Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrested Development (Season 4)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Okay, I take back a lot of what I just said after seeing episode 4.

Fantastic.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

I am so happy to have this show back and have it still be funny. The first time I ever saw AD was on a flight back from NYC during a very dark period in my life. It was the very first episode of the very first season and I'm pretty sure it aired on that flight even before it was on Fox. I had heard nothing about it, checked it out on a whim and was blown away. I laughed heartily during a time in which for me it was difficult to even smile. As a result all those flight references in the first episode of this new season resonated all the more strongly with me. Now it's time to marathon for the rest of the day and then experience a brutal withdrawal period tomorrow. I've finally had my seven year itch scratched.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Wow. Episode 7 has some CRAZY levels of cringe! I mean, it's hilarious, but it's so cringy.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Had to endure quite a bit of turbulence watching the first two. Hadn't really followed the hype leading up to this in recent months, and tonally it just all felt a bit weird. I think the show starts to pick up a groove by episode 3. I'm glad there are 15 eps of this though, that's for sure.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    episode 7 has been my favorite so far. I couldn't contain my laughter.

Jessica Walter: holy pins. Was she a dancer?
    ...and the milk's in me.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Re-activated Netflix for this.

So glad I did.

I'm trying to do that thing Hurwitz mentioned, where you see something happen in one episode and jump into another to get the context for it. Most of it's been relegated to the opening five minutes of the shows (the re-caps), but after watching the first two episodes in sequence, I stopped Lindsay's episode when Gob shouts "I got a yes!" and skipped over to Gob's episode. Then I jumped back, rewound Lindsay's episode a few seconds, and heard background dialogue from Gob's episode quietly looped in.

I don't know how often I'll be doing that, but I loved that the option was there, and that it was seamless.

[
    ]

Finished ep 10. I'm enjoying it overall, but we're spending way too much time with some characters (Oscar, Michael, and Tobias) and not nearly enough with others (Maeby, George Michael.) Really, really loving the twisty interconnecting writing.
    ...and the milk's in me.

[
    ]
    That is the greatest reveal ever.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Finished ep 10. I'm enjoying it overall, but we're spending way too much time with some characters (Oscar, Michael, and Tobias) and not nearly enough with others (Maeby, George Michael.) Really, really loving the twisty interconnecting writing.
    I want more GOB time.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I'm burned out. But can someone explain to me the thing about Sally Sitwell and the moth and the caterpillar? Did I not get it, or is it a set-up to a joke later on?
    ...and the milk's in me.

I think I'm gonna stop at four for today. I should mete this out a little more.

Episode 2, and I have yet to see a scene with Maebe. I'm not worried that it isn't coming, but still.

I wonder when someone will edit all of this together in a "beginning to end" type of thing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Episode 2, and I have yet to see a scene with Maebe. I'm not worried that it isn't coming, but still.

I wonder when someone will edit all of this together in a "beginning to end" type of thing.
    She was in multiple scenes in episode 2.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I'm burned out. But can someone explain to me the thing about Sally Sitwell and the moth and the caterpillar? Did I not get it, or is it a set-up to a joke later on?
    [
    ]
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    Okay, I take back a lot of what I just said after seeing episode 4.

Fantastic.
    Indeed. Unfortunately, it's kind of flagged again after that for me. I'm not getting the hype surrounding episode 7, despite the terrific "and Jeremy Piven" gag.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Re-activated Netflix for this.

So glad I did.

I'm trying to do that thing Hurwitz mentioned, where you see something happen in one episode and jump into another to get the context for it. Most of it's been relegated to the opening five minutes of the shows (the re-caps), but after watching the first two episodes in sequence, I stopped Lindsay's episode when Gob shouts "I got a yes!" and skipped over to Gob's episode. Then I jumped back, rewound Lindsay's episode a few seconds, and heard background dialogue from Gob's episode quietly looped in.

I don't know how often I'll be doing that, but I loved that the option was there, and that it was seamless.

[
    ]
    Is that actually an option? I haven't seen it pop up. Also, Hurwitz has been trying to get out there that he failed at making episodes that could be watched in any order, and he thinks watching from beginning to end is pretty imperative now.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    Indeed. Unfortunately, it's kind of flagged again after that for me. I'm not getting the hype surrounding episode 7, despite the terrific "and Jeremy Piven" gag.

Is that actually an option? I haven't seen it pop up. Also, Hurwitz has been trying to get out there that he failed at making episodes that could be watched in any order, and he thinks watching from beginning to end is pretty imperative now.
    Yeah, after watching 4 and 5, I realized it'd be best to keep the episode hopping to a minimum. But it wasn't any sort of special thing. I just clicked back.

Also, Netflix has crashed. This is bad news for me, but it is great news for Hurwitz.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    She was in multiple scenes in episode 2.
    She was in the very first episode.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I finished it.

That was not only hilarious, but an absolutely brilliant structure. AND that crazy ending sets up a movie. Awesome awesome awesome. Hype met.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

This would have been a nightmare trying to follow on a weekly basis. They definitely wrote it like this just because they know people could binge it.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Through episode five. Two and three were pretty weak, but the other three had me laughing hysterically multiple times. That Tobias episode was some of their best work. So great to have this show back in my life. Can't wait to see how it finishes.

Wow a lot of people fell for the "Showstealer Pro" gag apparently.
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Wow a lot of people fell for the "Showstealer Pro" gag apparently.
    Sort of got me at first (I just thought it was an error on the part of Netflix). That's one of those gags that was funny the first time, but doing it every episode (thus far) is too much.

OK, episode 9 was nearly as good as (if not better than) episode 4.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Sort of got me at first (I just thought it was an error on the part of Netflix). That's one of those gags that was funny the first time, but doing it every episode (thus far) is too much.
    Eh, I like the consistency of it appearing on all old footage. It's also a pretty good reminder of which shots in the flashback scenes were newly inserted.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast