probably a false premise since having a longer episode that leads to better character building would necessitate writing that is good enough to make use of that extra runtime, which likely wouldn't happen here.

I do agree about the voice work and the dialogue. I love Pedro Pascal, but if they'd listened to his narration on Narcos Season 3 they would have seen that flat line-delivery coming. They just need to let him take off that fucking helmet already.

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I really hate the man, but this was funny.

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Ha. Can't believe that's real.

+1 Ted.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

In Mike Stoklasa Voice: Remember tatooineeeeeeeeeee??

Remember speeder bikes???????

Remember those droids from Phantom Menace????

Remember the bar and booth where Han shot Greedo?

- - - - -
    ffs I forgot this was on! somebody even reminded me & I still forgot.

- - - - -
    oh wow that was bad

God, no. I expected it but still... No.

- - - - -
    FYI per Favreau new episode drops today and not Friday.

I had an epiphany today... The Mandalorian feels like we're watching someone play a video game. The episodic storytelling that does just a little bit to further the overall story, shallow single-serving characters, open world littered with little details that try to add up to a living universe... That's what's wrong with it - make The Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption but with a Mandalorian in the SW universe and you have a smash hit game. The show feels like a twitch stream of that game.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast