Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bill Shakespeare Thread

The Bill Shakespeare Thread

As an English Lit. major, Shakespeare has always been my weakest point. I've read a few of his plays scattered throughout high school and community college. Yet, it isn't until this semester where I've fully been invested in a majority of his plays. So far we've read Henry IV Part 1 and The Merchant of Venice.

So discuss the bard.

Favorite play?
    Least favorite play?
    Favorite character?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Read this the other week.

The answer is 'Shakespeare'.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Ooooo, good thread. I've been reading a ton of Shakespeare lately, thanks in large part to my Shakespeare class and my Shakespeare professor teaching Senior Seminar last semester.

Favorite play would be Hamlet (I know, boring choice). Most underrated play would be Coriolanus. Favorite character would be Paulina from The Winter's Tale. Least favorite play has easily been The Taming of the Shrew.

Two glaring omissions from my Shakespeare experience are King Lear and Othello, both of which I plan to read this year. Lear is a top priority.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Two glaring omissions from my Shakespeare experience are King Lear and Othello, both of which I plan to read this year. Lear is a top priority.
    Lear and The Tempest for me.

I've never read Hamlet. Easily my biggest omission. Seen the Branagh film though.

I love Othello. Iago might be my favorite Shakespeare character. Such an evil bastard.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

- - - - -
    Least favorite play has easily been The Taming of the Shrew.
    Have you seen it performed? It's pretty amazing.

After you read "Lear," check out the recent performance with Ian McKellan and the Royal Shakespeare Company. I think it's still streaming on Netflix. Incredible stuff.

--

Favorite play: MacBeth
    Favorite character: Mercutio, "Romeo and Juliet" (tie: Edmund & Edgar from "Lear")
    Least favorite: Iago, "Othello." It's a great play, but Iago continues to annoy and confuse me. I've never read anybody who can adequately explain why he does what he does, and that bugs me. He does not seem as rooted in humanity as Shakes' other characters.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Least favorite: Iago, "Othello." It's a great play, but Iago continues to annoy and confuse me. I've never read anybody who can adequately explain why he does what he does, and that bugs me. He does not seem as rooted in humanity as Shakes' other characters.
    Well, he is a racist and is pissed that Othello promoted Cassio over him. I don't think you need a deeper motivation than that.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Lear and The Tempest for me.
    Aw, man, these are probably my two favorites. Doing a close read of King Lear my senior year of high school pretty much changed my life and started my real love affair with classical theater.

I have a latent plan to see every Shakespeare play live at some point in my life. It's latent because I'm not at a point yet where I seek them out, but someday when I have time and money, I will. I've never actually written out a list, but HEY WHY NOT.

I have seen live:
    The Tempest (x2)
    The Two Gentlemen of Verona (x2, neither good)
    The Merry Wives of Windsor
    Measure for Measure (x3, somehow)
    The Comedy of Errors
    Much Ado About Nothing (x3? 4?)
    Midsummer Night's Dream (x5??? or something)
    The Merchant of Venice
    As You Like It (x2)
    The Taming of the Shrew
    All's Well that Ends Well
    Twelfth Night (x3?)
    Henry V
    Henry VI, Part 1
    Henry VI, Part 2
    Henry VI, Part 3 (I saw all three of these together and condensed, but it was like five hours long so I'm counting it.)
    Romeo and Juliet (x3?)
    Julius Caesar (x2)
    Macbeth (x3)
    Hamlet (x3???)
    King Lear (x2, once brilliant and life-changing, once crap and angry-making)
    Othello
    Cymbeline (x2)

I haven't seen live (bolded if I've never read it or seen a film version:
    Love's Labour Lost
    The Winter's Tale (Seeing this in a couple of months!!!)
    Pericles
    The Two Noble Kinsman
    King John
    Richard II
    Henry IV, Part 1
    Henry IV, Part 2

Richard III
    Henry VIII
    Troilus and Cressida
    Coriolanus
    Titus Andronicus

Timon of Athens
    Antony and Cleopatra

I know there are films of Coriolanus and Titus Andronicus I should see. Not sure why I haven't.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I know there are films of Coriolanus and Titus Andronicus I should see. Not sure why I haven't.
    Both are good. Watched the Coriolanus the other week. Does the Shakespeare with Guns thing better than other movies I've seen.

Aw, man, these are probably my two favorites. Doing a close read of King Lear my senior year of high school pretty much changed my life and started my real love affair with classical theater.

The Tempest was replaced as a latter career play the year I took Shakespeare at university with Cymbeline, which is a pretty bananas piece of work. Missed out on the chance to see King Lear live in Wellington with Ian McKellen, which I am angry with myself for.

Cymbeline was surprisingly effective both times I saw it on stage, considering that it's kind of... you know... nuts. There's enough good stuff and a really strong female protagonist to keep you interested, even when gods are descending and crap. BTW, the first time I saw it in London in 1998 Damian Lewis was playing Posthumus.

I saw Ian McKellen live in Enemy of the People on that same trip to London, but I would have killed to see him as Lear. Apparently Ian Holmes also did a great run as Lear on Broadway in the 90's at some point.

The last time I saw Lear live it was awful, but interestingly enough actually featured all the nudity that the play calls for, which is... well, a whole lot of naked. Men were flopping all over the place. It was pretty brave, and it would have interesting in a production that was better overall.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Least favorite play?
    Favorite character?
    Least favorite play so far is easily The Two Gentlemen of Verona. What a mess.

Favorite character is... tricky. I totally love Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing, and the Fool from Lear. But... hmm.
    ...and the milk's in me.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Well, he is a racist and is pissed that Othello promoted Cassio over him. I don't think you need a deeper motivation than that.
    I think that skims the surface. Calling Iago 'racist' is much more modern interpretation (and often seems to stem from the same mindset that can refer to Mark Twain and Ernest Hemingway as 'racist'). I'm not saying that's you, because I don't think it's obvious from the play that Iago is racist. My sense is that that interpretation is often taught, rather than reached independently.

[
    ]

Going to read King Lear before I watch the final season of Slings and Arrows. I've seen Ran, but that hardly counts.

King Lear is easily my favorite Shakespeare. Trying to decide which is my least favorite is a bit more difficult. I wasn't terribly fond of Romeo & Juliet I guess, but I haven't read it since 9th grade, so take that for what it's worth. Favorite character? Yorick.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Have you seen it performed? It's pretty amazing.
    I have not. I was hoping to catch an all male European troupe perform it in Ann Arbor on the 23rd, but my wife and I will be out of town that weekend. I'm bummed. I'm just a huge fan of the way Shakespeare crafts a strong female character, and thus hated his depiction of females in Shrew.

After you read "Lear," check out the recent performance with Ian McKellan and the Royal Shakespeare Company. I think it's still streaming on Netflix. Incredible stuff.
    I definitely plan to. Lear will be the next thing I read after Strange & Norrell, though that's taking me a lot longer because of my Native American Lit class.

- - - - -
    I have not. I was hoping to catch an all male European troupe perform it in Ann Arbor on the 23rd, but my wife and I will be out of town that weekend. I'm bummed. I'm just a huge fan of the way Shakespeare crafts a strong female character, and thus hated his depiction of females in Shrew.
    Heh, yeah. That's the challenge of that play in the modern world. I kinda dig how different troupes approach the problem.

The first time I saw it was with a dinky little off-road Shakespeare-in-the-Park kinda thing and it just blew me away. I wouldn't argue it's his best, or maybe even that it's worth going out of your way for, but it sure is fun.

Othello was always my favorite, but I haven't read any Shakespeare in quite a while (I've read a good portion of his stuff, though).

There really aren't many of his plays I don't like, but Othello has some of my favorite quotes and characters.

Favorite Sonnet:
    [
    ]

Few quotes from Othello:

[
    ]

Funny this should be dug up at this moment. I finally read Lear last week and it knocked me on my ass. Easily shoots to the top of what I've read.

Lear is so, so good.

I'm going to see Measure for Measure on Friday and the production is 18+ for violence, sexual situations, and nudity.

This is the one about the nun, right? :crazy:
    ...and the milk's in me.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Lear is so, so good.

I'm going to see Measure for Measure on Friday and the production is 18+ for violence, sexual situations, and nudity.

And yet, it might be his most overtly sexual work. The whole thing revolves around sex, lust and marriage consummation.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

There is a lot of lusty going on, but not much violence. And it doesn't have inherent nudity like Lear.

I'm mostly worried that they're going to try to make it edgy, when I see the play as mostly a comedy with an edge of social commentary. It might be good, but it might be silly.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I was right to be worried. This was kind of a mess. I'm not sure if there's an exact term for this, but it's something I feel pretty regularly: the embarrassment that results from a production/show/film trying really, really hard to be edgy. Like they're screaming: "You think you know Shakespeare? Well, here are nuns in wimples wearing thongs and pasties while they simulate fellatio fifteen feet from your face! ARE YOU NOT SHOCKED?"

It's not like I haven't seen plays that are legitimately shocking, but it's so mortifying when they try so hard to be shocking and kind of fail.

The really sad part is, when they all calm down and just say the lines, the play is so good. The actors at STC are top-notch, and they can evoke so much emotion with a voice catch and a gesture-- why make them clutch at their crotches so the very back row is clear that the actor is supposed to have an erection? We get it. We're not stupid.

I... just... grr.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I have seen live:
    The Tempest (x2)
    The Two Gentlemen of Verona (x2, neither good)
    The Merry Wives of Windsor
    Measure for Measure (x3, somehow)
    Much Ado About Nothing (x3? 4?)
    Midsummer Night's Dream (x5??? or something)
    The Merchant of Venice
    As You Like It (x2)
    The Taming of the Shrew
    All's Well that Ends Well
    Twelfth Night (x3?)
    Romeo and Juliet (x3?)
    Julius Caesar (x2)
    Macbeth (x3)
    Hamlet (x3???)
    King Lear (x2, once brilliant and life-changing, once crap and angry-making)
    Othello
    Cymbeline (x2)
    The Winter's Tale
    Henry IV, Part 1
    Henry IV, Part 2
    Coriolanus
    Antony and Cleopatra

I haven't seen live (bolded if I've never read it or seen a film version:)
    Love's Labour Lost
    Pericles
    The Two Noble Kinsman
    King John
    Richard II

Henry VIII
    Troilus and Cressida
    Titus Andronicus

Timon of Athens
    The Comedy of Errors
    The Taming of the Shrew
    Richard III
    Henry VI, Part 1
    Henry VI, Part 2
    Henry VI, Part 3

I am re-vamping and updating this list based on different criteria. I now count having seen the play if it was unabridged, and either a professional production, or an amateur production that was excellent or moving in some way. Some of the things I'd counted as having "seen" felt a little fudged. In fact, I've "seen" two productions of Richard III in the last year but they were both terrible and confusing, so I'm holding out for a good one.

And I have seen some great productions since the last time I updated. The Winter's Tale: upsetting and thought-provoking. Coriolanus: rousing and tense. Antony and Cleopatra: much better than I expected. Although Shakespeare is a romantic, he does like to explore obsessive, destructive love, and I'm not sure he does it better than here.

And in the last couple of weeks I saw Henry IV parts 1 & 2 and they were... just... awesome. I have a little bit of a bias against Shakespeare's histories. Sometimes they feel like scene after scene of 15 people, all confusingly related by marriage or blood, arguing about whether or not to go to war. (Spoiler: they go to war. They always go to war.) Although those scenes were here, at heart it was a very personal story about families, love, personal development, friendship, and loss. I was blown away.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I went to see a Russian version of A Midsummer Night's Dream recently with giant puppets, and a performing dog, and none of the protagonists or fairies. It was pretty good.

Portia's father is pretty damn bossy for a dead guy.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast