View Poll Results: A Good Day to Die Hard

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

1 5.88%
  • Nay

16 94.12%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Good Day to Die Hard (John Moore)

A Good Day to Die Hard (John Moore)

A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD

Director: John Moore

imdb

It has its moments, such as the ridiculous chase scene that essentially becomes a monster truck rally. And Bruce Willis appears to be having a decent enough time. But otherwise, the movie just takes things too seriously. It tries to do too much, and it does so without really having much fun. It lacks the charm, fun, and simplicity that made the originals such classics. That, and a lot of the action scenes were just really disorienting, and oftentimes even boring.

That, and there were far too many slow father-son bonding moments. There's only one that seems to work, but the rest just drag the movie to a snail's pace, and there's about a good three or so of them here, and they each grow increasingly unnecessary and just last forever. So yeah, I dunno, it has its moments here and there, so I didn't hate it, but overall I'd say that this one was pretty disappointing.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    The two reviewers over at dvdtalk tore this film apart.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    The two reviewers over at dvdtalk tore this film apart.
    It's one of those movies where I didn't walk out hating it, but I'm sure the more it digests, the more I'll grow the loathe it.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I usually check out the reviews over at dvdtalk even if it's for stuff I'm not interested in just to see if they're blown away by anything that might have slipped under my radar. One reviewer gave this zero stars. I almost never see a score that low there.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Siiiigh. I was looking forward to seeing this even if the general reaction ended up being fairly middle-of-the-road. I mean, it's Die Hard, right?! Surely that's a perfectly non-mentally-stimulating way to kill a couple of hours at the movies this time of year, even at its worst!

But now... with these reviews... I'm just not sure I can bring myself to it.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    It has its moments, such as the ridiculous chase scene that essentially becomes a monster truck rally. And Bruce Willis appears to be having a decent enough time. But otherwise, the movie just takes things too seriously. It tries to do too much, and it does so without really having much fun. It lacks the charm, fun, and simplicity that made the originals such classics. That, and a lot of the action scenes were just really disorienting, and oftentimes even boring.

That, and there were far too many slow father-son bonding moments. There's only one that seems to work, but the rest just drag the movie to a snail's pace, and there's about a good three or so of them here, and they each grow increasingly unnecessary and just last forever. So yeah, I dunno, it has its moments here and there, so I didn't hate it, but overall I'd say that this one was pretty disappointing.
    More or less what I thought. It has even less resemblance to a Die Hard movie than the fourth movie (which I liked anyway). Interesting to note that this was the first sequel whose script was written to be a Die Hard sequel. Ironically, that may have been the problem, just writing action scenes and attempting (key word) to be faithful to the series without coming up with an actual plot.
    Fruitvale Station (Ryan Coogler) - ***
    The World's End (Edgar Wright) - ***

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Blah. Trailer gave away everything. Spent the whole film waiting for the one amazing shot from the trailer of the two of them falling with the chopper going down behind them.

[
    ] It's like they had an idea for this one shot and tried to build the rest of the film around that. A good trailer makes you want to see something with what you think is all the action only to have the film spring something even better on you.

I was indifferent towards the third film. Kind of silly. Loved the other three. This was bad.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Quote Quoting Sxottlan (view post)
    Blah. Trailer gave away everything. Spent the whole film waiting for the one amazing shot from the trailer of the two of them falling with the chopper going down behind them.

[
    ] It's like they had an idea for this one shot and tried to build the rest of the film around that. A good trailer makes you want to see something with what you think is all the action only to have the film spring something even better on you.

I was indifferent towards the third film. Kind of silly. Loved the other three. This was bad.
    But two stars would still seem to indicate average.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Just want a yes or no answer but was the car chase that was 70 days in the making, live up to the hype?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The reviews I've read tearing it apart also seem to tear apart part 4, and I like that one, so...

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Just want a yes or no answer but was the car chase that was 70 days in the making, live up to the hype?
    No. It was impressive only so far as it was loud and expensive. The narrative logic of the chase was slapdash and it's cobbled together with no real structure. Also, many people are undoubtedly dying and that is distracting.

The car chase was more tedious than thrilling. Not only is it poorly constructed, it comes at a point where we have zero attachment to the characters involved since we really don't even know who they are, other than John McClane.

One thing I did kinda like was [
    ]
    Fruitvale Station (Ryan Coogler) - ***
    The World's End (Edgar Wright) - ***

Thr brief "monster truck rally" monent I alluded to was a bit fun, but otherwise, no. Lasted far too long, and it was hard to tell what was even going on the majority of the time.

I've been enjoying Vishnevetsky's tweets on this one.

A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD: hate to be a logic Nazi, but Chernobyl is like 700 miles away from Moscow and also in a different country.

To be fair, if the movie was realistic, the "He's in Russia" scene would be followed by McClane filing out visa applications for months.

Bet all those drivers McClane crashed into walked away with some sweet dashcam videos, though.

If you're making a movie where 1/3 of the dialogue is in a particular language, it's usually a good idea to hire actors who can speak it.

"Oh, the movie's set in Russia? Let's hire a bunch of Hungarians and Germans!" #RussianGripes

Went in knowing it would be bad, but it somehow was way worse than I expected. There were somehow two Willis age references in the first five minutes, an awful macguffin, a tap-dancing carrot eating villain, and a tattooed and bald Russian henchmen inexplicably wearing no shirt in the final 10 minutes. Not to mention the inclusion of Chernobyl for no apparent reason. So fucking bad, would like to see Hyams direct the next one.
    blog
    twitter
    letterboxd
    almost arthouse (ep #28: remembering PSH and most anticipated 2014 films)

The worst one so far. The father-son moments, the humour, none of these really work. Villain is the suckiest one so far, and yet, it was so brief and action-packed that it flew by in a heartbeat. The action scenes were definitely over-edited, but I found them moderately thrilling. There were a bunch of cool shots in the finale, nothing to unseat McTiernan, or even Wiseman, but a bunch of cool bits nonetheless. I braced for the worst, and got something barely acceptable.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I will say that I did really like the one shot of McClane, in slow motion, careening from the tail of a helicopter, shattering through a window, and bouncing along the glass-strewn ground.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I will say that I did really like the one shot of McClane, in slow motion, careening from the tail of a helicopter, shattering through a window, and bouncing along the glass-strewn ground.
    Where he flicked the pilot off as he went by? That was so lame, though not moreso than the rest of the movie. The father/son stuff was painful. It felt like they were cobbled together from cliched moments from a dozen other terrible movies. When I'm actually missing Justin Long, somethingg has gone very, very wrong.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Where he flicked the pilot off as he went by?
    No. He'd been swinging from the truck danging behind the copter, then it tosses him through a building. That's the shot I mean.

How much better would this be, tho, if Liam Neesons was also in this?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Don't disappoint me, Match Cut! There's gotta be somebody out there who's crazy enough to Yay!

(Has there ever been a movie on the forums that's been universally panned in the voting?)

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    (Has there ever been a movie on the forums that's been universally panned in the voting?)
    Not if I have anything to say about it!

(Usually, at least. :P )

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Don't disappoint me, Match Cut! There's gotta be somebody out there who's crazy enough to Yay!

I'm sure it will be me.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    No. He'd been swinging from the truck danging behind the copter, then it tosses him through a building. That's the shot I mean.
    Oh, is that the shot you mean?

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    How much better would this be, tho, if Liam Neesons was also in this?
    Liam Neesons and Bruce Willi can be brothers in Die Hard 6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast