Thread: Justified (Season 4)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar

Justified (Season 4)

Really liking this season. It's less focused (this last episode didn't even mention a parachute once) and without one common villain, at least so far. Raylan is really floundering and kind of directionless. His road trip adventures to catch up to the woman who stole money from him and her cockfighting-wannabe-ex-fist-fighting husband was a joy of laconic wit and the final showdown with beanbag bullets had great timing.

I do wish the church tale had gone on longer. Perhaps it will be resurrected (pun intended) later in the season.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I really enjoy the way this show just does what it wants essentially, with each new season, without having to strictly adhere to the usual method of a protagonist dealing with a Big Bad over the course of a year. The Drew Thompson mystery is interesting, and I have a feeling it'll have a great payoff later on, but I like the fact that it doesn't have to be a part of every episode, or shoehorned into the last minute to remind viewers its there. I don't really care for Lindsey as a character, but the characters in that story (the boxers, the dude who owns the house, etc) have all been entertaining. Also nice to see them incorporating Rachel into Raylan's storylines.

Yeah, that was a fantastic episode. I'm just bowled over by how great this season has been, and how even after four seasons I have no idea where it's going.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    I really enjoy the way this show just does what it wants essentially, with each new season, without having to strictly adhere to the usual method of a protagonist dealing with a Big Bad over the course of a year.
    ^ This.

I find it really interesting that show is moving away from Raylan as protagonist and toward being more of an ensemble, what with all the divergent storylines.

This past episode was excellent. I liked how they developed the bartender character, carrying her over from previous seasons.

Favorite line:

Any fool that didn't see that grifter Barbie coming a mile off deserves getting his ass fleeced.
    The expression on Raylan's face and the way he segues past that line is priceless.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I do wish the church tale had gone on longer. Perhaps it will be resurrected (pun intended) later in the season.
    I'm guessing the sister will definitely play more of a role, perhaps with Ellen May (a great example of a colourful supporting character given more depth over time - now if they can only do the same for Rachel and Tim).

The last episode was perhaps my least favourite of the season so far, if only because I was hoping that the bartender/boxer storyline had something more meaty behind it, especially as the boxer may have been a good foil for Raylan. And the very final scene at the gas station was unusually clumsy and poorly shot.

Still, very much enjoying the season so far. This and Breaking Bad remain the only two currently airing dramas that I find myself looking forward to. Homeland went to shit, and Treme is more of an old friend that you drop in on from time to time.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    As I was watching the latest episode I was a little confused because I had somehow thought the waitress was pregnant with Raylan's child. I feel like they said something like that in the first two episodes... But now I don't think that is the case.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    We're all aware of this, right?

--->
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)