Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the Cord

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I was all set to give my mom my Apple TV before the HBO deal happened. If you're not ingrained in the Apple devices then the Roku is a better bet because it does a lot more and has loads more apps.

And to confirm DavidSeven's point Apple TV doesn't support Amazon Prime if you care about that stuff.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

We just have a Netflix streaming (on a variety of devices including PS4 and Roku), Amazon Prime, and now HBO Now on my iPad (hopefully it comes to the PS4 real soon).

Frontier fiber service for internet - $48 a month.

I hope I can go the rest of my life without ever having Comcast again.

Non-Apple user, love my Rokus. More free stuff than I could ever hope to get to.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Wow really about Comcast? Comcast is your best option there. I haven't had a single problem with them. Compared to verizon Fios they are light-years ahead of them and DirectTv is your worst option.

I don't have any input on AppleTv, but I doubt you need both, with the one exception being HBOgo standalone which I think is still Apple exclusive? The Roku will do pretty much everything you need it to do.
    This is a little odd coming from you since the genesis of this thread was you complaining about Comcast and considering canceling your service.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'll go with the Roku, though now there are 3 different versions which...why? I have multiple Apple devices but I do not buy a lot of content on them other than music from iTunes. So I don't think that would be exceedingly beneficial for me.

Also, sad to see that this: https://www.aereo.com

I got an HD antenna yesterday and am loving it so far. The picture is gorgeous and Atlanta has some TV station called Buzzr that just shows old episodes of game shows like Super Password and Press Your Luck. It's delightful.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    True but my problems with comcast were the price. I never had a technical issue with them. Once you learn how to negotiate with them, you can get anything you want from Comcast at a very reasonable price. I never paid over $140/month for HBO, RedZone, 3 DVRs, 100 MB internet, phone.
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 06-30-2015 at 08:30 PM.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

OK so basically my plan is to have the following: PS3, Roku 2, HD antenna. I already have subscriptions to Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu Plus (though that's new and I'm not sure I'll keep it). I'll be getting HBO Now, assuming it goes beyond Apple TV this month as expected.

I assume a 6 mpbs speed is sufficient for streaming? Or 18? I don't really care about movie downloading speed; I'll only be streaming.

6 Should be fine.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Is that a good antenna, Duke?

I want to get one for XFiles next year.

It's one of the more popular ones but I dont have any direct experience with it. I think 8 has one.

I have the non amplified version and it's decent.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

So I heard Pluto Tv is launching a Roku channel soon so I thought I'd check out their site. HOLY SHIT is this a lot of content! This is cord cutters dream!

Playstation Vue goes Nationwide today.

AMC, ESPN, Comedy Central, Cartoon Network

7-day free trial. And here are the tiers

Access Slim: 55+ channels, including live cable TV, movies, and sports channels for $29.99 per month.
    Core Slim: 70+ channels, including all the channels from Access Slim with the addition of national and regional sports networks for $34.99 per month.
    Elite Slim: 100+ channels, featuring all the channels from Core Slim with the addition of more top movie and entertainment channels for $44.99 per month.

Features:
    Cloud DVR — PlayStation Vue’s unmatched cloud DVR allows users to record hundreds of shows at once and store thousands of hours of content.
    Simultaneous Streaming — a single PlayStation Vue subscription allows users to simultaneously stream content across different devices.
    Powerful Interface — this seamlessly blends live and on-demand content to put top programming front and center, with innovative search and discovery tools. You can also “catch up” on many popular programming within the past three days from a show’s first live airing.

You can access PlayStation Vue through PS4, PS3, Amazon Fire TV, and Fire TV Stick, as well as iPad and iPhone through the PlayStation Vue mobile app. Google Chromecast is also supported via compatible iOS devices.

New (to me) Roku channel: CW Seed. Full seasons of Constantine, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, 90s Flash...couple DC animated films too.

- - - - -
    CW just finalized their Netflix deal too -- shows will be available 8 days after the season ends.

Anyone have any experience with Playstation Vue? Thinking about giving it a shot. Time Warner just costs too much.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Started a 7 day trial with it. Seems decent so far.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Started a 7 day trial with it. Seems decent so far.
    It's tempting. The only downside I can really see is the 28 day cap on saving "DVR'd" shows. Sometimes I can't get to everything that quickly!
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Vudu now has "Movies On Us", a nice selection of free to watch movies with a few ads. Not sure how long this has been going on, but I like some of their lineup!

- - - - -
    Got overwhelmed after signing up for one too many streaming services -- Netflix, Shudder, FilmStruck, SlingTV.

So I cancelled everything else & signed up for Mubi. 30 films a month, no queues, and a chance for serendipity.

Feels much more manageable.

I had a free subscription to Mubi a few years ago thanks to AFI Film Fest. I don't remember the catalog changing much, and didn't renew when it was over.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    There is no catalogue...? Mubi is a curated list of 30 films. A new movie is added every day. It's available for 30 days. After that, it's gone.

This is the current list: https://mubi.com/showing

If you click that link next month, it'll be totally different.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I had a free subscription to Mubi a few years ago thanks to AFI Film Fest. I don't remember the catalog changing much, and didn't renew when it was over.
    How long ago was it? Because they changed their library model a few years back. They now add and remove one movie every 24 hours.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    How long ago was it? Because they changed their library model a few years back. They now add and remove one movie every 24 hours.
    2013-ish I think. I feel like some of the movies came back on after a while.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Here's something odd but awesome.

Comcast now includes a Netflix app inside their X1 console. No roku, amazon tv, chrome cast needed.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast