View Poll Results: Killing Them Softly (Andrew Dominik)

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

26 78.79%
  • Nay

7 21.21%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Killing Them Softly (Andrew Dominik)

72/100

A shark, one direction, a taste for blood and no pissing around with niceties. Most of the directorial affectations are aesthetically pleasing (the car hit) and of a piece with the themes - did you notice them? -of the film (the opening credits; the blatantly on-the-nose music queues), though I could have done without the first person perspective view of heroin use. Brad Pitt is merciless professionalism personified.

A rewatch may reveal extra layers now that the masters thesis is out in the open; one of those rare films where that could happen sooner rather than later.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    How droll.

I don't know guys. Dominik lets his ideas get in the way of his story I think. When Dominik wants to truly direct, he'll direct the hell out of a scene. But when he wants to make a point, it's very monotonous. Gandolfini sells it the best with his vitriol and body language. But it gets captured in its ideals. I mean, I think they only call out the actual Election footage once, but it plays in almost every car and bar. With the types of gangsters at hand, that's already pushing it a little much.

It starts off with an amazing credit sequence. I really liked the use of sound with the title cards.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Did anyone else think the final line:

[
    ]

was kind of ripped from Goodfellas' "Fuck You. Pay me." voice over? Maybe it's just Ray Liotta's presence that made me think of that, but the more I think about this movie, this less I like it.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Maybe it's just Ray Liotta's presence that made me think of that, but the more I think about this movie, this less I like it.
    The reverse for me.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Did anyone else think the final line:

[
    ]

was kind of ripped from Goodfellas' "Fuck You. Pay me." voice over? Maybe it's just Ray Liotta's presence that made me think of that, but the more I think about this movie, this less I like it.
    Didn't think about it. The only time I had a Scorsese reference was when Liotta got mugged and there was a voiceover going on at the same time.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yay, but marginally.

I think I loved the final scene so much that it made me forgive that the film is at times so slow and languid that it becomes unwatchable. James Gandolfini rants on about his experiences with whores and his relationship with his wife for years.

I thought this was a great film, but that at times it didn't go far enough. Particularly with the political aspects and the violence. Still it was brutal and nasty enough to have meaning, and Brad Pitt turns in another fantastic performance. The dark comedy moments were a little on the Coen Brothers side, but not enough to be distracting-in fact I enjoyed them. Loved that final scene, too-and yeah I think that the line "Now fucking pay me" was a homage to that line from Godfellas.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

All the Bush/Obama stuff was incredibly belaboured and certain stylistic choices were also too on the nose. All in all though a very well acted and written crime film. It's nice to have a small self-contained genre exercise once in a while. I grow weary of these crime pictures which attempt to cover an entire life.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I will say I was kind of reminded of two crime movies: Slayground from the 80s and The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973). In terms of desperate criminals trying to survive in a harsh environment, anyways.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

The Friends of Eddie Coyle and this one are based on novels by the same author, George Higgins. Never read anything by him but he sounds cool.

This film kind of grew favorably on my memory since I watched it the first time. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Really liked this.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

It seems to me a pretty clear case of strained significance: Pointing out the parallels between the criminal underworld and Wall Street might've been a cute touch if mentioned in passing, but they just keep hammering this same point over and over.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I appreciated its diminished scale and the fact that it didn't weigh down its plot with too many intricacies. I wish there were more self-contained crime films that aimed smaller like this. Having read The Friends of Eddie Coyle, I think Dominik does pretty well at capturing the spirit of George Higgins' non-glamorized lowlifes. The film opens well, and I thought the overt politicizing was actually an inspired touch. I just wish something more interesting happened after the film's central heist. The film's excellent closing scene is worthy of a better told story.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Also I just thought about how Roger Ebert's harsh review of this film where he bashed the hell out of it was one of the last reviews he wrote.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    The Friends of Eddie Coyle and this one are based on novels by the same author, George Higgins. Never read anything by him but he sounds cool.
    The Friends of Eddie Coyle is pretty amazing. It's told almost entirely through dialogue so the reader has to infer a lot based on context (such as the identity of the "spokesman" during the robbery scenes).
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12