Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Arrested Development (Season 4)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I started rewatching the first episode the other night, and it plays much better once you know what's going on. A lot of subtle changes, especially in terms of dialogue. This season of TV is going to be totemic in the coming years.

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    I reviewed season four for Slant last week and, after watching it a second time, I still have the same reservations/praises but almost want to write more thoughts on the season's construction and callbacks.

(Pretty similar to Arya's thoughts I just read, actually, but I was very fascinated with the darker tone and theme of transformation in this season.)
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

did anyone else feel a little racist when they assumed that the [
    ]

just finished my first go round. loved it

I'm through 12 episodes in my rewatch. It definitely plays better on a second viewing. My major problem is that with all the character's that have two part episodes, the first part just doesn't work for me. They are, for the most part, 30 minutes of confused exposition continually jumping back and forth in time. All the part twos are killer though. Along with the Lucille, Maeby, and Buster episodes.

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    did anyone else feel a little racist when they assumed that the [
    ]

just finished my first go round. loved it
    [
    ]
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Finished watching this, and though I took my time, I still feel like I watched it too fast. Now I guess it's time for the rewatch so I can refresh some events, and catch new jokes. There better be another season or movie or something, because the closure that used to exist (for the most part) is now wide open.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

I finished this last night and am not compelled to watch anymore, should more be produced. I'm exhausted by the constant fluctuating alliances and thoroughly hacky sitcom setups relying on assumption and miscommunication. I'm sad that Michael was decentralized and made into a douchebag, as I realize watching S4 that one of the strongest aspects of the first three is the heart that Michael attempts to manifest amidst a sea of lies, idiocy, and narcissism. Frustrated by the lack of any kind of resolve, and the deluge of recycled material and obvious jokes. The more painful emotional moments are soggy - the characters and circumstances are just too phony.

The structure is brilliant, though. I love the event decompression. Maeby and Lindsay have some terrific moments. The GOB and Buster ("Blind Side monster") episodes are the only ones I'd call particularly brilliant. Ron Howard talking about the moon landing was a highlight.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Another 17 Episodes’ Of ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT On The Way- but unclear if Netflix will carry it.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/17-more-...er-1201406244/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hopefully the main cast actually gets to shoot most of it together this time. The individual character-centric structure of S4 didn't do a lot for me at all.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    You guys know about the Season 4 Redux coming soon, right? They're re-editing all of the Netflix revival episodes from their character-centric structure into chronological, previous standard episode format. Ron Howard has been re-recording a lot of his narration and there's apparently going to be new footage as a result of the changes.

I liked Season 4 just fine, particularly for its experimentation (and especially with how well the fragmented structure lent itself to re-watching episodes with added information about certain setpieces and character beats and unknown connections), but these alternate cuts might smooth things over even more nicely for these potential new episodes.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 04-08-2015 at 10:45 PM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    You guys know about the Season 4 Redux coming soon, right? They're re-editing all of the Netflix revival episodes from their character-centric structure into chronological, previous standard episode format. Ron Howard has been re-recording a lot of his narration and there's apparently going to be new footage as a result of the changes.

I liked Season 4 just fine, particularly for its experimentation (and especially with how well the fragmented structure lent itself to re-watching episodes with added information about certain setpieces and character beats and unknown connections), but these alternate cuts might smooth things over even more nicely for these potential new episodes.
    Sounds great to me.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Sounds like it would not be what I loved about Season 4, but of course I'll watch it.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Don't get your hopes up for Season 5, because there won't be one.
    Boom. Roasted.

http://pitchfork.com/news/70878-arre...lix-announced/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567