Thread: Crash: The Series

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar

Crash: The Series

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41376
    "Crash," a new original drama series based on the Academy Award®-winning Best Picture will debut exclusively on Starz in 2008. The 13-episode, one-hour series, co-produced with Lionsgate, will be Starz's first ever original drama. The announcement was made today by Stephan Shelanski, executive vice president, programming of Starz Entertainment.

Key members of the Oscar-winning theatrical production team are onboard for the series, including the film's director, co-writer and producer Paul Haggis, co-writer and producer Bobby Moresco, producer Bob Yari, producer Don Cheadle, producer Mark R. Harris and executive producer Tom Nunan.

Crash, which was distributed by Lionsgate, marks only the second time a Best Picture Oscar®-winner has been turned into a series. In the Heat of the Night was the first. Production on the drama is scheduled to begin in the spring.

"'Crash' introduced a whole range of fascinating characters and engrossing, intertwined stories that are ideally suited for developing into a TV series," commented Shelanski. "Starz is the premium channel for movies so it's appropriate that this Best Picture-winner is providing the basis for our first dramatic series. The fact that key members of the film's production team are involved will ensure that our series maintains the high level of talent and creativity captured in the film."

"An important part of our strategy is to create franchises across our company's divisions," said Kevin Beggs, Lionsgate's President of Programming and Production, "and early in our involvement with this extraordinary film, we recognized its enormous potential to be successfully adapted for television. In Starz, we have found partners who share our vision and we anticipate a great collaboration."

"I'm very happy that Lionsgate and Starz have decided to develop 'Crash' into a series," said Haggis. "Ironically, my initial impulse was to present the material in a format for television. I am thrilled it's coming full circle and can't wait to see how it expands and transforms."

"For me, exploring the characters and conflicts in 'Crash' was a great experience," said Moresco. "The idea of doing it again in a weekly series is tremendously exciting."

"This series will present an opportunity to delve into many subjects, not just race relations in LA," said Cheadle. "I don't think you can do 13 episodes on that subject and keep people interested. The challenge will be to craft the series characters in such a way as to get beneath the skin that supposedly differentiates them and create entertaining story lines that show the hurdles and obstacles we all struggle to overcome day to day."

Challenging and daring, Crash took a provocative, unflinching look at the complexities of racial tolerance in contemporary America. The film featured an all-star cast including Don Cheadle, Sandra Bullock, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Esposito, Brendan Fraser, Terrence Howard, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, Thandie Newton and Ryan Philippe. It was directed by Haggis and co-written by Haggis and Moresco.

In addition to Best Picture, it also scored Oscars® for Haggis and Moresco's original screenplay, as well as Hughes Winborne's editing. Crash also earned a Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Ensemble Cast in a Motion Picture, a Producers Guild nomination for Best Picture, a Directors Guild feature film nomination for Haggis, a Writers Guild nomination for Best Original Screenplay (Haggis and Moresco), nine BAFTA nominations (including Best Film and Best Director) and six NAACP Image Award nominations (including Best Film).

Starz Media's Anchor Bay Entertainment will hold exclusive U.S. distribution rights, including home entertainment, to the "Crash" series, while Lionsgate will retain international distribution.

The announcement of Crash comes on the heels of the launch of Starz' first two original half-hour comedy series, "Head Case" and "Hollywood Residential," which premiered last week. "Head Case," stars Alexandra Wentworth and the new comedy series "Hollywood Residential," stars Adam Paul and is executive produced by Cheryl Hines. Starz also features "Starz Inside," a new monthly series of original specials examining people, trends and culture in movie entertainment hosted by film critic Richard Roeper.
    Conan O'Brien should start looking for a new lever.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Nice try Starz, but you're still second rate.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I like this idea. I'll like it even more if they adopt the "Touched by an Angel" strategy where one character is 'saved' every episode. Only instead of being touched by a celestial being, they fall down a flight of stairs.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Only instead of being touched by a celestial being, they can fall down a flight of stairs.
    :lol:

That is the internationally accepted cure for racism, so it'd make perfect sense.

I would only watch it if each episode includes a five minute opener where Ludacris rants about white people, then proceeds to rob them.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I wonder if they'll be able to get Tony Danza back for this.

So how many of you are going to watch this just to make fun of it? And should I really bother seeing the movie? The fuss over it is making me curious.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Everything you loved about crash, only now five times as long! Hurrah!
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    So how many of you are going to watch this just to make fun of it? And should I really bother seeing the movie? The fuss over it is making me curious.
    Watch the movie.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Watch the movie.
    Will do. Should be an interesting experience knowing how much many on this site hate this film.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?