View Poll Results: Upstream Color (Shane Carruth)

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

36 80.00%
  • Nay

9 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upstream Color (Shane Carruth)

Upstream Color (Shane Carruth)

UPSTREAM COLOR
    Director: Shane Carruth

IMDb page

Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Thanks for making this. I had intended to eventually get around to doing it. But yes, I saw it at Sundance, and Shane did a 30 minute Q&A afterwards. The funny thing is usually if a director comes to screenings they will only go to the Park City and Salt Lake City screenings. Very few ever come out to the Sundance proper screenings since they are so out of the way but he mentioned how much he liked the small venue and how out of the way it was. I hadn't seen Primer and went based on my friend who had seen it and wanted to see this one so all I knew was there would likely be some sort of unconventionality to the film. This was indeed the case and I quite liked it, even more so after mulling it over for a while.

I've got some of the answers to his questions written down but I'll hang onto them until more people have seen the film.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I desperately need to see this. I didn't even realize it starred indie uber-darling Amy Seimetz. Her own recent directorial effort Sun Don't Shine is getting wicked-good buzz and sounds fantastic.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

he said in casting her that he was looking for a lot of different people and then he watched Sun Don't Shine and fell in love with her and knew she had to be that part. He was worried she might as a director try to direct as well but she didn't and he adored having her in the film.

D'Angelo liked it.
    blog
    twitter
    letterboxd
    almost arthouse (ep #28: remembering PSH and most anticipated 2014 films)

Yay, this is playing in Toronto in April, when I'll have moved there. Can't wait.

Even after the raves, it didn't really sound all that appealing, until I found out that the last 30 minutes is almost dialogue-free. If that's true, I'm suddenly keen to see it, and I'm not really sure why. Perhaps I just enjoy experiments with form more than elliptical, purposefully shapeless narratives? I is confused with myself.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

It's more like the last 10 minutes, but that is still true.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    It's more like the last 10 minutes, but that is still true.
    But there are also a number of 5-10 minute sequences throughout the film with little-to-no dialogue. It's interesting to see Carruth go from a rapid-fire dialogue heavy film like Primer to a film that feels like the most abstract sequences of Tree of Life extended to feature length. This'll be one of the most divisive films of the year on MatchCut and elsewhere. Trans, EWO and the narrative-only cinema collective will despise it, but I imagine it's high ambitions will land it in a number of top 10s as well. I find myself more on the fence, appreciating its bold attempts at a new form of highly rhythmic, musical storytelling (regardless of anyone's take on the film, it's editing is quite remarkable) yet still frustrated at its deliberate obtuseness which undermines its lofty thematic preoccupations.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I desperately need to see this. I didn't even realize it starred indie uber-darling Amy Seimetz. Her own recent directorial effort Sun Don't Shine is getting wicked-good buzz and sounds fantastic.
    FYI, the film was also co-edited by Sun Don't Shine editor, David Lowery (who also directly Ain't Them Bodies Saints which is also getting great buzz). The editing in Upstream incredibly impressive - rhythmic and intuitive, almost purely musical. In the Q&A, both Lowery and Carruth talked about how critical and difficult the editing process was to the final product and it really shows, even if the end result isn't quite as cohesive as it could have been, although time and a rewatch could certainly help this type of film. So yeah, definitely much more excited for Sun Don't Shine after this.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    But there are also a number of 5-10 minute sequences throughout the film with little-to-no dialogue. It's interesting to see Carruth go from a rapid-fire dialogue heavy film like Primer to a film that feels like the most abstract sequences of Tree of Life extended to feature length.
    Interesting. I might have to check this out even though I'm not a big Primer fan in part because of the reasons you mentioned. I felt like I was inside an engineering convention.

yet still frustrated at its deliberate obtuseness which undermines its lofty thematic preoccupations.
    Wasn't that some people's argument against the film in your avatar?
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Interesting. I might have to check this out even though I'm not a big Primer fan in part because of the reasons you mentioned. I felt like I was inside an engineering convention.
    I would almost go so far as saying your reaction to Primer has almost no bearing on what you'll think of this. It's a totally different beast.

Quote Quoting Pop Trash
    Wasn't that some people's argument against the film in your avatar?
    Um, I guess? This film's events are far more ambiguous and more tenuously connected than anything in The Master. I mean, I love that nature of filmmaking so I'm certainly not suggesting it never works, just that when it is pushed to a certain extreme, you risk allowing your ambition to allow things to spiral a bit out of control. All I'll say is watch this film and tell me you think The Master is nearly as difficult a film...not really worth comparing otherwise.

Great. A screening of this with Carruth Q&A moderated by Soderbergh is sold out and I missed it. :sad:
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Great. A screening of this with Carruth Q&A moderated by Soderbergh is sold out and I missed it. :sad:
    yeah, wish i got tix for that. i'll be seeing a screening with carruth on sunday

Indisputably a major film, though I wasn't always feeling it - it vacillates (for me, at least) between something to let wash over you and something that begs for active intellectual engagement, and ends up feeling a little lopsided. But ultimately it succeeds on the former point more than the latter, and there were a number of sections of the film where I was greatly moved without quite being able to pinpoint why.

The opening portion with Seimetz & the thief is probably the strongest and most distinctive; the fragments-of-relationship stuff felt a little too Malicky (what doesn't these days?).

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    the fragments-of-relationship stuff felt a little too Malicky (what doesn't these days?).
    Even Malick is too Malicky for you these days, so not sure how to take this.

But I agree with you overall. A flawed film for sure, but one that demands to be seen.

I'm not sure what to make of this. It's either some crazy/brilliant film about the tyranny of narrative in motion pictures (among other things) or one of the most incoherent American narrative(?) films since Dennis Hopper's The Last Movie. It kept having these weird segways into things such as Cronenberg style body horror and foley artistry. I'm downright amazed that anyone is putting a story together w/o either having read interviews/interpretations or directly interviewing Shane Carruth himself and asking him "soo...what the hell did I just watch?"

Ultimately I feel like movies like The Tree of Life or Holy Motors, while not making total logical sense, make sense thematically, but with Upstream Color I keep grasping at straws.

It most certainly makes me want to re-read Walden, so there's that.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

It most certainly makes me want to re-read Walden, so there's that.
    Best part of the Q&A was when Carruth was asked about Walden. He said he originally chose it because he remembered it being dense and boring him to death in high school and that was the type of book he wanted Kris to read from. So it was almost dumb luck that it fit thematically with what he was going for.

I had the same exact reaction to the film you did.

Best part of the Q&A was when Carruth was asked about Walden. He said he originally chose it because he remembered it being dense and boring him to death in high school and that was the type of book he wanted Kris to read from. So it was almost dumb luck that it fit thematically with what he was going for.
    So Carruth is basically admitting it's a bunch of bullshit then? Mmmk.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    This was freaking astounding. I will be thinking about this film for a long time.

So Carruth is basically admitting it's a bunch of bullshit then? Mmmk.
    Or he's being cagey, like any good filmmaker should be.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Or he's being cagey, like any good filmmaker should be.
    Debatable. Steven Soderbergh is one of the most uncagey directors out there and I love the dude.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Well, I like him too but Soderbergh has never made a film like this. Also, in an interview with The Awl, Carruth gave a more thematically inspired response about choosing Walden. So I don't think we should read too much into the Q&A.

If you want to assume it's all bullshit though, go right ahead.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

He said the same exact thing at my Q&A as well and that's like 3 months apart from his.

Though the thing to remember about Carruth is you can tell during Q&As that he's incredibly nervous and he desperately wants people to like him. During my Q&A he ended by saying we were the best audience yet because in every other one he kept dreading it because he thought he would have to justify everything because nobody likes him. But then we were nice so he felt better.

But how he explained the Walden bit at mine is he wasn't looking for poetry that would help with the narrative, he was looking for something which sounded like it was a slog, droning on and on as something to just help with the twisting of the brain so he remembered back to high school and Walden was the most boring poet he could remember and so in looking through Walden's stuff he then found one which actually helped the narrative and liked it for the piece. So the first intention was that it wasn't supposed to be good but as it was going then he found it would actually be amazing.

Best Boy
    :|

Wigwam here to shake shit up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast