Thread: Infinite Jest

Infinite Jest

Started this last week and I know quite a few people here have read this. I'm about 70 pages (and 8 endnote pages) in and have no clue where this is going, if anywhere. I just read a 7 page endnote on the filmography of James Incandenza which was occasionally humorous and borderline obnoxious, which may be the point entirely. It's as if he overwhelms us with superfluous information to show how the world overwhelms us with superfluous information. Or something. I do know that I really dislike flipping from one page to another in the back and breaking my flow. Not sure if any reader enjoys this so I'm also thinking this is an intentionally cruel poke in the ribs by the author in an attempt to prove a point. I'm also pretty fascinated so far and kinda just want to stay home and read this all day.

Wallace seems pretty obsessed with chemicals and modern electronics and tunnels and big words and recreational drugs and nasal sickness. And tennis (but I already knew that from his essays). I'm hoping at some point this "Year of the Tucks medicated pad/depends adult undergarment/etc." soon makes sense. Please tell me that it does. No spoilers please.

I'll keep updating my progress regularly or sporadically.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Venusian Rubbed Moscow sevenarts's Avatar
    Awesome. I adore this book. And yes, it's frustrating and crazy and baffling and also really, really brilliant. There's also a long scene late in the novel that is probably THE most I've ever laughed at a book.

I won't spoil anything, but yes, there's a particular page fairly early on where the "year of..." stuff suddenly makes total sense. When you get to that page, you'll probably want to bookmark it for reference.

Also, the filmography is very important, though it probably won't seem like it for a few hundred more pages.

Two bookmarks really helps with the endnotes, if you're not already doing that.

I'm another who adores this book, and while I may not have thought so as I was reading it, reflecting back on it I sometimes think it's the best goddamn book I've ever read. It certainly seems to pop up in my memories with more frequency than most other books, and, given my penchant for forgetfulness, I'm surprised by how indelibly the book has imprinted itself in my memory as I've only read it once. It's something I keep meaning to revisit, but it's hard to say if I'll ever find the time to.

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    It's as if he overwhelms us with superfluous information to show how the world overwhelms us with superfluous information. Or something.
    I think you're onto something here. The chaotic accumulation of information in the book does become almost intoxicating, but don't expect a ton of plot resolution, so to speak. That's not to say it isn't satisfying.
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

Yeah, I love this, too! I read it last year, and got a bit obsessed with it by the time I finished. But it was a bit frustrating at first. I would describe my enjoyment level like some sort of exponential curve, it was slow-going at first, but once I started to get into it, it just became more and more awesome until it reached sky rocket levels and shit and wow I don't remember math so I'm not sure this metaphor works really but maybe you know what I'm saying. Yet I can see how it can remain frustrating throughout. Definitely use two bookmarks though! I came to really enjoy the endnotes.

I returned it to the library after some 150 pages and will never ever try to read any Wallace again.

I'm up to about page 210 and moving slow, but not because I dislike it. It's just not a quick read and I don't have a lot of time lately. This isn't the type of book that you can read 10 pages per day. I feel like you really need to read it in big chunks, otherwise you forget some things. For example, I just read a very interesting chapter on Tiny Ewell's tattoo obsession while in the recovery house, and I have no idea if I've already encountered this character, or some of the other characters in the Ennet House, either. There's also a ton of characters at the tennis academy and they all kinda blur into one, other than Pemulis. I wish there was some type of index. Maybe there is online somewhere? I could use some help with all the abbreviations, too.

I am really enjoying all the Incandenza storylines and the tennis and drug house stuff. I am thoroughly bored by the Quebec separatist spy plot but I hope it goes somewhere.

So far a pretty great book. I feel like I need a scholarly companion guide as I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of stuff.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

This book is indescribably amazing and actually not difficult to read. I am in awe of Wallace's brilliance. Seriously, in awe.

Just finished a bit on Kate Gompert's psychotic suicidal depression and how unbearable it is for her, and I didn't even think until later that this is the type of pain Wallace tried to endure but couldn't and it really just kinda floored me, how well he describes this character when he's really describing himself. All the characters are detached in various degrees from reality but because the novel has so many comically absurd elements I don't quite get the sense that this writer was such a tortured brilliant mind from its contents alone. About 250 pages to go.

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    This book is indescribably amazing and actually not difficult to read. I am in awe of Wallace's brilliance. Seriously, in awe.

Just finished a bit on Kate Gompert's psychotic suicidal depression and how unbearable it is for her, and I didn't even think until later that this is the type of pain Wallace tried to endure but couldn't and it really just kinda floored me, how well he describes this character when he's really describing himself. All the characters are detached in various degrees from reality but because the novel has so many comically absurd elements I don't quite get the sense that this writer was such a tortured brilliant mind from its contents alone. About 250 pages to go.
    The best book. Love that you're loving it!
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Echoing TPB's sentiment. Glad you're loving it! I was just leafing through it last night for the first time in a while. It just gets more awe-inspiring with time.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.