Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Justified (Season 4)

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Huh? Dewey was duped. His kidneys weren't touched.
    Oh, I must have stopped watching the ep before that revelation.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

- - - - -
    The only retconn the bugs me is around Boyd's cousin. The guy's gone from being wheelchair bound to walking around, occasionally, with a cane. Huh?

I'm surprised that [
    ].

seems like qrazy is watching a different, worse show also called justified

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    The only retconn the bugs me is around Boyd's cousin. The guy's gone from being wheelchair bound to walking around, occasionally, with a cane. Huh?
    He was never wheelchair-bound, just really messed up from, you know, being shot in the gut with a shotgun. He mentioned a couple of episodes back that it causes him extreme pain to walk at all, but he does it to be taken more seriously or something.

Yeah, it's not unheard of for people to get in an accident and then, over time, recover bit by bit.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I'm enjoying this new season. It started a little off, chaotic, but it's become the most complex batch of episodes so far in the show, with multiple subplots, diverse character relationships and a confusing main storyline. Which, if plainly explained, is basically a sharp steeplechase between the "good guys" and the "bad guys", with Boyd and Raylan as standard-bearers (one as an ambitious mercenary, the other as a pride-guided man of law). The expectations they are building up for "Drew Thompson" are getting out of hand, though, we'll see how they resolve that.

And screenplay-wise I think they are getting more and more consistent, specially the latter part of the season.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    He was never wheelchair-bound, just really messed up from, you know, being shot in the gut with a shotgun. He mentioned a couple of episodes back that it causes him extreme pain to walk at all, but he does it to be taken more seriously or something.
    Yeah, I see what you're saying. Not sure what the show's timeline is, but in realtime he was in that chair for over 2 years. That makes it feel a little off if he suddenly gets up & starts walking around.

Sure, they explained it. But that explanation felt false to me, like they really just wanted to retcon the character a bit and make him more mobile. (I guess somebody realized the chair wouldn't fit into Winn Duffy's trailer).

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Arlo's symptoms last season are a) a huge stretch given his issues and his medication b) there was a reason he stopped taking his meds, do you remember what it was?
    Enlighten me.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Enlighten me.
    I don't remember, that's why I'm asking. I figured there was no explanation given as per the show's bad writing.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Not sure what the show's timeline is, but in realtime he was in that chair for over 2 years. That makes it feel a little off if he suddenly gets up & starts walking around.

Sure, they explained it. But that explanation felt false to me, like they really just wanted to retcon the character a bit and make him more mobile. (I guess somebody realized the chair wouldn't fit into Winn Duffy's trailer).
    Yeah exactly I mean that's the definition of retcon isn't it? There's some throw away line to justify something that doesn't really make sense? That's what I"m talking about about this show, there's a lot of that. Not saying they don't justify their absurd story shifts at all (after all the show is called Justified), just that the justifications are weak.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Justifications are almost irrelevant. Nothing is as ridiculous than Boyd's journey in the show so far, and people are loving him.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I don't remember, that's why I'm asking. I figured there was no explanation given as per the show's bad writing.
    He was challenged on it multiple times. He was defiant that he didn't need it, which goes with his stubbornness unbound from Helen's more pragmatic mind. There was even a scene where Boyd made him take it before a meeting or job (can't remember which).

I thought your post was insinuating there was more to it. I honestly don't see the bad writing, or at the very least any "retcon" job.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Justifications are almost irrelevant. Nothing is as ridiculous than Boyd's journey in the show so far, and people are loving him.
    It is completely ridiculous the only thing which makes it tolerable is Goggins has great presence.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Does number8 watch this show? I'd like to hear his thoughts on the evil people sex party featured in this season.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    The one thing I didn't like plot-wise of the last episode is Tonin jumping in bed with Boyd after Boyd has just blatantly lied to him and got one of his musclemen killed. That didn't make much sense to me.
    It wasn't Tonin's muscle, it was Wynn Duffy's muscle. Boyd was showing Tonin how he duped Duffy and should be the main squeeze.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I am absolutely adoring this season, even if there is some retconed what not I don't really care because I love it too much.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    It wasn't Tonin's muscle, it was Wynn Duffy's muscle. Boyd was showing Tonin how he duped Duffy and should be the main squeeze.
    The killer came from Tonin; Duffy told Boyd an assassin was coming down, and the photo thing only makes sense if he is sending them to Tonin, because Tonin knows what Drew Thompson looks like and Duffy doesn't.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

What did you guys think of last night's ep?

[
    ]

I guess it doesn't bother me too much in the long run because I'm not as invested in the Drew Thompson stuff as everything else, but it feels kind of strange.

What an incredible episode. The "chasing the wagon" scene might be my favorite of the season yet.

Season has been great; the best thing is there is still two episodes left, and they could go anywhere.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

- - - - -
    Liked last week better than this week. This episode felt repetitive -- two opposing groups searching for a MacGuffinish character I didn't care about at all. Yawn.

The teaser bit at the end was just ... not so interesting.

Ellen May was the heart of the season. I assume she wasn't genre enough for you?

I think the teaser sets up an interesting potential change in the dynamic of the show; Raylan has been cruising along in his dickish good guy routine for all four seasons now, single-mindedly doing his thing and never really having a lot of shit stick to him. I hope that whatever they plan for the final episode, it sets up a following season where Raylan sweats a bit.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Liked last week better than this week. This episode felt repetitive -- two opposing groups searching for a MacGuffinish character I didn't care about at all. Yawn.

The teaser bit at the end was just ... not so interesting.
    I didn't like it as much, but I thought it hit the right beats, and I always appreciate different story arcs coming together. Ellen May herself isn't that interesting to me, but she means a lot to a bunch of characters, and that added to the excitement. The pace was slower than last weeks, but I really loved some of the individual scenes, especially the Colt/Tim standoff.

The ending left me filled with dread, but unless I'm missing something is there something significant about what they delivered (I kept expecting a bomb to go off)? Other than the mob knows where Raylan lives, etc.

I really like the way they dealt with Drew Thompson. With the big bads of the last few seasons being taken out in elaborate gunfights, a low key, and happy considering the circumstances, ending to his story was pretty satisfying.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast