Thread: The Simpsons

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Any season that has the following:

Simpson and Delilah
    Itchy & Scratchy & Marge
    The Way We Was
    Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
    Brush with Greatness
    Lisa's Substitute (which is Top 3 material)
    Three Men and a Comic Book

Is not a season to be skipped on. The rest of the episodes are good to great also, but the ones above are 4 star episodes.
    I'm not a big fan of many of those episodes. I find that the first two seasons are full of basically MOR sitcom episodes that happen to be animated. It wasn't until the third that the writers really began to establish The Simpsons as its own thing.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Well its clear that the movie was better than the past 10 years of the show. How depressing. But hey at least the film adaption was really funny and awesome.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I'm enjoying this show. We started watching season 3 today (I have only seen a few of the first season and none of the second) but I loved the first two discs of season three.
    My Mom - 10

Yep, watching season 3 with Jen was a lovely, nostalgic experience.

All those old episode that I watched over and over and over as a kid. I still know a lot of the lines.

And Matt Groening's little written blurb inside the packaging of each season is great.

He says "Season 3 makes season 2 look like season 1"
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Season 3 is the shit. Makes the movie look like garbage.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I saw an episode from the latest season, and there was one excellent, excellent scene that showed Homer growing up in a time lapse sequence. It was, dare I say it, quite emotional and well-played. The rest of the episode was kind of meh, though.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Yeh, I've always found The Simpsons could do a good job of making things emotional without being hoaky.

Same with Futurama - "Jurassic Bark" still makes me cry, and I've seen it like 4 times.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I saw an episode from the latest season, and there was one excellent, excellent scene that showed Homer growing up in a time lapse sequence. It was, dare I say it, quite emotional and well-played. The rest of the episode was kind of meh, though.
    Was it the parody of this video?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Was it the parody of this video?

Yep. I think the spell is ruined in The Simpsons with the addition of the animated YouTube "Play this again" screenshot at the end, actually. Without it, it's kinda poignant.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    One day last week, work was slow, so we flipped on the TV in time to watch the second half of "Cape Feare." I pretty much laughed from beginning to end (the elephant march damn near made me cry).

I don't think it's necessarily a shift in the types of jokes that's made the new seasons so much worse, since a lot of the jokes in that episode alternate between broad physical humor and random moments (Homer barging in with a chainsaw and mask). It's just that they're done so much better. The episode really feels effortless.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    i caught this simpsons episode starring michael jackson (john jay smith). it was before the time i came to the states. and i wonder, how wonderful it might have been to live in that period (1991?). when everything looks so innocent, and celebrities are there to be loved and inspire us. and mj was well, relatively sane. :cry:
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Recently, I read Bill Waterson's intro to the latest Calvin and Hobbes anthology, and he writes about why he decided to end it after ten years. Other comic strips have been around for decades and Waterson certainly could have continued doing Calvin and Hobbes, considering its popularity, but strips that last that long pretty much universally end up becoming stale, repetitive and unfunny. While we all miss Calvin and Hobbes, I think we can be grateful that it didn't have any bad years. Matt Groening should take a hint.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Though I agree that The Simpsons should have ended a long time ago, at this point however since it has gone on this long I think it's already passed the decent end. At this point I'd keep it on as long as possible and give it to people who can take it and try to make it funny. Having someone like Bill Odenkirk over it is a good move right now because then The Simpsons can become one of those stepping blocks for people trying to get into the industry and try different things.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    Though I agree that The Simpsons should have ended a long time ago, at this point however since it has gone on this long I think it's already passed the decent end. At this point I'd keep it on as long as possible and give it to people who can take it and try to make it funny. Having someone like Bill Odenkirk over it is a good move right now because then The Simpsons can become one of those stepping blocks for people trying to get into the industry and try different things.
    Yeah, Simpsons is the animated SNL. It's not gonna go away, it's just going to go through cycles and you're just going to see ups and downs. It'll be more interesting to stop looking at it as a continuous show and more like a generational thing.
    Movie Theater Diary

"As Mr. Burns faces the loss of his fortune and worldly belongings, he learns to appreciate lifes simple pleasures like friends and family."

Seriously, what the fuck?

hahaha. yeah, that made me embarassed to be a simpsons fan. aside from burns selling smithers and millhouse saying 'sorry coke' it was awful.

Matt Groening has become what he hated most.
    Movie Theater Diary

Right now I'm trying to work though Season 4. My friend owns many of the seasons out on DVD-I think he has up to Season 8 or 10, I don't really remember. Its interesting to watch the older episodes and marvel at how fresh and original the writing and the jokes truly were back then.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Even though the show is almost always a waste to watch now, there was one I did see recently ("Million Dollar Maybe") that wasn't half bad. The story was pretty standard, and it didn't change up the sort of structure the show has settled into over the years, but it still almost had the feel of a classic episode. The laugh ratio was down a fair bit from that era, but Homer seems to actually have something of a brain again, there were a lot of memorable lines from side-characters, and the ending was very, very sweet.

It shows a lack of originality when this isn't even the first episode title in the last few years to play off of Million Dollar Baby, and if you see any of the alternate lines pitched at Chris Martin in his behind-the-scenes promo, all of the exchanged they didn't go with were shockingly funnier and may just show that something's wrong with the writing overall; but still, the episode held together better than anything I'd seen from them in years.

Edited: some of this didn't make no senses before.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    did no one watch this during the super bowl? I don't understand what the big deal is.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    Even though the show is almost always a waste to watch now, there was one I did see recently ("Million Dollar Maybe") that wasn't half bad. The story was pretty standard, and it didn't change up the sort of structure the show has settled into over the years, but it still almost felt like almost like a classic episode. The laugh ratio down a fair bit, but Homer seems to actually have something of a brain again, there were a lot of memorable lines from side-characters, and the ending was very, very sweet.

It shows a lack of originality when this isn't even the first episode in the last few years to play off of Million Dollar Baby, and if you see any of the alternate lines pitched at Chris Martin in his behind-the-scenes promo, all of the ones they didn't go with were shockingly funnier; but still, the episode held together better than anything I'd seen from them in years.
    Hey, I liked that episode too. I completely agree. Not that funny, but a really classic Simpsons plot with a decent Homer/Marge "awww" ending.
    Movie Theater Diary

I think season 8 may be my favorite season of any show ever.

i'm going through season's 3-9

i'm halfway through season 3 and i'm surprised by how many of my favorite episodes i've seen already and this early

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast