Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Podcasts Do You Subscribe To?

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I only listen to two and I love both. Giant Bombcast & WTF with Marc Maron.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I like the WTF podcast, Spill.com's many podcasts and the We're Alive podcasts. I need some new ones to listen to. Will check out a few of the recs.
    Out of ****:
    Chef- ** 1/2
    The Interview- ** 1/2
    White Bird in a Blizzard- ** 1/2
    Frank- *** 1/2
    A Walk Among the Tombstones- ***

No Joe Rogan podcast fans here? That's the one I listen to the most.

Mark Maron if he has a guest I like. Otherwise I can't stand the guy.
    Star Talk Radio (Neil Degrasse Tyson's podcast).
    Adam Carolla, also only if he has a guest I like.
    Nerdist podcast occasionally.

I tried looking for other good ones, but the Joe Rogan podcast is consistently entertaining, so I mostly just stick to that.

By the way, I think Rogan's stand up is mediocre at best, but his podcasts are awesome. The last one had one of his friends explaining in detail how he sold coke to Whitney Huston for three months straight.

I've only been listening to WTF for about six months and I've already listened to over 100 of them. At first I only listened to the one's from people I liked but then I started going from oldest to most recent (of the one's available on itunes) and I've found that I enjoy the one's by people I've never heard of (or don't really care for) just as much. So far out of 100+ episodes I've only disliked one. I've now only got about 20 or so till I'm caught up to the most recent and then I'm gonna listen to the premium episodes.
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    good recs guys I'm gonna check some out. Also the working out comment I will often have a tv show on my phone to watch while working out and podcasts work just as well. News programs are very good to work out to. Like Davis was saying it's mostly when I'm doing my cardio, but the trouble is if I focus like you suggest E then I'll actually do worse because I'll constantly be thinking about what I'm doing and when I'm actively thinking about working out while working out I tend to do less cause I think "Oh this is hurting, I shouldn't work out, I should be at home."

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Doug Loves Movies
    The AV Club's Reasonable Discussions

Starting to get into Comedy Bang Bang but the episodes are a bit long. I don't spend a whole lot of time in the car which is really the only place I can find time to focus on a podcast.
    i'd recommend superego. episodes of it are only 30 minutes long and it's just concentrated excellence

[youtube]vTEJLCgamos[/youtube]

This week's comedy bang bang may have been my favorite. Andy Daly is fantastic.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    This week's comedy bang bang may have been my favorite. Andy Daly is fantastic.
    The ending is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

Never Not Funny, Comedy Bang Bang, and Freedomain Radio are my most listened to. I also enjoy Stuff You Missed In History Class/Stuff You Should Know, Todd Glass Show, Cato Institute's Event Podcast, Hardcore History, Talk of the Nation, Car Talk, Michael Feldman's Whad'Ya Know?, Thinking Atheist, Filmspotting, Battleship Pretension, and maybe a few others I can't think of. I spend a lot of my work day driving so I get a chance to listen to quite a few. If anybody has any recs for good music podcasts I would love to hear them.

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    By the Way, in Conversation with Jeff Garlin.

Garlin can get a bit annoying/obtrusive, but great guests so far.
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

So weird, I was just going to bump this.

By the Way is my new favorite podcast. I love Garlin. Even the JJ Abrams episode managed to hold my attention despite me having little to no interest in him. The most recent episode with Will Ferrell was the most candid and down to earth I've heard Ferrell. He's always seemed to have some schtick going on in other interviews I've seen with him.

I also really love The Pod F. Tompkast and Watkins Family Hour, but neither come out as often or regularly as I would like.

Comedy Bang Bang and WTF are difficult for me to keep up with and frequently have guests I don't care too much about.

Superego looks like a good lead, I'm going to have to check that out.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    Comedy Bang Bang and WTF are difficult for me to keep up with and frequently have guests I don't care too much about.
    Weird reason to skip Comedy Bang Bang episodes. It's not like you're going to learn anything about the guests anyway.

The Giant Bombcast and WTF are the two I listen to religiously. I enjoy the WTF's where I don't know the person or dislike them usually more then the interviews of people I love.
    TV Recently Finished:

I've recently added to the mix:

NYC's Radiolab - probably the best produced radio show I've ever heard.
    SonicTalk - podcast about music technology from the blokes over at Sonic State. It's a live internet video show that they make a podcast out of. I wish it was better produced, but a lot of the guys live all over the world so you have to deal with Skype in stuff.
    Idle Thumbs - the most intelligent and humorous video game talk, back on the net.

Director
    Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    A ton, but I don't have my iPod on me so I'm just going by shitty memory.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
    IndieInterviews.com
    Baseball Prospectus
    Once More, with Feeling (Jenny Owen Youngs and Bess Rogers talking about random crap for an hour)
    Film Forum Podcasts
    WNYC Soundcheck
    Sundance Film Festival Video Podcast
    Suicide Girls Video Podcast (you know, for kids)
    This is interesting. 5 years later my subscribed podcasts are

ESPN First Draft
    ESPN Inside Slant
    NFL Draft Tracker
    B.S. Report w/Bill Simmons
    PaulDotCom Security Weekly
    Exotic Liability (InfoSec)
    TwoPlusTwo Pokercast - I only really listen to this around WSOP time otherwise they're super tedious.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Weird reason to skip Comedy Bang Bang episodes. It's not like you're going to learn anything about the guests anyway.
    It's more that their senses of humor don't appeal to me.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    By the Way is my new favorite podcast. I love Garlin. Even the JJ Abrams episode managed to hold my attention despite me having little to no interest in him. The most recent episode with Will Ferrell was the most candid and down to earth I've heard Ferrell. He's always seemed to have some schtick going on in other interviews I've seen with him.
    Listened to the Will Ferrell episode today. Really enjoyed the show, but Garlin's laugh went from slightly endearing to downright annoying pretty quickly. I can see that being a problem for me going forward. It sounds so bombastic, even though I'm pretty sure it's genuine.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Listened to the Will Ferrell episode today. Really enjoyed the show, but Garlin's laugh went from slightly endearing to downright annoying pretty quickly. I can see that being a problem for me going forward. It sounds so bombastic, even though I'm pretty sure it's genuine.
    I linked that episode to a friend of mine who is a huge Ferrell fan, and he had the same complaint. He seems to be a divisive figure, but his laugh just makes me laugh even harder.

Fatman on Batman: Kevin Smith can be annoying sometimes, but I could listen to Paul Dini and Bruce Timm talk about Batman for hours and hours...

I really like Nerd Poker. You have to start from the beginning, and it's basically just a bunch of people playing D&D, but I love it.

Also, I don't remember if I mentioned this but I went to Comedy Bang Bang when it was live at Sundance. It was really funny live and definitely something I would recommend if you ever have a chance to see it live.

Also it doesn't update often but The Dead Authors Podcast is really good. The one with Nietzsche and Lovecraft is the best and then the one with The Four Gospels is my second favorite.

I need to get into The Dead Authors Podcast, if for no other reason than my newfound love of all things Paul F. Tompkins.

- - - - -
    A lot of daily news during the week:

BBC Newshour
    BBC Global News
    BBC Africa Today
    BBC World Business Report
    APM Marketplace
    PBS Newshour
    NPR Hourly News Summary
    NPR World Story of the Day
    The Economist "All Audio"
    BBC Witness
    Mule Radio's Evening Edition

Weekend listens:

This American Life
    Scriptnotes (John August)
    KCRW's The Treatment (Elvis Mitchell)
    Writing Excuses (Brandon Sanderson et al)
    On the Media (WNYC)
    Press Publish (Nieman Journalism Lab)

I've got a script set up, so every morning I can just trigger it from Apple's menu bar & iTunes will open & all the podcasts will update themselves.

I need to get into The Dead Authors Podcast, if for no other reason than my newfound love of all things Paul F. Tompkins.
    It's about as Paul F. Tompkins-y as it gets. It's somewhat hit-or-miss, though even the lesser episodes (like the Emily Dickinson one) have their moments.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast