Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the Cord

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Also, I think people are expecting the HBO standalone sub to be less than $15. I'm guessing it's going to be double what you pay via cable subscriber at the minimum.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Also, I think people are expecting the HBO standalone sub to be less than $15. I'm guessing it's going to be double what you pay via cable subscriber at the minimum.
    It would be smarter for them to drop the price for cable and keep them the same price, knowing the number of people who subscribe to HBOGo will more than make up the loss they'll feel from a lower cable subscription rate. No one is going to pay them $30 a month for HBOGo, especially when all of their old content is available via Amazon Prime.

I just return to this old breakdown from The Atlantic:

Every month, the cable companies tally up their tall piles of ~$80 monthly cable bills and send money to each of the networks in the bundle. These fees range from a few cents per-subscriber-per-month to a few dollars. HBO currently has 30 million premium subscribers. It gets a whopping $7 every month for each one. The easy arithmetic suggests that with 15 million subscribers paying $14, HBO could get the same revenue.

Ah, same revenue, but not the same profit. Weaned off big cable, HBO's costs would skyrocket. It would have to build its own streaming infrastructure. It would have to take over its own marketing. It would have to build a customer services team and a billing team. All of these costs are currently covered by the cable companies. But if you wanted to pay for HBO Go exclusively, you would have to pay more for the unbundled content plus these new costs.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

For up to date numbers, Reed Hastings just posted this on his Facebook page in August:

Minor milestone: last quarter we passed HBO is subscriber revenue ($1.146B vs $1.141B). They still kick our ass in profits and Emmy's, but we are making progress. HBO rocks, and we are honored to be in the same league. (yes, I loved Silicon Valley and yes it hit a little close to home.)
    Netflix has more subscribers, but HBO is still making more money. It's because of cable companies. So yeah, I expect a standalone service ain't gonna be that cheap. At least at first.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm gonna post this in the Netflix thread too, but the entire FRIENDS Series is coming to Netflix next year.

Now we just need Seinfeld and we're pretty much complete right?

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/15/f...=rss_truncated

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Jerry hinted in a reddit AMA that Seinfeld is close to a deal with Netflix.

Neither is The Simpsons but I will be very happy if Netflix gets Seinfeld. Part of me actually wants to rewatch Friends and see if I grow to like that white people problems show as much as I like Seinfeld. But I won't.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    There is no way HBO standalone service is more than $20 a month.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The latest firmware update allows it to act as a casting receiver so you can mirror the screen of your Android or Windows phone on the TV. Windows 8 computers can also recognize it as a second monitor.
    Looked into this today. Unfortunately its only for Roku3 and RokuSticks at the moment. I have two Roku2s. My parents have a Roku3 so I may fiddle with it when I get a chance.

I'm shutting mine off on Monday. My brother and I share NHL Gamecenter (costs me $9/month), so I can still watch Red Wings games, and I'll get a HD antenna for football on the weekends. I'm all done paying this kind of money for shit I don't watch when almost every show is available on an app.

Good KF! You will never regret it.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Good KF! You will never regret it.
    Thanks, I don't think I will either. I'd have done it sooner, but we are having my sister over for the Dr. Who finale tonight, and I can't return their equipment until Monday anyway, so I'll have it going for one last weekend.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Thanks, I don't think I will either. I'd have done it sooner, but we are having my sister over for the Dr. Who finale tonight, and I can't return their equipment until Monday anyway, so I'll have it going for one last weekend.
    What about Tigs games?

What about Tigs games?
    If I get the itch, I'll see about splitting the MLB package with someone. I have a friend who moved to Texas that might go in on it with me. By then I'll be done with the NHL package.

I've done the math before. Buying two single-season packages (NHL and MLB) with Roku, still cheaper than one year of cable. And that gives you every game I believe.

I've done the math before. Buying two single-season packages (NHL and MLB) with Roku, still cheaper than one year of cable. And that gives you every game I believe.
    But it doesn't include NFL and it doesn't include the cost of a good internet connection. When you add everything up, it' snot cheaper than getting cable.

I didnt mention NFL, and it presumes you were going to have internet either way. I cut the tv cord, Im not a savage.

But it doesn't include NFL and it doesn't include the cost of a good internet connection. When you add everything up, it' snot cheaper than getting cable.
    The NFL is on the main channels, which you can pick up for free with an antenna. The internet here is $50/month for 60 gb. At $10/ month each for two sports packages, and $8 for Hulu, it is MUCH cheaper for me to cut the cord.

The NFL is on the main channels, which you can pick up for free with an antenna. The internet here is $50/month for 60 gb. At $10/ month each for two sports packages, and $8 for Hulu, it is MUCH cheaper for me to cut the cord.
    I've done the antenna thing in the past- It sucks. Constantly goes in and out. You need to put a huge one on your roof for it to be satisfactory in the 21st century. It would only get you half the games on CBS and NBC. For me, CBS didn't even come in that well.

So $50 + 10 for sports, + 8 for Hulu and 10 for Netflix and you're talking around $80. For $20 you can lock into a 2 year deal with Comcast with HBO included and not have to hassle with anything.

And unfortunately there isn't an NFL package I've liked. Its all or nothing. I wish they'd break it up. Like say, a package for all games for one team, or a per game one time cost...stuff like that.

I've done the antenna thing in the past- It sucks. Constantly goes in and out. You need to put a huge one on your roof for it to be satisfactory in the 21st century. It would only get you half the games on CBS and NBC. For me, CBS didn't even come in that well.

So $50 + 10 for sports, + 8 for Hulu and 10 for Netflix and you're talking around $80. For $20 you can lock into a 2 year deal with Comcast with HBO included and not have to hassle with anything.
    My brother has an antenna that works beautifully. Picks up all the major networks and one PBS without any static or anything. Yeah, I can lock in a two year deal, and then watch my price double and be right where I am right now, paying way too much for a bunch of shit I don't need and looking for a new deal. I'm tired of this game. My mind is made up.

Plus internet. Again, cord cutting being a saving proposition presumes you want internet either way.

My brother has an antenna that works beautifully. Picks up all the major networks and one PBS without any static or anything. Yeah, I can lock in a two year deal, and then watch my price double and be right where I am right now, paying way too much for a bunch of shit I don't need and looking for a new deal. I'm tired of this game. My mind is made up.
    Just call up to cancel and when they ask why, say the price is too high. They'll bump it back down to $99 for another year. Then just rinse and repeat. Small price to pay to get a price point you want.

I've been doing this since 2010. Every year I ask for something new- either a movie channel, Red Zone or another DVR box. And every year they give it to me without raising my monthly rate.

"We are sorry to hear you canceling sir, may we ask why?"
    "DirectTV will give me HBO for a cheaper price"
    "We can keep your price the same and give you HBO, would that be satisfactory to keep you on-board!"
    "Well... I guess. OK"

Plus internet. Again, cord cutting being a saving proposition presumes you want internet either way.
    $50 is the internet price- Stand alone price.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast