Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the Cord

I'm still collecting physical media but I'm open to the idea of switching to digital formats eventually. We'll see. Currently, the 1080p versions of films offered by iTunes are good and comparable to their Blu-ray equivalents, but I think the Blu-ray discs typically yield a stronger transfer (I still rent movies via iTunes all the time, though, and it's also how I watch many TV shows). A real equivalency between the formats would be necessary.

Also, Apple TV ought to accommodate physical storage options, as streaming your TV and movie collection requires a lot of bandwidth. Beyond the transfers, there's also a discrepancy when it comes to Blu-ray supplemental features versus the small amount of extras that sometimes accompany iTunes releases. A selection of Criterion films are on iTunes, and being able to rent them is a great and less costly way of viewing their library. Still, none of the iTunes versions are accompanied by any special features.

My other reservations concern comic books. The printed comic book offers a standard that will likely cohere with the artist's intentions (maybe this is a dubious assumption) in terms of, for instance, the particular vibrancy of certain colours. When you view art on something like an iPad Air or an iMac screen, isn't there a risk that the colour palette of any given page might be distorted or that it will be rendered somehow incongruent with the intended design?

I have less reservations about acquiring digital books but I do enjoy the tactile and sensory pleasures of flipping through a physical book. These are secondary pleasures, and this is also hardly a novel point, but it's still important. Then again, I'm very attracted to the idea of not having to worry about damaging my books in any way.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I can understand the color translation between digital and print. If I really like a series I'll buy the hardcover volumes. As a kid, I had 2 or 3 of those white Cardboard Storage Boxes. I can't go back to that. Ever.

I wonder if number8 has like, 47 of those.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    My question to MC is, have you started buying movies digitally?
    Sometimes I'm tempted but-- largely, no. I don't like the vendor lock-in and DRM that comes with either Amazon or Apple. I don't want to invest money in media that is a hassle to play on any and all devices, past or present. Even renting from them is subpar.

Reading books on a tablet is a mediocre experience at best.

Reading comics on any digital platform out and out sucks, unless the comic has been designed for digital.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Sometimes I'm tempted but-- largely, no. I don't like the vendor lock-in and DRM that comes with either Amazon or Apple. I don't want to invest money in media that is a hassle to play on any and all devices, past or present. Even renting from them is subpar.
    How would you want this to work ideally?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    How would you want this to work ideally?
    Heh! Great question. I'm not sure. The ideal is BitTorrent (I mean the protocol, not as a euphemism for piracy) and open files. But file formats have lock-in too, just a different form. Formats get dated and eventually become unplayable.

I want everything available-- out there-- and to never go out of print or be made unavailable because the rights holder wants to make money on a new double-dip Blu Ray release. This is something I miss from the video store era. I never had to worry that a movie they had one month would be available the next month.

Well I'm not sure you have to worry about that when buying on Amazon. Like steam, when I bought a video game digitally, I own that game forever, even if the developer decides to remove that game from steam store. It's still in my account for as long as the internet is up. I can choose to download it to my disk and back it up there if I choose too.

With Amazon movies, it is the same way. Keep it on the cloud, or download it to your kindle, or whatever device supports Amazon.

I've never bought movies for the ease of access to begin with. I used to buy DVDs with the goal of having a giant collection. When I mostly kicked that habit and got rid of 90% of my DVDs, I kept the ones that are somewhat rare or out of print, not the ones I like or watch the most. So owning digital movies never appealed to me much. The only movie I ever bought on Amazon is a Goofy Movie, and it's because that widescreen edition has never been released on physical media. Even with digital, I still follow that same curatorial mentality.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I've never bought movies for the ease of access to begin with. I used to buy DVDs with the goal of having a giant collection. When I mostly kicked that habit and got rid of 90% of my DVDs, I kept the ones that are somewhat rare or out of print, not the ones I like or watch the most. So owning digital movies never appealed to me much. The only movie I ever bought on Amazon is a Goofy Movie, and it's because that widescreen edition has never been released on physical media. Even with digital, I still follow that same curatorial mentality.
    That used to be me too. Wanted a giant collection until I realized how pointless that aspiration has become. I've trimmed my collection and I still look at as a giant waste of space. I do buy the movies I love year over year. The Blu-ray quality as Goofy20202 said, still stands the best HD transfer rather than anything found online or digitally. I have been beginning to buy comedies digitally, where picture quality isn't really necessary.

My ideal solution would be to buy something digitally, store it on my NAS, and access it anywhere from my phone, tablet or PS3/PS4. The PS4 still does not have file compatibility and I cannot find a solution for my Kindle Fire to play movies off my network.

I want to buy Godzilla now. But like Irish said, I'd only be able to watch it 1) on my computer in my office chair or 2) on the PS3. My options are limited.

I own quite a digital collection, but its because I have a network of people that give me Vudu codes they don't use. I may also buy a digital code off of Family Video's website if its cheaper than the rental price.

- - - - -
    Well I'm not sure you have to worry about that when buying on Amazon.
    Read the fine print. One of my other issues with these services is that you don't actually own the media. In some cases, like Kindle, you're licensing it. It's like paying cash every time you use your library card.

All of these corps have access to your library. They can remove titles out of a library (Amazon has).

Anyway-- outside of books and comics, I got really burned out on owning physical media about ten years ago. Even if a movie is a favorite, I'm probably not going to watch it so much that owning it makes sense.

The digital route is still essential for me in the case of something like Breaking Bad or Mad Men. The 720p televised broadcasts do not match the 1080p versions that I receive when I purchase a "season pass" for either of those shows. The Blu-ray releases are the superior option, but at the time of airing, iTunes and Apple TV seems like the best bet.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I've bought a couple videos digital (Lake Mungo and The World's End) because I had the overwhelming urge to watch them immediately and because I'd already seen them before and knew I'd enjoy watching them multiple times. Beyond that, the only media I really buy anymore are horror DVD's (I know, not even blu's). They're useful references for when I'm doing blog stuff, and I get a superficial but genuine pleasure from having them all arranged by year along an extended shelf at home.

Any of you Roku users able to try the new Mirroring feature yet?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Man, with my amazon fire tv, (hell my Amazon Fire tablet for that matter) ps4, ps3 I dont think I've used my roku in months.

I have two rokus running just about all day lol. Whats this mirroring?

The latest firmware update allows it to act as a casting receiver so you can mirror the screen of your Android or Windows phone on the TV. Windows 8 computers can also recognize it as a second monitor.
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Unfortunately I don't have Windows or Droid anything, so it isn't helpful for me.

Same here, which is why I asked.
    Movie Theater Diary

HUGE FUCKING NEWS.

HBO Go will be a standalone service starting next year.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/hbo-...ear-1201330592
    Movie Theater Diary

HUGE FUCKING NEWS.

HBO Go will be a standalone service starting next year.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/hbo-...ear-1201330592
    I was presenting in a huge meeting this morning when my phone vibrated and it was BREAKING NEWS from the WSJ:

"HBO Plans Standalone Streaming Service"

I wanted to stop the meeting and read the article....

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Great news! Now I can stop paying for my mom to get HBO so I can use her Go account
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

The latest firmware update allows it to act as a casting receiver so you can mirror the screen of your Android or Windows phone on the TV. Windows 8 computers can also recognize it as a second monitor.
    Sweet! I would def use that feature! I will look into it.

CBS joins the fray: http://www.cbs.com/all-access/upsell/

I wouldn't pay $6/month to watch CBS shitshows, but this is definitely a good sign.
    Movie Theater Diary

CBS joins the fray: http://www.cbs.com/all-access/upsell/

I wouldn't pay $6/month to watch CBS shitshows, but this is definitely a good sign.
    If that included football I would!

Nope.

Some sporting events, including NFL coverage, are not available for live streaming through CBS All Access. We are continuing to work towards offering more live programming as part of CBS All Access. In the meantime, when a program is not available to you via CBS All Access, you will see a message that states the program is not currently available.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast