View Poll Results: Looper (Rian Johnson)

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

61 95.31%
  • Nay

3 4.69%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looper (Rian Johnson)

Masterful craft in support of a pretty strong story. The goings-on are constantly engaging, but it's the sensory experience that shines above all else. Well framed, cut, recorded and dressed. It's a pretty cool movie, even if there are some dubious narrative and stylistic choices at the end.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Qrazy's write up makes me want to hate it. It's the same continuity problems that made me hate Source Code.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Loved this. Smart, engagin sci-fi that made me think of Philip K. Dick more than ones. Rian Johnson has top credibility as far as I'm concerned.

I know there are plot holes (hell, the movie even acknowledges it with angry Bruce Willis in the diner scene) but about the only one that bothered me during my viewing was how could Old Joe kick Young Joe in the nuts and not feel the pain on himself.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Loved this. Smart, engagin sci-fi that made me think of Philip K. Dick more than ones. Rian Johnson has top credibility as far as I'm concerned.

I know there are plot holes (hell, the movie even acknowledges it with angry Bruce Willis in the diner scene) but about the only one that bothered me during my viewing was how could Old Joe kick Young Joe in the nuts and not feel the pain on himself.
    The pain happened, but there wasn't long-lasting effects that trickled down to him later, I'm guessing?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    The pain happened, but there wasn't long-lasting effects that trickled down to him later, I'm guessing?
    Yeah, I mean it's decades later.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Yeah, you guys are right. All the other injuries are permanent.

That first scene with the disappearing body parts is damn awesome.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    This gets a mild yay from me, but what a squandered opportunity. The set up of Willis acquiring new memories as JGL navigates a changing present timeline, and having to work around JGL, simultaneously helping and avoiding him was the best part of the film (topped off with that great diner scene). I mean, the idea of having to help your past self while staying far enough away because that same self is tasked with killing you is just so fascinating, and then it's immediately abandoned, and the two selfs are separated for the remainder of the running time. What a head-scratching decision. The farm scenes had moments, but brought a tense, wild film to a near screeching halt. Really disappointing.

Sin 14 is a fantastic continuity issue.

[youtube]XwDbqhl_p3g[/youtube]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Some of those are pretty damn stupid. JGL is the poor man's Shia LaBouf? I'm guessing this guy is some nerd who just now stumbled across "that guy from Third Rock and Batman." Plus all the "this is the best blahblah we could come up with in 40 years?" stuff seems self-evident that the future is neither dystopia or utopia, merely a conflation of the two (which seems pretty realistic.)

And I wasn't even that big into the movie myself.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Some of those are pretty damn stupid. JGL is the poor man's Shia LaBouf? I'm guessing this guy is some nerd who just now stumbled across "that guy from Third Rock and Batman." Plus all the "this is the best blahblah we could come up with in 40 years?" stuff seems self-evident that the future is neither dystopia or utopia, merely a conflation of the two (which seems pretty realistic.)

And I wasn't even that big into the movie myself.
    I agree some of them are really bad, but this comment was in reference to Paul Dano, not JGL.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I agree some of them are really bad, but this comment was in reference to Paul Dano, not JGL.
    Oh right. Forgot he was in this.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

I feel sad for the man that took the time to make that video. He leads an unhappy life.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I assume that's tongue-in-cheek, since he does it for so many films, but I'm growing weary of the RedLetterMedia-inspired movement to catalogue all the minutiae of event movies.

Presumably he does it because people like you all watch it therefore giving him a shit ton of hits and thus, money.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I really thought the ending was going to be that...

[
    ]

I saw this when it was released in theaters and I have to say... even after all of this time to reflect, I honestly can't fathom why this movie is receiving so much praise.

The plot of the movie is based on a ridiculously stupid idea, which boils down to bad writing. It's not that the film fails to be entertaining (I thought it was decent) but it's poorly constructed and really kind of dumb. Things happen simply to play with the time travel story device, but are impractical upon examination.

Again, I didn't dislike the film. I just find the level of praise to be a bit baffling, considering how glaring its flaws are.

Quote Quoting The Bad Guy (view post)
    I saw this when it was released in theaters and I have to say... even after all of this time to reflect, I honestly can't fathom why this movie is receiving so much praise.

The plot of the movie is based on a ridiculously stupid idea, which boils down to bad writing. It's not that the film fails to be entertaining (I thought it was decent) but it's poorly constructed and really kind of dumb. Things happen simply to play with the time travel story device, but are impractical upon examination.

Again, I didn't dislike the film. I just find the level of praise to be a bit baffling, considering how glaring its flaws are.
    Agreed. Too many 5 star ratings.

I gave it 5 stars right after seeing it, but I just lowered it to 4. I still think it's a very good movie, but I agree with those that said it takes a nosedive in the third act. The whole thing with the kid really brings down the movie for me, even moreso upon reflection. Everything without said kid and with JGL and Willis is great, though.
    Fruitvale Station (Ryan Coogler) - ***
    The World's End (Edgar Wright) - ***

Hmm, I guess I'm in the minority here. A mild nay. If you're going to do a serious time travel film you need to put a little more thought into it or make it more interesting than this. Was surprised to see the overwhelming positive votes on this after I voted.

P.S. Also was disappointed to find out that the kid wasn't Joe's sent back in time.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting The Bad Guy (view post)

A few things to consider, all speculative:

- Even the most casual blogger sees pure shit, multiple times a week, every week, 52 times a year. Whenever a movie doesn't slide into deeply stupid and obvious territory, that alone accounts for an extra half-star or a more enthusiastic thumbs up.

- "Looper" was released in the latter half of 2012. Every other science fiction release previous to it was either disappointing ("Prometheus") or a colossal failure ("Lockout", "Total Recall"). Despite its faults, "Looper" didn't totally shit-the-bed (this is my new favorite phrase) and hence, got heaps of praise.

My thoughts are similar to yours. "Looper's" failures can described as setting up a brilliant premise -- a man driven to kill his future self out of his own self-preservation -- and then almost totally ignoring that premise (MOAR FARMHOUSE, shouts Rian).

Producer
    First watch was in theater with Thai subtitle (that I fully relied on because of the film's fast-paced time-travel twistiness), so this time I appreciate its terse, hard-boiled dialogue a lot more. Still a fan of how the gearshift of bigger-picture sci-fi premise into human-drama moral specificity is not only reflected in its unexpected location change in the second half, but also in the use of time-travel itself: that trope starts as thrilling ping-pong of cause-and-effect plot mechanics (the use of Paul Dano in that regard is still gruesomely memorable) before narrows down into engrossing, complex self-examination, between agonizing over your past self's carefree disregard on life choices and recognizing your future self's increasingly unacceptable failings. 8/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Its a horror film, imo.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234