Page 40 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 4201

Thread: Celeb (and Celeb SO's) Obit Thread

I mean, I knew he was sick, but I'm still surprised.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Pancreatic cancer is, unfortunately, an almost guaranteed death sentence.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Pancreatic cancer is, unfortunately, an almost guaranteed death sentence.
    For some reason, I thought he had something long-term but less deadly. Like lupus. Yeah, pancreatic cancer is really bad stuff.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Are you being served was one of my first tv shows.

I am so amazed at how Jobs has died and we all know with in half an hour. Mind bending how the internet is.

Charles Napier was a great character actor. I liked him a lot in Rambo II, but also in Silence of the Lambs. I also recall seeing him a Russ Meyer flick.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

The Oatmeal has taken down all its front page and only has a sad face on an old Macintosh logo. If you click on it, it takes you directly to the donation page of The American Cancer Society. That's really cool.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I'm kind of disgusted by how many people on the Internet are trying to out-not-give-a-fuck or fuck-that-dead-billionaire each other. I mean, I don't know that much about Steve Jobs, really. And I guess that's what the Internet just does. But he always struck me as a decent human being, really bright, with some good ideas about how to live life to the full. And he died at 56, which is always sad.

Onion obituary

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I'm kind of disgusted by how many people on the Internet are trying to out-not-give-a-fuck or fuck-that-dead-billionaire each other.
    I'm not seeing this, but I'm not surprised. I don't have much experience with Apple (I have an iPod I bought about six years ago, and that's the only product of theirs I've ever purchased) but surely we can agree that the man was innovative and brilliant, and that 56 is too young to die?

Also, Pixar.

PIXAR.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I'm actually disgusted at the overwhelming schmaltz in many, if not most, posts about his death. I've been trying to get away from it all day, and haven't really seen any negative comments on any medium. One can't dispute the man's qualities, but if someone were to drop in from another planet today, they'd get the impression that the most important person in all of history has died.

Director
    They have factories in CHINA? Well fuck that dead guy.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I'm actually disgusted at the overwhelming schmaltz in many, if not most, posts about his death. I've been trying to get away from it all day, and haven't really seen any negative comments on any medium. One can't dispute the man's qualities, but if someone were to drop in from another planet today, they'd get the impression that the most important person in all of history has
    People react to death in strange ways.

As for Jobs, he was immensely important to American culture. He touched a lot of lives and influenced a lot of people. He took stuff that was potentially obtuse and boring and made it fun. On top of that, the stories around his personal and professional life are nothing short of amazing. They play into our mythology about self reliance, pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, and continual reinvention supported by large doses of optimism. He was a modern Horatio Alger story, several times over, that ended far too soon.

An American who was enormously influential in technology -- one industry where the US still manages to dominate -- has died. Of course it's going to be a big news story. He was also a pop culture figure. Of course people are going to react strongly to his death.

On a personal note, I didn't get it when Cobain or Diana died, but I was smart enough to keep my mouth shut. Now I get it.

You're a clod for posting this today.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    On a personal note, I didn't get it when Cobain or Diana died, but I was smart enough to keep my mouth shut. Now I get it.

You're a clod for posting this today.
    I never said anything disrespectful, not here, not anywhere else. If you wish to read it as such, you're the clod, not me.

You guys...

iCarumba.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

You didn't "get it" when Cobain or Diana because you were probably, what, eight? ten? Unless you're way older than I have been assuming.

And ETM is right: it is confusing that so many would wring their emotions over a man they've never met, whose existence they had been made aware of through headlines and millionaire lists. Sad that he's dead, but people die. Nobody has to be called a clod.

iRip

Death has always been a strange thing to me. I don't often get my own feelings on it so I always find it odd when someone criticizes someone else on their own feelings on death. I often just shut up during someone's death specifically because I don't have any feelings one way or another. I didn't say anything during Amy Winehouse's death simply because I didn't feel anything. I don't think I'm a cold and callous person since I do feel during certain deaths whether I knew them personally (Bill Chinnook) or I had followed their work for a long while (Randy Savage). With Steve Jobs even though I use apple products I've felt nothing during his death about his death specifically. I'm sad at the concept of death and hurt for the family involved but I have a hard time getting angry at other's reactions simply because my own actions aren't normal either.

I'm actually disgusted at the overwhelming schmaltz in many, if not most, posts about his death. I've been trying to get away from it all day, and haven't really seen any negative comments on any medium. One can't dispute the man's qualities, but if someone were to drop in from another planet today, they'd get the impression that the most important person in all of history has died.
    Everyone deals with death their own way, and each death touches a person in a different way, sometimes in a way they were not even expecting.

There are a lot of people who I've never met, and most of the time hearing about their deaths gives me an expected general sadness, but nothing more.

Sometimes, though, the news affects me greatly. And sometimes, the way it affects me also surprises me. Either way, its the way I deal with it. I don't think its fair to put expectations on anyone when it comes to how they react to death, regardless of whether they've met the person or not.

I only mentioned the clearly over-the-top tributes and comments here because I haven't seen anyone here do it. Same goes for every comparable case in the past. It's not about how people express their feelings on death, it's about the "me too" syndrome, and the urge to top others in these cases. It's about people on my local forums, not Stephen Fry, who is about the biggest Apple believer and knew Jobs in person.

- - - - -
    I never said anything disrespectful, not here, not anywhere else. If you wish to read it as such, you're the clod, not me.
    Saying that you're disgusted by people's reactions and implying Job's doesn't deserve this level of accolade is disrespectful and insensitive.

I get that you don't feel the same way. That's fine. But to criticize other people for expressing grief less than 24 hours after the man died is churlish and tactless without reason.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Saying that you're disgusted by people's reactions and implying Job's doesn't deserve this level of accolade is disrespectful and insensitive.
    By SOME people's reactions, and NO ONE deserves this level of accolade.
    Well, I can actually think of a few people throughout history, but over the top is over the top no matter how "insensitive" you may find someone commenting on it.

Peter Serafinowicz just made a mild joke on Twitter, and someone's sarcastic reply put it best:

"my uncle had a mac, you insensitive bastard"

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    The Oatmeal has taken down all its front page and only has a sad face on an old Macintosh logo. If you click on it, it takes you directly to the donation page of The American Cancer Society. That's really cool.
    i thought this post was about the quaker oatmeal logo

you have no idea how disappointed i was

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    i thought this post was about the quaker oatmeal logo

you have no idea how disappointed i was
    Ditto.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Ditto.
    Also, I've seen nothing negative about Steve Jobs' death, and the Onion article is the only thing that has made some type of comedy out of it, but at others' expense, not Apple or him. Kind of surprises me actually.

Guess he may be the biggest innovator of our time?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter