4 19.05%

Thread: Warm Bodies (Jonathan Levine)

Warm Bodies (Jonathan Levine)

WARM BODIES

Director: Jonathan Levine

imdb

Should I go see this? I'm 50/50 on it.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I thought it was a nice, charming, and heart warming film. Currently working on my review for it, but yeah, I'd recommend it.

Edit: And here's my full review.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    This movie does something I've long been waiting any zombie story to do. [
    ]

Rob Corddry was great. The middle was sorta muddled but it was a decently fun movie.

- - - - -
    A sweet natured film that's heavy on premise and light on story. The movie's wildly inventive in working that premise, though. It's also laugh out loud funny with a few well placed sight gags.

A little saccharine toward the end, but I liked its tone and its overall optimism.

Yeah this was a nice little thing. Cute, even. Rob Corddry is really good, and I loved the brief moment in the plane when R mimes that he's not going to eat Julie.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yeah, my thoughts are pretty much exactly what Irish and Wryan just said.

It's a bit clunky towards the end, but the brunt of its first half or so is just so affably assured, with performances worth clinging onto from very early on, that it made me fairly forgiving in whatever missteps it makes later. It definitely gets a bit corny and moves significantly faster as it goes to seemingly want to breeze past its spottier bits, but I did still at least care about what was going on, even if relatively the same resolution could've been done a little more wryly and leisurely.

But there's also a lot of inventiveness in the main foundations of its zombie science, and its little spins on genre conventions beyond a zombie being the conscious narrator of a story. Aspects like the "corpses" taking on the memories of the people's brains they're eating (especially when they can't remember their own lives), are played so confidently that they work in a very specific, surprising ways. There's a dream sequence a long the way that resonated way more than it should have because of how it works its way into the overall story.

Also, finally a movie that makes Teresa Palmer as lovely and likable on-screen as she always come off in real-life interviews and such.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

So did this just have a really awful, deceiving ad campaign?

Because the trailers make it look, like,...Twilight awful.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Logically inconsistent, flounders through the second act, but still has a lot of charm. The love story totally sells it, and really, that's all the film has to offer. If you can't get on board with that, this movie will be an interminable bore. Also, I wish they had ditched the VO. And this film gets one point off for completely wasting Malkovich. Why cast him at all if he's just going to exist in a role anyone could play?

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Logically inconsistent, flounders through the second act, but still has a lot of charm. The love story totally sells it, and really, that's all the film has to offer. If you can't get on board with that, this movie will be an interminable bore. Also, I wish they had ditched the VO. And this film gets one point off for completely wasting Malkovich. Why cast him at all if he's just going to exist in a role anyone could play?
    As much as I hated this film, Teresa Palmer was charming as fuck-all. Her adorableness was so potent, it occasionally distracted me from how painfully emo-lame the whole thing was. I hope she starts showing up in more, hopefully better, projects.

Eh, this was bad. The good reception everywhere confuses me.

It's not like I hated it, but I've rarely seen a movie with more transparent plot points. Point, point, point until the end. You can always predict with 100% assurance what's going to happen next. I was bored.

I did laugh near the end when [
    ] About the only chuckle the movie gave me.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    A boring and silly premise disguised by convenient editing and emotional music. Worth a viewing? Maybe.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    Silly, but it's very watchable. Nicholas Hoult nails it.