Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday / Cyber Monday Stuff

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Haha c'mon guys.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Yeah, no way I'd buy a 60Hz TV. It's such a distraction when watching sports.
    For a bathroom, I agree. You won't be watching films there. But 120Hz and its motion interpolation for 24fps films still looks godawful.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Haha c'mon guys.
    So, you're joking?

I was exaggerating with the bathroom. I don't know where I'm putting it. I already have a 55 Inch slim LED 3D TV in my Living room. A 40 Inch in my bedroom. A 37 inch in my guest room. Maybe it will be my temp TV during football season so I can watch Red Zone and the Pats at the same time.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Was safer to say that it was going in the bathroom...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I watch my TV on one TV.

Isn't that fucking crazy?!
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    But 120Hz and its motion interpolation for 24fps films still looks godawful.
    This. I'm still not ready to accept "looks like a soap opera" as the new standard for high-end video. Films look like such shit on 120Hz TVs.

I know there were people intereted in 3D. VIZIO 47” Class 1080p 120Hz LCD Smart TV with Theater 3D $599

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Was safer to say that it was going in the bathroom...
    Its only 17 weeks out of the year. :-D

Director

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    But 120Hz and its motion interpolation for 24fps films still looks godawful.
    Yep. I wouldn't take a 120Hz television for any price. Everything on them looks like cheap crappy Spanish soap operas.

Yep. I wouldn't take a 120Hz television for any price. Everything on them looks like cheap crappy Spanish soap operas.
    Until you pop in Prometheus on Blu-ray and immediately take back that entire statement.

Until you pop in Prometheus on Blu-ray and immediately take back that entire statement.
    I'll never own a Blu-ray, so I'll have to take your word for it.

I'll never own a Blu-ray, so I'll have to take your word for it.
    I wish I had that kind of self control. I wish I could skip this gen's format and go to the next wave (streaming, 4D, whatever). Alas, I have a small collection compared to what I used to do with DVD. There's just some titles I couldn't resist. Prometheus being one of them.

I wish I had that kind of self control. I wish I could skip this gen's format and go to the next wave (streaming, 4D, whatever). Alas, I have a small collection compared to what I used to do with DVD. There's just some titles I couldn't resist. Prometheus being one of them.
    When DVD came out, I said that it would be the last form of physical media I buy (re: video, I'll still buy video games on new formats). Sticking to it. I'm not doing it out of some principle or anything (I'll never be one of those "I don't even own a TV!" guys). I just don't want so much clutter in my house.

I hear ya. Before DVDSpot went down I had over 500 DVDs. I donated most of my collection to my library- the ones that no one wanted from my pruning thread here on MC. I don't want to keep having to buy my favorite movies on new formats every time there's a tech change. There's a few I fall victim to; Indiana Jones, Matrix, the Godfather Trilogy and most recently Lord of the Rings.

I've been to Best Buy. No. It looks like someone spilled car wax on a piece of shit.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Looks like they might really do it.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/artic...st-4046502.php

Throughout high school and first year of college, I worked at Meijer, then Walmart, then Target and I can vouch for the fact that they do not give anyone a choice to work Black Friday. Everybody works it without exception. I'm not surprised they are instituting the same policy now that Walmart is opening on Thanksgiving evening. I'd be pissed too. Every year they push the hours earlier. Opening at midnight and allowing people to queue up in store for the 5 am sales seemed decent enough to avoid dangerous stampedes, they don't need to bleed earlier into the holiday.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Yeah, no way I'd buy a 60Hz TV. It's such a distraction when watching sports.
    Is there a big difference? I've only ever had 60hz so maybe its just being uninformed, but I've never had any problems with it, even when watching sports.

I've got about 48 hrs to figure out what I want to do, TV wise. I need to have a definite decision made before Thursday evening so I know whether I'm going to brave Best Buy at midnight or not.

I am looking forward to it being over just so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I have a cheap 42-inch 120hz TV that looks great once you turn off the smooth motion effect, as well as the rest of the filters and crap that are on by default out of the box. It doesn't look like a soap opera anymore, very crisp.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I think it's more of an eye adjustment issue. When I first got my HDTV I was alarmed at how much it looked like a soap opera. Didn't take long for the image to start looking beautifully clear and crisp. I can't watch TV any other way now, otherwise it all looks blurry and pixelated now if it's not in HD and at least 120Hz. Retrospectively I thought maybe it was because of some of the same adjustments Rowland mentioned but I had a friend over who just watches a standard definition 27 inch and she would not shut up about how much it looked like a soap opera. To me it was a perfect image but to her it was distracting as hell.

Point is, I think there's a period of adjustment if you aren't used to that kind of definition in your television but you get used to it quickly and when you do, whoa boy is it a gorgeous thing to behold. I'm in love with my television. In love I say.

i despise my friend's 120hz tv. 60hz looks great to me.

Motion interpolation is a crime on par with pan & scan, colorization and the Star Wars Special Editions. There can be no discussion.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Went to Wal-Mart tonight and got a $300 table tennis set for $65, as well as the PS3 game Dishonored for $25. The line was a bitch, but otherwise I was pleasantly surprised at the orderly and polite crowd.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast