Thread: Girls (Season 2)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Girls (Season 2)

Really enjoying this season thus far (through episode 3). More than anything, it's so far been consistently hilarious and without any head scratching plot developments. Hope they keep it up.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I don't think the Marnie and Booth stuff worked terribly well this week, otherwise I'm in agreement.

I haven't been too enamored with the first three episodes, abundance of Andrew Rannells not withstanding. However, I went ahead and watched the 4th episode on HBO Go and it was pretty damn fantastic.

Aye, the upcoming 4th episode may be the best of the show, definitely best of the season.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Should probably move S2 discussion the subforum.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Should probably move S2 discussion the subforum.
    Yeah, this is a new procedure so for right now I have moved over the discussion for just this episode. If you want to move over other specific posts, it's really easy to do.

And I know this is new stuff, so if it annoys or frustrates anyone, please just let us know.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I don't like this show but I watch it with my wife. Don't really find it interesting or funny. And for a show about girls the best characters so far have been guys. At least Jessa and Shoshanna have been marginalized so far in season 2 as they were nothing characters. Shoshanna in particular who is overly exaggerated and one-note. It could do more with the post BA 20-somethings theme but the writing is pretty bad imo.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Meh. I can't stand her. Episode seemed like self-aware wish fulfillment to me, basically a female rendition of a Woody Allen scenario.
    Right down to the jazzy blues piano at the end. I'm giving Dunham the benefit of the doubt that we're supposed to find Hannah a bit ridiculous. She spent the last part of her tirade mentioning how she's upset that she did all of the talking but then slips twice in conversation to reveal she hasn't listened to anything he has said. She's completely unaware of the level of her narcissism.

I did like the episode. Patrick Wilson fit very well here.

We are definitely supposed to find Hannah somewhat ridiculous. The comment regarding Fiona Apple? Come on.

It is wish-fulfillment to a degree, yeah, but I didn't mind within the context of the episode.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    She spent the last part of her tirade mentioning how she's upset that she did all of the talking but then slips twice in conversation to reveal she hasn't listened to anything he has said. She's completely unaware of the level of her narcissism.
    Yeah, she thinks he's happy because he has things, but it's incredibly clear that he isn't anywhere near happy.

I think I was intrigued by this episode more than I actually enjoyed it. Patrick Wilson was a perfect and unexpected choice, though.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I think I was intrigued by this episode more than I actually enjoyed it. Patrick Wilson was a perfect and unexpected choice, though.
    This. I found myself equal parts liking it and hating it.

Also I know Dunham has made mention of the usage of her own nudity but it has been a part of every episode so far.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    Also I know Dunham has made mention of the usage of her own nudity but it has been a part of every episode so far.
    I feel like its really forced at times, too. Like, "hey guys I know this is HBO and you want to see supermodel boobs, but I'm gonna make sure all you see is mine, because I'm not conventionally attractive so I gotta make sure everyone realizes how empowering this is." I get it, I just don't need it to be so obvious. I will say that the internet responses to these scenes does shed some light on the double standards of female nudity, as I've seen a disturbing amount of "ain't no one wanna see Lena Dunham's fatass on screen yo" comments.

Essentially, this is what makes me still go back and forth on this show. I really loved how this episode was shot and directed, and the bottled aspect of it. It felt a lot like an episode of Louie. However, I have to spend the entire episode with Hannah who continues to be awful. It was just hard at all to connect in any way with her or Dunham's acting during her big emotional scene, although I did enjoy Patrick Wilson's casting. The one thing I did buy though was that this dude would be lonely enough to have this fling, especially since he's much older, and living in a neighborhood that he feels alienated by. I was moved by the ending though, and I thought the last shot was simple but perfect.

Basically, I keep watching the show even though there is so much of it I don't like because of episodes like last week at Hannah's party, and because I do like when the show branches out to show what characters like Ray and Shoshana are up to. It just becomes problematic to me when the show goes back to being all around Hannah.

Did anyone else notice that it sounded like Dunham was yawning throughout the entirety of her crying sequence?

I was not at all surprise to see in the end credits that Judd Apatow wrote that episode.

The most authentic relationship of the finale was Adam and Siri.

That finale was abysmal.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+