Thread: my fav albums and u can help me find more stuff if u want because im lazy

my fav albums and u can help me find more stuff if u want because im lazy

sorry you've heard all of these i'm an amateur if you recommend me something (something i *wouldn't* think to listen to otherwise aka not obvious) i will try to listen to it at least twice and review it or talk to you about it or whatever

11. a new chance · the tough alliance

10. visions · grimes

9. cotton kingdom · america addio

8. shut up i am dreaming · sunset rubdown

7. a i a · grouper

6. the glowing city · {{{sunset}}}

5. another green world · brian eno

4. on fire · galaxie 500

3. saturdays = youth · m83

2. souvlaki · slowdive

1. this is not a dream · dadamah

Am I missing something on that Sunset Rubdown album? Their second album feels so much more cohesive, fleshed-out, and overall developed musically over the debut... I'd be curious if you (or others) can point me to a track or a moment from a track and why it works.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Am I missing something on that Sunset Rubdown album? Their second album feels so much more cohesive, fleshed-out, and overall developed musically over the debut... I'd be curious if you (or others) can point me to a track or a moment from a track and why it works.
    I prefer the debut, as well. I can appreciate the ambition of RSL but the melodies just aren't there as consistently for me. "Us Ones In Between," the opener, the closer, all pretty direct but effective.
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

What I usually do to find recommendations is to search for an album I love on Amazon, and then look at the "Customers who bought this also bought...." section. Go a few pages deep, select one of those albums, and repeat the process. The deeper you go the more varied the selections will get. Go 5 pages deep, pick an album, go 5 pages deep, pick another album, and repeat the process. I've discovered a ton of great stuff like this.

Quote Quoting elixir (view post)
    Woah, this is insanely good. I'm just sitting here listening this record for the first time and it's completely throttling my mind.

The Red Shoes (Powell, 1948)
    Manhattan Murder Mystery (Allen, 1993)
    Spring Breakers (Korine, 2012)
    Sydney (Anderson, 1996)
    El ángel exterminador (Luis Buñuel, 1963)

Loving the On Fire love.

My 10 favorites at the moment, in no particular order, except for the top 3:

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (This has been a favorite for 10 years or more)
    Triple 6 Mafia - Mystic Stylez (My favorite rap album at the moment)
    Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
    Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
    Gang Starr - Hard to Earn
    Ol' Dirty Bastard - Return to the 36 Chambers (One of the funniest performances ever)
    Cocteau Twins - Treasure
    Scott Walker - The Drift
    Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II (tie) Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica
    Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me

& Grouper's Alien Observer is my favorite of her releases.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Hell yeah, for this record and the unexpectedness of its placing. Roy Montgomery is a personal hero of mine. If you didn't know, Liz Harris (Grouper) just released on her label a 7" of two unreleased Dadamah songs that absolutely rules. Also, a Roy Montgomery LP that's also cool.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

7. a i a · grouper

You might like Maps and Diagrams

Sorry. I was away from my computer.

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Quote Quoting ThePlashyBubbler (view post)
    I prefer the debut, as well. I can appreciate the ambition of RSL but the melodies just aren't there as consistently for me. "Us Ones In Between," the opener, the closer, all pretty direct but effective.
    You guys are confusing me with references to "second" and "debut," but I used to easily prefer RSL to Shut Up but now I regard them at about the same level. IDK, with Shut Up, I think Stadiums and Shrines II is a bomber of an opener, it never fails to send chills down my spine, I love the rises and falls of The Empty Threats and the title (sorta) track is just so wonderful. It really all came together with my latest listen, for whatever reason. That happens sometimes; it's nice when it does.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    What I usually do to find recommendations is to search for an album I love on Amazon, and then look at the "Customers who bought this also bought...." section. Go a few pages deep, select one of those albums, and repeat the process. The deeper you go the more varied the selections will get. Go 5 pages deep, pick an album, go 5 pages deep, pick another album, and repeat the process. I've discovered a ton of great stuff like this.
    This is a good idea I hadn't thought of. Thanks. I'll probably do the same for books too.

Quote Quoting endingcredits (view post)
    Woah, this is insanely good. I'm just sitting here listening this record for the first time and it's completely throttling my mind.
    Yay, glad you like it!

Quote Quoting ciaoelor (view post)
    My 10 favorites at the moment, in no particular order, except for the top 3
    I've heard some of these, but I'll see if the others interest me.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Hell yeah, for this record and the unexpectedness of its placing. Roy Montgomery is a personal hero of mine. If you didn't know, Liz Harris (Grouper) just released on her label a 7" of two unreleased Dadamah songs that absolutely rules. Also, a Roy Montgomery LP that's also cool.
    I did not, so I will definitely check those out! Thanks, man!

Thanks. I'll let you know what I think.

I take full credit for starting the Dadamah bug here.

They're actually a NZ supergroup of sorts; check out their members' related projects if you haven't:

The Terminals (one of my all time favorite bands)

The Renderers

also Roy Montgomery's solo guitar stuff

im pretty sure i listened to it because of some list on another site, but i dont doubt u! i will def check those other ones out (im not all that well versed in music so i haven't heard a lot of things)

If you haven't heard The Pin Group, you gotta go ahead and do that before you do anything else.

There are about a bazillion bands from New Zealand and they are pretty much all fucking awesome. This, for example, is one of the best things ever:

Boner, if you like The Terminals, have you heard the pre-Terminals band with Stephen Cogle, Victor Dimisich Band? One of the greatest groups to ever exist, with Peter Stapleton of Dadamah/Scorched Earth Policy on drums and Mary Heney of Roy Montgomery's second band The Shallows, among others:

‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Strangely I'd heard of them but not heard them. That song you posted would later be a Terminals song - it sounds nearly identical! Great stuff anyway. Cheers for the link.

Yeah, that was the only one on youtube. Several of their songs later became Terminals and Scorched Earth Policy (who are also amazing) songs. I highly recommend you seek out the collection My Name is K. I could upload it somewhere if you want.

This was Brian Crook's band pre-Terminals, pre-Renderers.

Siltbreeze is going to reissue their EPs sometime this year. It's a good time to be a fan of New Zealand music, what with Flying Nun itself set to reissue a whole bunch of stuff this year. Anyway, sorry for the threadjack.