Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Live Action TV Series (Favreau)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I noticed some shit disappearing (eg: episodes of "Star Wars Rebels") and after checking Reddit it seems like they're having major server issues.
    Ah ok. Just wanted to watch the intro while at work.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    No wonder they didn't send out a screener, because that cliffhanger! Anyway, it feels like the pressure of being the showcase Disney+ series has them makes it as fast and eye-catching as possible to hook audience in, without much depth to the world or characters yet. But it looks great, has fun action (I'm such an easy target lol but that robot is delightful), and its casual (and expensive) word-building is lively and promising enough.
    Yeah, yours is a more generous take and I think it's better than mine all around.

You're right about the cliffhanger but I wish they'd gotten there sooner. (I was seriously bored by the multiple scenes of jargon-packed exposition.)

I hope it develops into something substantial.

Also, I thought this was fun: https://twitter.com/thebrianposehn/s...81716480389120

Funny that there is absolutely no mention of it on any disney account. Communication is key.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Also, for Duke, a list of all 4K HDR content: https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/111219-0100

All the Star Wars movies except "Solo" and "Last Jedi" are on there in full 4K HDR.

Cmon yall...its launch day. If you didnt expect there to be issues, you're naive. That's normal for any platform or hardware launch. Relax.

- - - - -
    TBH, I'd expect it from a second tier service but not from a worldwide, premium brand.

Like, Amazon, Apple, and Netflix are extremely good at making sure their shit plays everywhere without issue.

(But then, to also be fairer, I haven't had any problems with the app itself, as reported in that Variety article. I got booted off when I tried to connect this morning but other then that it's been perfect.)
    Last edited by Irish; 11-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Yeah but Disney is the brand that will limit their physical media releases so they can charge more for them. They are monsters. They THRIVE on the idea that "we HAVE what you WANT, and you WILL pay for it, and we KNOW you will."

- - - - -
    Well, to be fairest (haha) they're also not a tech company.

True that too.

Also, this is such a massive launch, theres no way to predict tech issues. The only way this launches without a hitch is if it's a bomb.

Also, for Duke, a list of all 4K HDR content: https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/111219-0100

All the Star Wars movies except "Solo" and "Last Jedi" are on there in full 4K HDR.
    I'm not a 4K guy. Unless I want to watch them all on my PC, which I would never do, all my TVs are just standard 1080p.

TBH, I'd expect it from a second tier service but not from a worldwide, premium brand.

Like, Amazon, Apple, and Netflix are extremely good at making sure their shit plays everywhere without issue.

(But then, to also be fairer, I haven't had any problems with the app itself, as reported in that Variety article. I got booted off when I tried to connect this morning but other then that it's been perfect.)
    Totally agree here. I also think it's a huge miss not to have the app available until launch day. WTF is the reasoning behind that?

I checked all my TVs, Amazon Fire and phone and it wasn't available last night at 7PMish.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Totally agree here. I also think it's a huge miss not to have the app available until launch day. WTF is the reasoning behind that?

I checked all my TVs, Amazon Fire and phone and it wasn't available last night at 7PMish.
    Yeah I was def surprised they didn't release the apps until the service was launched. Totally bizarre choice. If Skitch hadn't said anything, I woulda thought the Roku app was still MIA.

Irish is right. It does feel like being a galactic bounty hunter is super boring. Didn't care for the score at times either. Buy boy oh boy does Lucasfilm like to jackoff to itself watching space ships take off and land. That's like 10% of the 40 minute run-time. I rolled my eyes a few times surrounding the logic in some scenes; like, why land (presumably) a million pound space ship on an ice planet that ice monsters can come through the ice? Wouldn't the ship like, break through the ice and fall to the bottom? Are we on an ice planet with forced drama because we are sick of seeing desert planets? Well fast forward 30 minutes and we're on a desert planet where our hero(?) is forced to ride some slug monster like a horse, because why exactly? Your spaceship can't take you to the location they were heading? The only way to get to your destination was for this side-character to teach to you how to ride a slug?

So yeh, oof the writing...

[
    ]

- - - - -
    God, the ice thing didn't even occur to me.

Some of those scenes would have worked better if we could have seen Pascal's face.

I kept thinking of Clint Eastwood's taciturn Man with No Name and how much mileage Leone got from cutting to a close-up of that character just narrowing his goddamn eyes.

The helmet is a dumb idea anyway but the idea that Mandalorians don't take them off, even when alone with each other, is fucking ridiculous.

Pascal wasn't given any good dialogue, which matters when he's forced to basically be a voice actor for this role. The flat line readings didn't help, and lent the character no personality.

I really, really hope the don't keep this shit up for the full 8 episodes.
    Last edited by Irish; 11-12-2019 at 11:11 PM.

- - - - -
    [
    ]
    I thought about it later and this scene would have been more enjoyable if that character was instead [
    ]

I'm glad I'm not getting this for another month. If I have to wait a week between episodes I would freak out.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'm glad I'm not getting this for another month. If I have to wait a week between episodes I would freak out.
    I thought of you when I clicked on the "originals" tab in the app. Outside "Mandalorian," they really didn't launch with much. A huge chunk of the Marvel movies aren't on the service yet, and of course none of the promised MCU tv shows.

The back catalog is huge, but unless you've been jonesing to watch "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" or "Cinderella," there's no reason to jump on the service. You could even wait a bit longer for the kinks to get ironed out and more shows to be added.

You could even wait a bit longer for the kinks to get ironed out....
    I was just about to say, this is the other reason I'm fine waiting a bit.

Why the hell aren't the bulk of the Marvel movies on there? Thats odd.

I'm nitpicking the shit out of them.

- - - - -
    I'm nitpicking the shit out of them.
    Reported. You love Disney so much this is like witnessing domestic violence in real time.

HOW COULD YOU DUKE HOW COULD YOU

I watched that whole series when it was on netflix, it is sooo damn good.

I actually rather enjoyed the first episode, how they've gone all-in on the space western theme. I totally geeked out when I caught a glimpse of [
    ] and later on [
    ]

And to the point Irish made about why didn't The Mandalorian land closer to the badguy hideout:

1) He didn't have a precise location as to its whereabouts
    2) landing closer could have given them warning to him coming.

At least he didn't land on the exact opposite side of the planet and had to take a submarine through the planet's core...
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

If you liked IG-88, what about 8t88?

Seriously if there are any Star Wars fans who haven't played Dark Forces 2, you are missing the fuck out. The CGI/Cut Scenes are incredible for a 90s game. AND the game lets you choose if you want to go light side or dark side and the cut scenes and game decisions reflect this.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    And to the point Irish made about why didn't The Mandalorian land closer to the badguy hideout:
    That wasn't my post/point. It was Duke's.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast