Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Americans (Season 1)

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    I love the premise. Pilot was real solid. Weirdest scene was probably when they're introduced to each other in Moscow already in character. Noah Emmerich's character being a neighbor was the only big contrivance, but I like how it'll ratchet up the tension to every banal across-the-fence interaction.

Second episode saw no drop off in quality. Would have liked a little more background on why they were tailing the woman. We don't get it until he walks up to her at the market. I guess them being travel agents of some kind will help explain them being away at weird hours, but it does feel like the show will forget about their children when it's convenient.

Again, love the premise. Ballsy to see a Cold War series from the point of view of Soviet spies. I think what we'll end up seeing is a constant move, counter move as in Episode 2. It will always be about a zero sum game. I guess we shouldn't be surprised if the ratings don't do so well given the show's POV. I hope the ratings stabilize.

I'm still just trying to wrap my head around how we're seeing period pieces in the 1980s.

I assume we'll see a flashback of their training in those mythical "America Town" simulators.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

MARGO MARTINDALE.

MY LIFE IS NOW COMPLETE.

(I haven't watched it all the way through yet, but this was an important moment for me.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Done. Another strong episode, and I love how much we're digging into the emotional gray area of their marriage.

Martindale is a stone cold, matronly killer... which is perfect.
    ...and the milk's in me.

The scene where they grabbed that guys wife off the street was so smoothly directed. Movies could learn a lot about spatial awareness and wordless storytelling from that scene.

I'm midway through the third episode. The second episode was really great TV, and I was captivated throughout. Please don't cancel my new favorite show about commie spies hiding out in 80s 'burbs America, FX.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Big improvement over the pilot with the second and third episodes. On board now.

Very, very good integration of a past historical event. In retrospect, we don't think about the Reagan assassination attempt as being a big deal-- crazy guy, a few bullets, whatever. In fact, watching this episode I was shocked to hear someone actually died during it. (Turns out, no. That was initial misinformation.) But it's great to see how frustrating and frightening it must have been. When everyone's finger is on the trigger, don't jump into a room and yell "Boo!"

This was also a great opportunity to spear the couples' second honeymoon by pointing out what problems they already have-- each argument sounds like they've been having it for a decade. And it doesn't matter if they're talking about a nuclear football or who drank the last of the milk-- a marital fight is a marital fight. And I love that we got to see another marital fight between the FBI agent and his wife, about how marriages change over time, because that's great thematic continuity.

I did not expect this show to be quite so good. I've really been impressed so far.

Keri Russell's hair is so flipping pretty that I can hardly handle it. I don't have terribly clear memories of the early 80's, but I don't remember anyone having hair that great. It was a frizzy, fried, crunchy decade.

The daughter's boyfriend looks like Michael Cera.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    The daughter's boyfriend looks like Michael Cera.
    I did NOT make the connection that M.C.-guy was FBI guy's son. Whoops.

Not too much of a fan of that. It's a little too tidy in a storytelling sense.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Have they explained where the kids think their parents are all these nights?

[
    ]

I agree with everything you said, Mara. I actually came in here ready to comment on how I like the thematic echoes of the FBI agent and his wife's marriage. I'd also like to add that the stuff happening behind the camera is just as impressive. The editing and cinematography are right up there with the best of television.

EDIT: Oh, one thing I do disagree on. I don't see Michael Cera. I see a younger kid from American Horror Story (Tate in S1/Kit in S2).

Is number8 watching this show? And if not, why not?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Renewed for a second season!
    Out of 4 stars:

I didn't like this episode quite as much as the previous one, but I'm still really into this show. Some fantastic work from Noah Emmerich, again.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Really good word-of-mouth was a plus, but after still not having seen any of this, today's renewal is pretty much my official go-ahead to comfortably do so. I mean at best, I know there's gonna be 26 episodes of it.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Apropos of nothing, watching this show has led to a bit that my roommate and I are doing about the cat. Willow Cat is a total sweetheart until she's not, and we've decided her bouts of bad behavior are because she likes to pretend to be an undercover Soviet spy named Catya Willowski trying to sabotage our capitalist pleasures.
    ...and the milk's in me.

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Apropos of nothing, watching this show has led to a bit that my roommate and I are doing about the cat. Willow Cat is a total sweetheart until she's not, and we've decided her bouts of bad behavior are because she likes to pretend to be an undercover Soviet spy named Catya Willowski trying to sabotage our capitalist pleasures.
    Out of 4 stars:

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    now that this has been renewed I'll start watching it.

FX is replaying the first five episodes Friday for those who want to jump on.

Latest episode is my favorite so far. I'm starting to get whiffs of Mad Men here. Not only is this series heavily integrating the political/social milieu of its time, but it's making intriguing commentary on gender roles. I do not predict a happy road ahead for dear Nina.

I'm glad that they're moving beyond "what forced sex is doing to their marriage" into "what forced sex is doing to them as human beings." It's an interesting, tricky twist to take.

Also, the spy stuff continues gripping.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I knew where the plot was heading after the first few minutes, but it was still another damn good episode. The core family relationships have been done really well. I thought even the kids held their own in this episode, Homeland should take some cues.

The actions scenes are incredibly well shot for TV...I'm amazed at how badass Felicity is looking.

Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    I knew where the plot was heading after the first few minutes
    Me too, but I was surprised how riveting it still ended up being.

I'm going to start rating every episode by the number of times I gasp aloud. This one was a four-gasper.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Combing through some online reviews I'm finding criticisms of the subplot with the kids, which I actually really liked. This is the first time we see how much the children are like their parents, instead of unlike them: alone and isolated, they behave with a mixture of caution and bravado; but when threatened, they become violent and proactive. And, more than anything: loyal to each other, and secretive. I thought it was great.
    ...and the milk's in me.

My feelings are coming out in dribbles today.

I was shocked-- totally shocked-- to see a fit, gorgeous badass like Elizabeth beat the crap out of the face of an older, doughy woman who was incapable of fighting back. (Part of it is that I love Martindale, but part of it was that you don't see that.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

The scenes with the kids this week were wonderful.

I was completely ok with the midepisode twist being predictable. The episode title coupled with the "previously on" segment kind of gave it away anyway. They didn't drag it out and it created good conflict. It was less of a hinge and more of a propellant.

As beautiful as Keri Russell is in this, I'm kind of enamored by the actress playing Nina. I'd love to see her role continue somehow instead of meeting her predictable doomsday.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    It's my Spring Break so I watched the first episode. Good stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast