View Poll Results: Dredd 3D (Pete Travis)

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

24 63.16%
  • Nay

14 36.84%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dredd 3D (Pete Travis)

Aside from one minor moment that irked me a bit ("Wait."), I enjoyed this quite a bit.

I liked this film. Its a solid, simplistic action movie that's well made and is entertaining, which sometimes is all you really need. Also I would love it if they made a sequel.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I started writing a long-ass article about the Judge Dredd comics and realized that it's just way too long, so I've split it up into two parts.

Here's the first part, comparing the two films.

http://www.artboiled.com/2012/inspir...ty-and-satire/

The second part is going to be mostly focused on the comics and the politics of it. I'll finish it up tomorrow.
    I just read the first part. Got a link to the second part? Great piece, even though I liked Dredd way more than the Stallone version, of course. And I will admit that I have not read any of the comics.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I was gonna time it with the DVD release and dropped the ball. I'll finish it at some point. :cry:
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I still really like this one. Some of the most fun I had with a movie from 2012.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I was gonna time it with the DVD release and dropped the ball. I'll finish it at some point. :cry:
    You should, man. I'll read it!
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I forgot to rate this, apparently. Anyway, I enjoyed it. Would love to see a Dredd movie in this style where it isn't confined to a building. Understand why in this film, but would like to see these filmmakers without budgetary constraints.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    So Judge Dredd was on showtime last night and I was blown away, at how good it looked. Was it remastered recently? It Didn't look like a movie from 1995 at all.

Anyway, just a quick shout out to Judge Dredd. I enjoyed it way more than this movie.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So Judge Dredd was on showtime last night and I was blown away, at how good it looked. Was it remastered recently? It Didn't look like a movie from 1995 at all.

Anyway, just a quick shout out to Judge Dredd. I enjoyed it way more than this movie.
    There was a blu-ray that got good reviews. The score by Alan Silvestri kicks ass.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    This film lacks any hint of humanity, with all the main characters tiresome steely-eyed plot robots with faces stuck on "grimace." But the flick carries an appreciable retro action film charm with its grotesque violence, fascist wish-fulfillment, and - thank God - brevity. I'm on the fence with this one.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    This film lacks any hint of humanity, with all the main characters tiresome steely-eyed plot robots with faces stuck on "grimace." But the flick carries an appreciable retro action film charm with its grotesque violence, fascist wish-fulfillment, and - thank God - brevity. I'm on the fence with this one.

I know, it was freaking great right?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I know, it was freaking great right?
    It also punted on the idea of psychic mind-battles, which should've come back in a big way in the finale.

Weapon of MAX Destruction max314's Avatar
    This film lacks any hint of humanity, with all the main characters tiresome steely-eyed plot robots with faces stuck on "grimace."
    The whole point of the film is to portray a world that is so unrelentingly brutal that a narcotic such as Slo-Mo is the only source of respite to its citizenry.

That said, the film is infused with a dark and dry sense of humour, and satisfying character relationships that never cross the line into sentimentality. The filmmakers have tightly controlled the tone of the film whilst never letting it settle into a sense of monotony.

It really is a perfectly pitched piece of action entertainment.

It also punted on the idea of psychic mind-battles, which should've come back in a big way in the finale.
    I don't know about "mind-battles" per se – Anderson's skill shows it would be a pretty one-sided battle for anyone foolish and/or desperate enough to challenge her to a duel – but Anderson's mind reading abilities do play a pivotal role at multiple points in the movie, including during the finalé.
    MAX
    Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

Quote Quoting max314 (view post)
    The whole point of the film is to portray a world that is so unrelentingly brutal that a narcotic such as Slo-Mo is the only source of respite to its citizenry.
    Is it? Who do we see use slow-mo beyond two people, one of whom is the lead antagonist? The majority of the citizenry are simply living regular lives and occasionally locking their doors. There's little evidence that slow-mo is an epidemic beyond the movie insisting that it is.

The point seems more to produce another post-apoc frontier setting as a means of deploying the cathartic satisfaction of harsh justice. Future Death Wish, or Robocop without as much self-awareness.

The filmmakers have tightly controlled the tone of the film
    Agreed.

whilst never letting it settle into a sense of monotony.
    Disagreed. One example: Dredd gets shot in dramatic fashion late in the picture. This could provide an opportunity for - at the least - some revised method of beating the villains at the end. Forget any sort of emotional or psychological adjustment. That's not the way Dredd is. But how about tactical? Bullet flew through his chest. Severe. Great way to amp the stakes. What does he do now? How does he adapt? Well, he doesn't. He applies magic gel and auto-stitches, and he's back to acting exactly the same.

I don't know about "mind-battles" per se – Anderson's skill shows it would be a pretty one-sided battle for anyone foolish and/or desperate enough to challenge her to a duel – but Anderson's mind reading abilities do play a pivotal role at multiple points in the movie, including during the finalé.
    Sure, her mind-reading factors in, but the battle between her and Harris's character is a standout bit of psychedelia, and it would've been much more interesting, during the climax, to see her go up against someone who could fight back.

Weapon of MAX Destruction max314's Avatar
    There's little evidence that slow-mo is an epidemic beyond the movie insisting that it is.
    True. But I don't think it's necessary to see swathes of people taking the substance for us to be convinced of its popularity.

Future Death Wish, or Robocop without as much self-awareness.
    Oh, I think it's plenty self-aware.

Bullet flew through his chest. Severe. Great way to amp the stakes. What does he do now? How does he adapt? Well, he doesn't. He applies magic gel and auto-stitches, and he's back to acting exactly the same.
    If "exactly the same" means "badass", then yes.

But this doesn't equate to monotony. There is humour, there is tenderness, there is depth, and there is an implied world beyond the one we see – but none of it serves to compromise the primary tone of this violent fever dream of a film that allows us to share with Dredd what is "behind the control".

...it would've been much more interesting, during the climax, to see her go up against someone who could fight back.
    And who could fight back? Another psychic, perhaps? That'd be cool.

But Anderson's uniqueness as a psychic is reiterated many times throughout the film. I don't think there are many of them around.
    MAX
    Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

Watched this again the other night.

Anyone else find this movie looks and feels like something made in 1995?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Watched this again the other night.

Anyone else find this movie looks and feels like something made in 1995?
    Yep - mentioned that in my brief thoughts. Total throw back, and I loved how barebones the set-up is. Pretty great little movie.

Bought the 3d blu-ray today for cheap. Look forward to it.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

The Stallone version is funner than this new one. I found this one a bit of a grind to sit though as it's rather monotonous and devoid of tension, despite a premise which seems to suggest, uh, well, I suppose a tense situation. It's a solid example of low-budget filmmaking done right I feel, but there wasn't much there beyond splat splat splat.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

- - - - -
    Karl Urban claims that Alex Garland ("Ex Machina," "Annihilation") actually directed "Dredd."

Which.. wait, what?!

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exc-...ising-role-329

http://thequietus.com/articles/24227...n-alex-garland

I dont understand. Why is that a secret?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That... actually makes a whole lot more sense.

Oh ok. It's basically saying that Urban turned to Garland for direction instead of Travis. Which is kind of neat since now we can say that Garland, wrote, produced, directed and edited this film.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast