Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Arrested Development (Season 4)

Quote Quoting EvilShoe (view post)
    The season itself is not perfect, but it's insanely bold which makes me appreciate it more than had it just been a normal continuation of the Fox incarnation.
    Looking at Family Guy and Futurama, giving fans more of the same doesn't necessarily make them happy anyway. Might as well try something new.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    If anyone's wondering, I've watched the season twice now. Definitely funnier the second time.
    I don't know. I went to start it a second time. And the absurdly heavy exposition (the explanation of Cinco de Cuatro that goes on and on), drawn out jokes (the Grinch thing, Michael trying to kiss Lucille II), and unnecessary voiceover ("unfortunately it was his son's dorm room") grated enough that I felt the need to give it some space before returning to it.

I really did enjoy the last two-thirds of the season, but I don't think it's without some significant problems.

George Michael and the kissing experiment.

1....1....1.1..1! :lol:

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Episode 7 brought the laughs. That was the first time it felt like Arrested Development. Tony Wonder does not disappoint.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Ok, the Buster episode is my favorite. I should have guessed this. Why does he only get one episode? His solitary time at the apartment without Lucille was hilarious, but George Michael's reaction to his new hand at the end takes the cake.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    Ok, the Buster episode is my favorite. I should have guessed this. Why does he only get one episode? His solitary time at the apartment without Lucille was hilarious, but George Michael's reaction to his new hand at the end takes the cake.
    Agreed, Buster and GOB are my favorites, Buster should have had a second ep over many of the others.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I've finally had my seven year itch scratched.
    Same!
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

Finally bothered to write about it. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Anyone catch themselves randomly singing "Get away Getaway" throughout the week?

The first three episodes are kind of.....bad. Super flabby and not all that funny.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    The first three episodes are kind of.....bad. Super flabby and not all that funny.
    It starts getting better, almost immediately with episodes 4 and 5, then dips a bit til 9 or 10 when it's just awesome. It is a little flabby at the beginning, but when you start seeing how carefully the whole thing is constructed, it's pretty damn impressive. Not as funny as Season 1 or 2, but in some ways, I appreciate it even more.

Yeah, I look at Season 4 as more an impressive overall accomplishment than something that was filled with X number of fantastic episodes. 8 alludes to this a bit in his review. It's hard to fairly grade the early episodes because you eventually realize the greatness those episodes are setting up later on. This is definitely more ambitious than anything they attempted in Seasons 1-3, and I already thought the show was sneakily ambitious in those seasons.

Where it kind of falls short of Season 1-2 is probably in the pathos department. I recently rewatched a few Season 1 episodes, and there was definitely more attention paid to this element of the show early on. Michael's transition from relatable straight man to, well, just another Bluth also hinders this a bit. But ultimately, I liked that they went there this season, because I feel like they've been laying the foundation for that all along and it's interesting place to take the character.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Yeah, definitely. Some of the things in the early episodes that I dismissed as plot points or expositions turn out to be punch lines when you've figured out the context. They definitely devised the season with multiple viewings in mind, which is pretty much delivering what people loved about the first 3 seasons. It's a bit ironic to see a lot of fans online saying that the show lost "it," when it fact they've injected "it" with steroids.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    I'm on episode ten and while it's still a good show it's nowhere near the levels of season 1 & 2. I've been watching the final episodes of Don't Trust the B**** in Apt 23 recently also and those are eliciting more enjoyment from me and more laughter.
    I just finished the season and my opinion didn't change.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    I'm quite surprised at how much of the negative criticism is aimed at Michael's arc in this season. It seemed completely in character to me, and it set up the final shot, which must be one of my fav AD moments.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I may be drunk right now but seriously damn all of you who don't love this season because you are killing the chances of the show continuing.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I may be drunk right now but seriously fuck all of you who don't love this season because you are killing the chances of the show continuing.
    Not really sure how that's the case. I enjoyed the season I just didn't love it. I'd watch another season or movie.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Not really sure how that's the case. I enjoyed the season I just didn't love it. I'd watch another season or movie.
    Bad word of mouth = bad business = less money being made = Netflix stock falling = No more Arrested Development
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Movie Theater Diary

So I should pretend to like it more than I do?

And great review 8. Despite not liking it quite as much as you did, I think everything you wrote is spot on.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    So I should pretend to like it more than I do?
    Yes.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Good.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I may be drunk right now but seriously damn all of you who don't love this season because you are killing the chances of the show continuing.
    I love the current season and I am watching it currently. I just finished the 8th episode-a Lindsey one. It was good, but I loved Gorb's, titled "Colony Collapse." So damn awesome.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Just finished S4 of Community last night. Tonight, I am starting AD - never seen a full episode before.

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I love the current season and I am watching it currently. I just finished the 8th episode-a Lindsey one. It was good, but I loved Gorb's, titled "Colony Collapse." So damn awesome.
    They could have also titled it Colon Collapse and it still would have worked. ^_^
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast