Thread: Hannibal (Season One)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gillian Anderson has a recurring role in the show if that interests anyone. Also, Kids in the Hall's Scott Thompson is in it.

Gretchen Speck-Horowitz, same actress and character from episode 2 of Wonderfalls, just picked up the wrong insulin at the pharmacy. She even quotes her line from that episode, "I lost the hyphen, kept the ring." Which means that Wonderfalls and Hannibal take place in the same universe, which means that it's entirely possible Graham will start having conversations with wax lions.

Also, I'm going to be sad if Gretchen Speck-Horowitz is killed and made into mushrooms when Jaye went to all the trouble of fixing her life by breaking up her marriage.
    ...and the milk's in me.

She survived! Poor Gretchen has had it rough since peaking in high school.

By the way, I'm annoyed at this show for having lots of scenes in Baltimore without ever filming in Baltimore. It's filming in Toronto, CITY OF LIES.
    ...and the milk's in me.

The mushroom villain was so silly. Worked for some great grotesque images though.

I love the art design on this show. Hannibal's office is the best.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    By the way, I'm annoyed at this show for having lots of scenes in Baltimore without ever filming in Baltimore. It's filming in Toronto, CITY OF LIES.
    The establishing shots are of Baltimore, though. Mostly of the Inner Harbor, where people don't live. And since Dr. Lecter has a free-standing house with wide inner rooms, I'm going to pretend he lives in one of those outlying neighborhoods on the top part of the city, like Roland Park.
    ...and the milk's in me.

This show takes place in, like, an alternative reality where hundreds of people go missing every day, and most of them are found in the most absurd possible ways. And everyone's pretty jaded about it.

"Hey, where's Aunt Cathy?"

"You know, I haven't seen her in a few weeks. She's probably been flayed, dipped in resin and posed into dining room furniture somewhere. I guess we'll see."

It's a good show, but the gore is sort of silly and over-the-top.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Well, the show isn't going for realism. The self-conscious Grand Guignol quality is one of the aspects that makes the show compelling to me and separates it from other procedurals.

My favorite parts so far are the inter-character relationships, especially with a focus on friendship. It's rare for a television show to acknowledge that the desire for friendship and the expressions of friendship can be just as intense, twisted, and weird as the romantic and sexual relationships.
    ...and the milk's in me.