Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies that exist

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I watched that.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I saw Fifty Shades Freed last night. If it wasn't for a pregnancy, BFF fearing her husband was cheating, and an intercourse scene where a butt plug is introduced...

it's a pretty average relationship drama/thriller that exists

The fact they made three of those is mind boggling

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    The fact they made three of those is mind boggling
    Its been out almost three weeks and there were way too many people at the theater imo. ugh. But its not over, they're doing it again from the bland man's perspective.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I loved Superman IV as well, but I had fond memories of seeing it in theater. Years later rewatch was brutal.
    I saw all 4 of the original Superman movies last year. I knew that Quest For Peace is not good, but I kind of like it.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    What did you think of first one? I never played the game but I thought it was enjoyable enough.
    I thought it was more interesting than most people gave it credit for. It had some immediate flaws, but the overall lasting impression has been favorable. Here's my thoughts from shortly after its release, copied from the Warcraft thread:

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    In the deep corners of my heart, I think I was hoping this might be a secret Speed Racer, something great panned as something terrible because everyone's expectations were already set so very low that they didn't bother to pay attention and relished in making all the easy jokes in their newspaper reviews. I'd wager that a lot of people did the same thing with Warcraft--barely paid attention (it's not that hard to follow) and made the easy jokes (lol videogames)--but alas, this is no Speed Racer. However, it's even further, I think, from being Battlefield Earth.

I agree with those here who say it could have used some more time to pad these characters out. The main cast all have something of an interesting story that is pretty well outlined, but it's only ever a little more than outlined. It would benefit from more hang out time, let the characters feel more lived-in. This is, by the way, a complaint I think I have about very nearly every major blockbuster-like film I've seen in the last five years. And some scenes do seem to cut way too abruptly.

Unfortunately, some of the cast don't quite carry their weight. Ben Foster's character and his assistant both feel like they're either about to fall asleep or start acting in a stoner comedy (Foster has a couple of good minutes, too, to be fair). The human protagonist, Lothar, is pretty charismatic, and plays the character with a shagginess and world-weariness that gives the film a lot more levity than it might under another's performance. The young wizard Khadgar has a boyish earnestness that somehow never quite seems to gel with what his character's actually about, though on paper it seems close.

Personally, I'd like to see a follow-up that carries this vision forward. I'm not sure I like the idea of Duncan Jones being tied up in Azeroth for the next ten years, but it seems to me he has something very specific that he is trying to get across, and I think there's potential for a sequel in the same voice to make this into a really compelling saga. The film's best moments (between characters, as they explore their relationships with one another)

I'm not a complete novice to this world, I should note. I used to really enjoy Warcraft II, stared at the illustrations in the WC2 manual for hours on end as a teenager, and have played a bit of Warcraft III. But the memory of the games' stories have faded a lot and this particular story is not something I can remember reading.

The effects, with the exception of the griffin (which looks like it could've been rendered on my PS4), look pretty amazing, too. The visual design is so distinctive and gaudy in both Alliance and Horde factions, and it gives the film a real unique personality. One thing I've always been impressed with in Blizzard's Warcraft games is how colorful they make their fantasy world, and that's marvelously realized here. Almost everything feels tactile in a way that a lot of other special effects-generated fantasy worlds have failed to, I feel. And the CG on the orcs, in particular, is stunning. Durotan is wonderfully expressive, and his weight feels genuine. The over-the-top visual design of everything probably helps these computer-generated cartoons interact with the human characters more convincingly, but they are truly an accomplishment.

I'm reminded of the other truly impressive CG accomplishment this summer (and the other summer tentpole I've bothered to go see), Favreau's The Jungle Book. Both are made by teams that are perhaps too reverential toward their source material. There's something very different in how that reverence is performed, though. I have somehwere I might go with this thought, but it's a little flimsy right now, so I'll leave it there for the time being. So now I'll just say that when I left The Jungle Book, I was mostly thinking about the visual marvels. When I left Warcraft, I was mostly thinking about the characters.

(By the way, Ramin Djawadi's score is pretty good if a little repetitive. I kept expecting the score to give way to the song from Warcraft II's title screen, since it seemed to be gesturing in that direction. Alas.)

Yeah, I agree!

- - - - -

This needs to be seen to be believed: Michael Caine as a quasi-Castro dictator opposite Katie Holmes and some teen starlet.

- - - - -

^ Count the Oscar winners in this poster! Win a prize! Out on DVD sometime in April!

(Also, I think the designer was trying to set a record for how many disembodied, photoshopped heads someone could wedge into a single poster.)

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    This needs to be seen to be believed: Michael Caine as a quasi-Castro dictator opposite Katie Holmes and some teen starlet.
    That's the popular girl from Lady Bird... and you forgot the whatshisname from American Pie playing a teacher.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

^ Count the Oscar winners in this poster! Win a prize! Out on DVD sometime in April!

(Also, I think the designer was trying to set a record for how many disembodied, photoshopped heads someone could wedge into a single poster.)
    It is probably the worst poster of all time.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Nic Cage is the king of this thread.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I'm for anything that keeps cash going to that man's pockets.

What the hell was that?

Eh, that looks pretty appealing to me, actually. Like those Mad Max rip-offs from the 1980s but with a bigger budget and charismatic actors.

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been more movies based around that famous LA bank robbery.

Wut?

Its now on Netflix. Looks terrible.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast