Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House of Cards (Season 1)

House of Cards (Season 1)

The first of four original shows Netflix is launching this year is just days away. Has anyone else seen the BBC original?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Are they releasing all of the episodes at once or will we have to wait a week like standard television?

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Are they releasing all of the episodes at once or will we have to wait a week like standard television?
    All at once. Pretty sure a second season was part of the initial deal so there will ultimately be 26 hours of this. I'm excited. Finnncchhherrrrrr.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Yeah, entire seasons at once is going to be Netflix's "television" model for all their original programming. They don't have ads or a schedule, so it's not like it matters to them when you watch it, so long that you pay the membership to watch it. Netflix users are used to watching full seasons in a row on Netflix, so they don't want to disrupt that experience with a different watching model.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Yeah, entire seasons at once is going to be Netflix's "television" model for all their original programming. They don't have ads or a schedule, so it's not like it matters to them when you watch it, so long that you pay the membership to watch it. Netflix users are used to watching full seasons in a row on Netflix, so they don't want to disrupt that experience with a different watching model.
    Such a great idea.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

When does this become available?

The date is on the poster, dude.
    Movie Theater Diary

How's this going to work for the purposes of the subforum? These threads get moved back the main TV forum once the season ends, right? Well, if I'm understanding this correctly, Season 1 ends the same day it premieres. :lol:

Going to be interesting to see how this goes. This whole-season-at-once roll out kind of makes episodes-by-episode discussion impossible. I foresee an abundance of spoiler tags.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The date is on the poster, dude.
    ...how bout that.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    How's this going to work for the purposes of the subforum? These threads get moved back the main TV forum once the season ends, right? Well, if I'm understanding this correctly, Season 1 ends the same day it premieres. :lol:

Going to be interesting to see how this goes. This whole-season-at-once roll out kind of makes episodes-by-episode discussion impossible. I foresee an abundance of spoiler tags.
    This is a really good point. The no-spoiler model we cooked up probably won't work with Netflix shows.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    ...how bout that.
    I guess that the subforum would be for people who are watching the first season for the first time (spoilers would be courteous, like "spoilers through episode four") but then the next year would have its own subthread where they could talk bout season one without spoilers. I guess. Does that make sense?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I guess that the subforum would be for people who are watching the first season for the first time (spoilers would be courteous, like "spoilers through episode four") but then the next year would have its own subthread where they could talk bout season one without spoilers. I guess. Does that make sense?
    Actually, it does. I guess the spoiler tagging would have probably gotten pretty unwieldy as the show moved into its second and potentially third season.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Can't wait to start this tonight. Also, if you don't have streaming and only have discs (which i doubt anyone here has) Netflix is giving away the first episode to disc people.

Oh wait, you don't even need to be a netflix subscriber to watch the first episode. Good tease Netflix.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

They're probably going to do that with every show they debut. It's the same tactic cable channels use, by unlocking the channel for free on the broadcast of season premieres.
    Movie Theater Diary

It's going to be so satisfying being able to run through all 13 episodes at once. Before doing that with Game of Thrones recently, the last time I did that was probably season 1 of 24.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I used to wish that the 24 DVDs would have black screens inserted into the commercial breaks to make each episode a full hour, because it was bothering me when I did that insane real-time marathon of Season 1 I did and I was actually ahead of the show clock-wise.
    Movie Theater Diary

Hah! That's right the episodes would only be 45 minutes. You'd save a full hour ever 4 episodes. That's only an 18 hour marathon. Weak.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Watched the first two episodes last night.

It's good!

In a television director role, this is Fincher at his most stylistically restrained. But that doesn't mean he doesn't inject himself into enough of this that you feel he's elevating what might've been routine in other people's hands with a different cast, more typical visual texture, and less trademark cynical slant. A lot of this could just be in his role as Executive Producer, and I wouldn't be surprised if the directors from here on out (Joel Schmacher?!) just do their best to imitate what he established here, but it's undoubtedly strong caliber stuff for television, even for a series as unorthodox as this.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Well, I really dug the pilot of this. It took me a bit to acclimate myself to it, but by the end I was hooked. We'll see if it keeps up.

- - - - -
    Jesus Christ. This is like a play where the two leads are Lady MacBeth and Richard III. :lol:

Edit: I don't think I've ever hear the words "Drive safe. There's a lot of ice on the road." sound like a threat before.

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    I don't know.

I'll watch at least a few more episodes but was immediately put off by Spacey's performance, particularly the monologuing directly to the camera. Didn't think the writing was strong enough to carry those moments without making them a bit cringeworthy.
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

By the way, in case you guys didn't know, the BBC original is on Netflix too. It's pretty good. A little more lighthearted, I think.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting ThePlashyBubbler (view post)
    I don't know.

I'll watch at least a few more episodes but was immediately put off by Spacey's performance, particularly the monologuing directly to the camera. Didn't think the writing was strong enough to carry those moments without making them a bit cringeworthy.
    Yeah. The fourth-wall stuff is disconcerting at best. My first reaction was that it was a crutch, and a bad crutch. But it's almost necessary because Spacey's character has no support to play off of. So that was a conscious decision, and in a way I think you could argue it strengthens his lone alpha-wolf status in the audience's eyes.

I agree with you about Spacey's performance. I'm having a hard time getting past the twang. He's got such a great natural register, and the accent seems like a come on.

The material in the first episode was .. okay. I don't think there's anything duller and more dramatically inert than 'draft of Congressional education bill.'

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    in a way I think you could argue it strengthens his lone alpha-wolf status in the audience's eyes.
    I think it's intended to make the audience complicit in his maneuvering.

I really love Kate Mara in this. A problem I could see developing is that most every character can be described in two word phrases: "betrayed congressman," "domineering wife," "upstart reporter," "womanizing congressman." This wouldn't be such a problem if the show didn't seem more concerned with movie the plot along than fleshing these people out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast