Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Girls (Season 2)

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    In an episode full of painful moments, the one that stabbed me right in the gut and almost made my teeth shatter was Marnie singing "You can be my white Kate Moss tonight" to Charlie.
    Yes. That struck me as well since it makes no sense as a lyric anymore.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    Yes. That struck me as well since it makes no sense as a lyric anymore.
    Pretty great satire of all those dudes on YouTube doing acoustic covers of Gaga and the likes and changing "he" to "she" in the lyrics though.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Ehh, personally I'm just sick of the pervasiveness of graphic sex in art. Freud is too widely embraced by artists for me and I don't find that ceaselessly portraying it communicates all that much of interest after a certain point. But that's just me, to each their own.
    I appreciate the way Girls uses graphic sex because it almost always is used to develop characters psychologically. I think this is a pretty clear line of demarcation between Girls and other shows on cable. Like Game of Thrones for instance, which just seems to enjoy throwing boobs at viewers.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    I appreciate the way Girls uses graphic sex because it almost always is used to develop characters psychologically. I think this is a pretty clear line of demarcation between Girls and other shows on cable. Like Game of Thrones for instance, which just seems to enjoy throwing boobs at viewers.
    HBO in general is terrible for this. One of the only major flaws with The Wire are the glamor shot sex scenes.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

By far my least favorite episode of the season. The only storyline that felt organic was Soshanna/Ray's. The rest just made me roll my eyes.

Also, FaceTime requires an active WiFi connection, Dunham.

I fear I'm on the verge of a Hannah Horvath-level mental breakdown from work stress and deadlines. But I would never do that to my hair. Holy hell.

I'm not sure what I was supposed to make of that ending. Was she going for romantic or fucked up? Because I interpreted the latter. Particularly for Hannah and Marnie who only feel at peace with a devoted man at their side because their respective lives had hit rock bottom and they needed something to go in their favor. If Marnie didn't want Charlie when the weather was fair, she's not going to want him when the clouds part again. Double for Hannah. At least Shoshanna assessed the situation and made a concrete decision.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I'm not sure what I was supposed to make of that ending. Was she going for romantic or fucked up?
    A little of column A, a little of column B.

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    Two years in a row I've had a very adverse reaction to the finale. The scene with Marnie/Charlie at brunch, and the entire last sequence seemed completely off with the show's tone. It's hard for me to put my finger exactly on why, but I felt the same way about the whole wedding plot last year -- it almost seems like a dream sequence it's so heightened.

That said, I would watch an entire show of Adam interacting with his phone.
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

I was not at all surprise to see in the end credits that Judd Apatow wrote that episode.

The most authentic relationship of the finale was Adam and Siri.

That finale was abysmal.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Also, FaceTime requires an active WiFi connection, Dunham.
    Nope.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    Nope.
    Has something changed over the past year?

Has something changed over the past year?
    Yeah, since the release of iOS6.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Some really awful stuff in that finale. I never would have thought that of all the things that would bother me on this show, it would be overly saccharine scenes. The stuff with Hannah and Adam at the end seemed like it was lifted out of an ABC Family show, and I could really care less for that coupling so it was just brutal to watch. I like Charlie's sense of humor but being with Marnie again is a dead end for the character. Ray/Shoshanna stuff was good as usual, but also predictable. Forgot that Jessa was on this show.

In terms of sophomore seasons, this was overall much stronger and took chances in ways that stopped the show from falling into any kind of rut. That being said, that finale was really disappointing in the way it brought everything back to status quo pretty much. I found Adam's character to actually be really interesting this year when he was off doing his own thing away from Hannah. I'm not sure how much more mileage they can get out of those two. Likewise, I thought Marnie had some really hilarious moments this year off on her own. I'd like to see more episodes like one where they were all at dinner or something like Hannah's tryst with the neighbor, except with the other characters. The Hannah navel gazing is when the show is at it's weakest.

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    I dunno. This show started to lose me this season. Just wasn't as into it.

Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    The Hannah navel gazing is when the show is at it's weakest. As far as I'm concerned, the less Hannah, the better.
    This was a big part of the reason why. I just don't like the character. I like most of the other characters. Adam not so much. I guess I'm getting tired of characters that seem crazy for the sake of crazy. And after two seasons, I'm disappointed there isn't more to him. Jessa was also largely forgotten.

Otherwise, I enjoyed how the season took everyone's situation from season one and turned it upside down.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

From "Bad Friend" through "Video Games," I'm not sure there was an episode that was less than stellar. "It's a Shame About Ray" and "One Man's Trash" in particular stand out as just exquisite pieces of television. Unfortunately the season started to show its seems with the introduction of Hannah's OCD, and, despite a really good penultimate episode, the whole thing kind of collapsed in on itself. I liked the individual arcs of the finale (I seem to be alone in loving Adam running across town on FaceTime), but Dunham and Apatow's hands guiding everything to neat resolutions was a bit too keenly felt.

Both seasons have kind of faltered when they attempted to wrap things up. I'm curious to see whether an extra two episodes will make things flow a little better in season three.

Yeah, I'd say S1 was more consistently good, but it didn't hit the peaks of the admittedly uneven S2. That whole middle chunk of this season was just extraordinary stuff. Really too bad about that finale.
    Movie Theater Diary

So much for Marnie's married life. The actor who plays Charlie has quit the show and won't be back next season.
    Movie Theater Diary

From Page Six, so take it for what you will (though they were the first to accurately report he quit):

But sources told Page Six that Abbott ("Charlie") and Dunham began butting heads as the critical-darling series entered production again. “They’ve just started work on Season 3, and Chris is at odds with Lena,” a source said. “He didn’t like the direction things are going in, which seems a bit odd since the show put him on the map.”
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234