Thread: Arrested Development (Season 4)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrested Development (Season 4)

Don't get your hopes up for Season 5, because there won't be one.

Quote Quoting Jason Bateman
    "We’re done shooting it and it was great. Also, it will be extremely complicated for the viewers. 14 episodes, all separate, with each character getting their own episode, but all the action happens simultaneously. So you can stop my episode at the very moment that, say, Gob rides by on his Segway and then click into his episode and follow him."

"I don’t know how Mitchell Hurwitz wrote it, shot it or scheduled it, I don’t know how he’s editing it but it’ll be amazing. I think. And it’s only the first third of a three part story; the second two parts will be in the movie. So this is the first act, and the movie is act two and three. They’re all just asking questions that the movie itself will answer."
    If the movie doesn't happen... Christ.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings described the upcoming fourth season of Arrested Development as a "fantastic one-off" made possible under "non-repeatable" circumstances. "We don't anticipate being able to do seasons five, six, seven. We have less of a stake in it," he said. "Arrested Development is a wildly successful tactic as opposed to fundamental to the strategy."
    He's basically saying they commissioned S4 as a publicity move because they knew it's a series that would get a lot of press for Netflix.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Can't wait.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

That sounds awesome.

*glee*
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Friday, baby.
    Movie Theater Diary

May 26 is the official date. This is the best birthday present ever.

Movie Theater Diary

Netflix is bringing Bluth's banana stand to NY and LA. I am gonna be all over that shit.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Netflix is bringing Bluth's banana stand to NY and LA. I am gonna be all over that shit.
    London right now. PLEASE, bring to Denver.

Not counting on it. But would be awesome.

Shoot... We didn't even get a Jim Gaffigan visit, and he went to nearly every state.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The final countdown.

Pacific Time aka The Best Time

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    It exists!

*Doesn't return until they've all been watched*
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I hadn't really planned on watching this when it came out, and yet here I am three episode in.

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Have to wait till someone uploads these as torrents... how's the initial response? Good?
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Yeah, definitely. Some of the things in the early episodes that I dismissed as plot points or expositions turn out to be punch lines when you've figured out the context. They definitely devised the season with multiple viewings in mind, which is pretty much delivering what people loved about the first 3 seasons. It's a bit ironic to see a lot of fans online saying that the show lost "it," when it fact they've injected "it" with steroids.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Another 17 Episodes’ Of ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT On The Way- but unclear if Netflix will carry it.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/17-more-...er-1201406244/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hopefully the main cast actually gets to shoot most of it together this time. The individual character-centric structure of S4 didn't do a lot for me at all.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    You guys know about the Season 4 Redux coming soon, right? They're re-editing all of the Netflix revival episodes from their character-centric structure into chronological, previous standard episode format. Ron Howard has been re-recording a lot of his narration and there's apparently going to be new footage as a result of the changes.

I liked Season 4 just fine, particularly for its experimentation (and especially with how well the fragmented structure lent itself to re-watching episodes with added information about certain setpieces and character beats and unknown connections), but these alternate cuts might smooth things over even more nicely for these potential new episodes.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 04-08-2015 at 10:45 PM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    You guys know about the Season 4 Redux coming soon, right? They're re-editing all of the Netflix revival episodes from their character-centric structure into chronological, previous standard episode format. Ron Howard has been re-recording a lot of his narration and there's apparently going to be new footage as a result of the changes.

I liked Season 4 just fine, particularly for its experimentation (and especially with how well the fragmented structure lent itself to re-watching episodes with added information about certain setpieces and character beats and unknown connections), but these alternate cuts might smooth things over even more nicely for these potential new episodes.
    Sounds great to me.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Sounds like it would not be what I loved about Season 4, but of course I'll watch it.
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Don't get your hopes up for Season 5, because there won't be one.
    Boom. Roasted.

http://pitchfork.com/news/70878-arre...lix-announced/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?