Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What Podcasts Do You Subscribe To?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Adventure Zone is so good!
    I'm excited! I've heard the series gets better and better and even affecting as it goes, and the McElroys have honestly become an addiction for me since last year. I love how you can just feel their joy in sharing each other's company. It's such a nice alternative to insult comedy and cynicism.

Totally agree. Their dad is my favorite part of AZ.

That sounds awesome!

Adventure Zone is so good!
    Don't know if you saw already, but some younger people did a fan film of The Adventure Zone, and... it's really good.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I just looked through the whole thread and I somehow never commented in it, despite over the years having been deeply into Comedy Bang Bang, How Did This Get Made?, Doug Loves Movies, Marc Maron, Kermode & Mayo's Film Review, U Talkin' U2 To Me? and a bunch of other Earwolf and adjacent comedy podcasts Acapelli listed in in this post from 2011 and then some.

And I still semi-frequent those, but the one constant and my #1 go-to, must listen from when it started to this day has always been and still is Who Charted with Howard Kremer and Kulap Vilaysack. At this point its mythology might be too dense and sprawling to jump into blindly, but their now conscious of that to re-explain and reiterate the insane amount of personal anecdotes, wild stories, and running jokes that have become embedded in the show over the years, all of which has made for a podcast that brings more consistent joy into my life than any possibly any series of any medium of the last several years.

Howard's long career in the comedy work and Kulap being married to Scott Aukerman means a lot of Bang Bang crossover of guests and references, who are mostly just their friends. Recent guests and frequent guests (who are truly guests in the sense that they're just thrust and absorbed into the manic energy and goofy philosophies of the show) include Paul F. Tompkins, Natasha Leggero (who Howard often sees bad movies with and reports back), Moshe Kasher, Lauren Lapkus, Eugene Cordero, Mike Mitchell & Nick Wiger, Lance Bangs, Jon Gabrus, Sean Clements, Seth Morris, Matt Besser, Nick Thune, Jackie Kashian, Mike Hanford, The Sklars, Milana Vayntrub, an amazingly candid Dino Stamatopoulos, Brandon Wardell, and just about every other Earwolf host and regular there is. Plus it was once one of the most frequent and purest sources of Harris Wittels just being himself and telling stories and commenting on pop culture, and we'll always have those now if not him himself.

So I dunno, I just can't recommend it enough, and I feel like it's often slept on in the conversation of the biggest and best comedy podcasts.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Don't know if you saw already, but some younger people did a fan film of The Adventure Zone, and... it's really good.

Ha! That's pretty good.

I've pimped it elsewhere on MC but apparently not in the podcasts thread. I've got a podcast that's just started:

I Was a Teenage Movie Critic "I Was a Teenage Movie Critic" is a podcast starring Joanne Spataro and Griffin Van Malssen. The pair wrote for The Charlotte Observer’s KidFlix/Teen Screens column between October 1997 and May 2002 when they were in middle and high school. The columns were reviews of kid and teen-focused recent movie releases and rose from a desire to see teenagers review the movies meant for teenagers rather than the stuffy adult critics who JUST DIDN’T GET IT, GOSH!

Now Joanne and Griffin are all grown up (sort-of) and are diving back into those old reviews and movies to see how opinions have changed and reminisce about their misspent movie-going adolescence.

Give it a chance if you get the time. We've done two episodes so far on RocketMan and Stepmom. The goal is to get into an every-other-week swing. Later this week we'll review FairyTale: A True Story. Eventually we'll get to some movies people care about, haha.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Enjoyed the first ep Lazlo, haven't gotten to second one yet. I subscribe to so many that I savor the ones the are more infrequent. Will get to it!

Has anyone (me included) mentioned Homecoming yet? Its a fictional narrative voiced by legit stars (Oscar Issac, Catherine Keneer, David Schwimmer) and its pretty damn good. Schwimmer has done an OUTSTANDING job creating a character so weasly and deplorable and awful that you dream about him getting whats surely coming to him. Good writing, good acting, I want more podcasts like this. Its like an audiobook in chapters released weekly.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    I've pimped it elsewhere on MC but apparently not in the podcasts thread. I've got a podcast that's just started:

I Was a Teenage Movie Critic "I Was a Teenage Movie Critic" is a podcast starring Joanne Spataro and Griffin Van Malssen. The pair wrote for The Charlotte Observer’s KidFlix/Teen Screens column between October 1997 and May 2002 when they were in middle and high school. The columns were reviews of kid and teen-focused recent movie releases and rose from a desire to see teenagers review the movies meant for teenagers rather than the stuffy adult critics who JUST DIDN’T GET IT, GOSH!

Now Joanne and Griffin are all grown up (sort-of) and are diving back into those old reviews and movies to see how opinions have changed and reminisce about their misspent movie-going adolescence.

Give it a chance if you get the time. We've done two episodes so far on RocketMan and Stepmom. The goal is to get into an every-other-week swing. Later this week we'll review FairyTale: A True Story. Eventually we'll get to some movies people care about, haha.
    Subscribed on Google Play

BTW, google play is the perfect platform for podcasts.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    And I still semi-frequent those, but the one constant and my #1 go-to, must listen from when it started to this day has always been and still is Who Charted with Howard Kremer and Kulap Vilaysack. At this point its mythology might be too dense and sprawling to jump into blindly, but their now conscious of that to re-explain and reiterate the insane amount of personal anecdotes, wild stories, and running jokes that have become embedded in the show over the years, all of which has made for a podcast that brings more consistent joy into my life than any possibly any series of any medium of the last several years.
    Oh man, I used to love Who Charted. It and CBB were what got me into podcasts at all. I wish I still loved Whooch, but I just can't get into it anymore. I think it was with the end of Two Charted that I never quite connected to the show the same way. Probably the biggest personality friction for me was that eventually the badness of Howard's opinions was sticking to me more often than the weirdness of his opinions. His opinions are... so bad.

Sorry to say such mean things about a podcast you love! I should listen again and see if I connect to it any better. Maybe I just needed some cooldown time. It's been a few months since I tried an episode. I should see if there's been any guests I particularly like lately.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Oh man, I used to love Who Charted. It and CBB were what got me into podcasts at all. I wish I still loved Whooch, but I just can't get into it anymore. I think it was with the end of Two Charted that I never quite connected to the show the same way. Probably the biggest personality friction for me was that eventually the badness of Howard's opinions was sticking to me more often than the weirdness of his opinions. His opinions are... so bad.

Sorry to say such mean things about a podcast you love! I should listen again and see if I connect to it any better. Maybe I just needed some cooldown time. It's been a few months since I tried an episode. I should see if there's been any guests I particularly like lately.
    Ahaha, nah I hear you, but to me that's one of the greatest charms of him and of the show at large to the show to me, just a vivid window into the mind of someone so singularly passionate and specifically insane with a lot of his very particular (and mostly innocent) worldviews.

To me, for all his affections of millennial culture, he is a just beautiful curmudgeon, but more importantly, simply one of the funniest people around and an absolute treasure. Plus it's currently Summah, where he is in his element, and the episodes are always better for it.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 08-10-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Haven't listened to Who Charted in ages either, though CBB is still a must listen - literally been listening since before it was a podcast. This last week's was great.

Do you listen to Doughboys, Henry Gale?

Anyone sports fans listen to the recent BS podcast?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Anyone sports fans listen to the recent BS podcast?
    Purposefully skipped that one.

And thanks y'all for downloading!

Posted the iTunes link because that seems to be the dominant way people get podcasts. Apple user bias for sure.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Its pretty easy to get your feed on podbean and stitcher. I try to put everywhere they let me, especially if its easy. ITunes is the biggest...and most difficult.

iTunes is the worst.

Google Play is the best.

I'm 4 episodes into The Adventure Zone, and its so good it almost makes me angry I didn't hear about it sooner. Has anyone listened to their other show My Brother, My Brother, And Me? Any good?

Yes. It's good. It gets better the more you listen to it, as you learn more about the brothers and their lives.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'm 4 episodes into The Adventure Zone, and its so good it almost makes me angry I didn't hear about it sooner. Has anyone listened to their other show My Brother, My Brother, And Me? Any good?
    YES.

I'm on episode 131 of well over 300 episodes. It was consistently funny for a long time, but somewhere around 100 they kicked the volume up. Their riffs on Garfield, ghosts, EDM, and the dark days of McDonaldland have been amazing.

Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 11-03-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Added.

I hate when I stumble upon a new podcast that has 300+ episodes. It's like where do I start?

My current favorite podcast is Blank Check w/ Griffin & David. One of the funniest movie podcasts I've ever listened to.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

One of the first podcasts I ever got into was Mondo Movie. Two guys, Ben and Dan, from the UK who reviewed all sorts of genre films and underground cinema. Their stuff was great. But sadly MM ended. Their forum was also one of the first film forums I ever participated in.

However, just about a year ago they started up a new podcast - Streampunk. They're basically doing the same thing, again, but this time they're focusing on films that are readily available on all the various streaming services.

Ben and Dan are super cool guys - smart, funny, and well spoken. They often have some insightful and entertaining things to say about the movies they review.

Highly recommended.

Scene, The Adventure Zone...Taaco stumbles upon a dead skeleton with a robe...

Taaco: "Can I check if the robe is magical?"
    Griffin: "Sure, roll for arcane."
    Taaco: *rolls* "I rolled a one. I try to eat the robe."

Guys I almost wrecked my fucking truck today after that. Coughing fit, tears streaming down my face, I was a total disaster.

Magically delicious?

Does anybody here listen to The Hilarious World of Depression podcast? It's incredible, beautiful, and at times heartbreaking.

I just listened to a deeply affecting interview with Gary Gullman, who was in a particularly difficult part of his illness back in 2016, right when his State Abbreviation routine was lighting the internet on fire. Incredibly moving.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast