Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the Cord

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I've never had cable or satellite in my entire life, haven't missed much.

When people say that $130 a month is "reasonable" it boggles my mind.
    Do you have a smartphone?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I like the DVR feature, but right now most of the channels it offers have their own shows streaming as soon as the next day. If they had AMC, BBC America, FX, etc. it would be a really great deal.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and cancel my satellite.

I'm getting Apple TV and a few subscriptions and will be done with it.

It'll save me over $100 a month and if I really wanna watch sports, there's always a way.

What happens when the "bundle" begins to unravel?

The question is taking on intense importance for the cable-TV business, which for decades has forced customers to subscribe to groups, or bundles, of channels—whether they wanted them or not.

Attacks on the bundle approach have escalated, most recently with Cablevision Systems Corp.'s CVC -1.32% lawsuit this week against Viacom Inc., VIAB +2.09% accusing it of antitrust violations for forcing it to carry and pay for more than a dozen "lesser-watched" channels in order to offer the popular ones like Nickelodeon and MTV. Viacom disputes the allegation.

Now pay-TV executives—as well as its customers—are openly pondering a world where the bundle no longer reigns, even though such a scenario could be years away.

"People should be able to build what they want and get what they want," said Bartees Cox, a spokesman for consumer group Public Knowledge.

"Without the 'take it or leave it' requirements of bundled programming packages at a wholesale level, cable companies could tailor smaller and lower-priced packages that could offer flexibility and have great appeal to specific interests and audiences," said Charlie Schueler, spokesman for Cablevision.

Giving consumers the right to pick and choose could be costly for the big entertainment companies such as Time Warner Inc., TWX +1.27% Viacom, News Corp NWSA +1.18% . and Walt Disney Co., DIS +1.22% which rely on subscription fees from cable channels for a big chunk of their profits. Disney draws more than $10 billion in such fee revenue, mostly from its majority-owned ESPN group of channels, according to estimates from market researcher SNL Kagan. That is about a third of the $31.6 billion expected to be generated industrywide by such fees this year, excluding premium services like HBO and broadcast outlets, Kagan says.

The size of these fees varies widely. ESPN gets $5.54 per subscriber a month, while Viacom's MTV gets 41 cents per subscriber. Niche channels get much less. MTV Hits, for instance, gets two cents, according to Kagan.

There are already some cheaper packages in the market—but they aren't promoted heavily. Verizon Communications' VZ +0.11% FiOS service recently introduced "Select HD," priced at $49.99 a month, about $15 below the next-level package. Like similar offerings available from other distributors, it excludes sports channels such as ESPN. But operators can't market these too widely for fear of violating contracts with entertainment companies. Those contracts typically require that their channels reach 80% to 90% of their subscribers.

While some pay-TV executives say that full "a la carte'" could be overwhelming for viewers, others say that such an offering would be "the dream" but not practical, considering the reality of relationships with entertainment companies.

Instead, several pay-TV executives suggest creation of smaller bundles or tiers based on genre, from which viewers could pick and choose. For instance, a general entertainment package could include Time Warner's TBS and Comcast Corp.'s CMCSA +0.38% USA. Atop that package or standalone, subscribers could choose a sports bundle including channels like ESPN and regional sports networks. A news package might offer Time Warner's CNN, News Corp.'s Fox News, Comcast's MSNBC and Bloomberg TV, among others. A family and kids tier might include Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel.

Allowing people to drop sports channels, in particular, could help them save money because sports channels are among the priciest. ESPN is the single most expensive channel by far. But if lots of people drop it, customers who want it would have to pay more.

There are some other expensive channels as well, including News Corp.'s Fox News (94 cents a month) and Time Warner's TNT ($1.24 a month), according to Kagan estimates.

News Corp. also owns The Wall Street Journal.

Mediacom Communications Corp., a small cable operator based in Middletown, N.Y., has long agitated for unbundling. It advocates a "hybrid a la carte" model, in which those most expensive channels are sold individually on top of genre-based tiers.

Only a handful of channels from each media conglomerate are "priced really exorbitantly," said Thomas Larsen, group vice president of legal and public affairs at Mediacom. Under the hybrid model, distributors would take out of the equation the channels "causing the prices of packages to go up so high."

Mr. Larsen, along with DirecTV's DTV +0.83% top programming negotiator, Dan York, also said broadcast networks, which until recently didn't get paid any money by pay-TV distributors, may also have to be sold individually because of the big fees they are now seeking. An executive at one distributor said his company is already in discussions with broadcast station groups to offer networks a la carte to customers.

There has long been intense debate about whether unbundling would save consumers money. Two studies by the Federal Communications Commission in the past decade came to opposite conclusions. A Temple University study, meanwhile, concluded only incremental savings for consumers, and that was before accounting for the higher costs for customer service and programming that distributors would likely pass along.

Big media companies also argue that a la carte would be bad for the consumer in the long run. "A la carte—maybe a little counterintuitively—raises prices and reduces choice because it increases the costs," said Mike Fricklas, general counsel at Viacom, explaining that "now you have to worry about whether they are subscribing and watching." He said a lot of money would be siphoned out of programming investment and into marketing dollars because there wouldn't be assured distribution.

Executives at media companies say they would be forced to raise prices on their channels to maintain how much they spend on sports rights, original programming and other content. ¼

Mr. Fricklas says the conversation will change only if "cutting the cord" becomes a widespread reality. "As of right now," Mr. Fricklas said, "the cable packages are expensive to some people but not so expensive that people aren't choosing to subscribe."

But another pay-TV executive said improved Internet distribution of video will "force the change."

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Why would any of these media conglomerates agree to an ala carte model? What subscriber would voluntarily ask for shitty channels that rely on their popular sister channels to be carried by the cable companies?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I apologize if this doesn't go here...it seemed the best place to drop it.

I'm going to be buying a streaming box soon - Roku or Apple TV.

Roku has more apps. Apple TV allows me to stream via AirPlay. They're both the same price.

Has anyone had experience with either or both? Right now, I'm leaning toward Apple TV because of Airplay - its a great feature I can utilize...

...but if I can figure out a way to get the same functionality via Roku, I might change my mind.

I've heard of an app/channel on Roku calld Twonky Beam, but from what I've read it only allows to stream from a browser, not apps. Anyone know of this?

I'm doing my research but my mind is starting to glaze a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What do you use AirPlay for mostly? You buy movies/shows on iTunes? Get the Roku and buy them on Amazon Video instead. Or do you stream music? Get the Roku and then buy a $15 bluetooth receiver for your sound system.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I have no experience with Apple TV, so I won't be much help, other than to say that I own two Roku boxes and love them both. Not sure about an app that streams Airplay or anything similar though.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    What do you use AirPlay for mostly? You buy movies/shows on iTunes? Get the Roku and buy them on Amazon Video instead. Or do you stream music? Get the Roku and then buy a $15 bluetooth receiver for your sound system.
    I stream Redbox instant and Amazon prime And my music. I don't buy digital films as a rule.

I don't have a sound system. Everything is going to be through my television. That's all I have.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Amazon Prime has an app on Roku, so that won't be a problem. No Redbox that I'm aware of.

Redbox instant might be tricky. That's a pretty new service, though, so that's why there are hardly any support for it yet. Do they even have anything that Netflix doesn't have?

Doesn't matter if you don't have a sound system. Bluetooth dongles just need an audio-in jack, which your TV should have. But if you don't want to do that: http://roksbox.com/
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Redbox instant might be tricky. That's a pretty new service, though, so that's why there are hardly any support for it yet. Do they even have anything that Netflix doesn't have?

Doesn't matter if you don't have a sound system. Bluetooth dongles just need an audio-in jack, which your TV should have. But if you don't want to do that: http://roksbox.com/
    Roksbox wont work with my Ipad, but if I keep it synced that won't be a problem I guess. I'll keep digging. It sounds like Roku may be more viable a solution than I thought.

Oh you're streaming from an iPad? Then lol, not to worry, the Roku remote app for iOS has a "stream to Roku" feature.

Movie Theater Diary

Did some more research...the Roku 3 is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I was hoping to not have to go with Apple TV (not that its a bad product, but I don't wanna be tied to the Fruit Empire any more than I already am).

I'll probably pick it up today. Apparently my local Wal-Mart has them in stock (oddly, none of the other stores in the area do)

That Roku 3 is awesome. I only have the Roku 2, but we love it. Even have an app for my phone that acts as a remote. There is so much stuff on Roku I can't forsee ever running out of stuff to watch or listen to. Pandora, I heart Radio...both work great. Plus Vudu is my rental app of choice, and it hooks up with the Ultraviolet service, so if you get some of those codes with blu-rays, you can take your box with you intead of the blus (this comes in handy for showing HD movies to my parents who don't have blu player).

What's different about the Roku 3?

Also, Comcast sent me a letter yesterday, asking me to sign up for a 2 year contract. In return, I get two premium channels and access to streampix at no extra charge.

I've had Comcast for 3 years so... I'm thinking what's the harm?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    What's different about the Roku 3?
    The most important thing about it is that it allows me to stream stuff from my IPad to my TV, like Apple TV does, all with an app.

Also, it has dual band wireless. Plus, and this is a great feature, imo, the remote has a headphone jack in it so you can listen to your streaming movies/tv shows without the sound coming out of the tv, so it doesnt matter how loud it is.

I've been playing with this thing since I plugged it in earlier tonight and I really love it. So many things to choose from - even stuff I wouldnt normally ever watch is there, just in case.

There's even a Romanian TV streaming channel. Hey, why not? ITs free

The funniest thing about the Roku to me is the Gem Shopping Network app. I really want to know if there are 70 year olds in retirement homes watching that channel through a Roku.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    The most important thing about it is that it allows me to stream stuff from my IPad to my TV, like Apple TV does, all with an app.

Also, it has dual band wireless. Plus, and this is a great feature, imo, the remote has a headphone jack in it so you can listen to your streaming movies/tv shows without the sound coming out of the tv, so it doesnt matter how loud it is.

I've been playing with this thing since I plugged it in earlier tonight and I really love it. So many things to choose from - even stuff I wouldnt normally ever watch is there, just in case.

There's even a Romanian TV streaming channel. Hey, why not? ITs free
    You've taken your first steps into a larger world...

So I went ahead and signed up for my 2 year comcast contract. I now have HBO, Showtime, NFL RedZone and Streampix all for free. My monthly bill is $117/month (includes 20MB internet and digital voice).

Not bad.

I suppose if you add in my netflix and amazon account it goes up to $132/month. Still not bad.

1. Holy crap at my data usage last month

2. Holy crap @ comcast suspending the data limit

Wow, dude. You oughta get help, that's some serious porn addiction you have going on there.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I must have skied a lot this winter.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I just looked at mine for the last two months and I'm averaging 200 gbs a month. My biggest day was 30gb.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Not sure if this topic is relevent here but maybe...

So Godzilla is available on Amazon right now to own digitally. $20 and its yours, which is cheaper than what it will be when it's released on Blu-ray ($30 which includes Blu-ray 3D+ Blu-ray + DVD +UltraViolet Combo Pack).

My question to MC is, have you started buying movies digitally? Through Amazon or Flixster or UltraViolet or hell even PSN/iTunes/Play Store? I mean, a lot of us do this for music already, and I know I do it for PC games on steam, and I've started to move over and start buying full games on the PSN. I do it for books, newspaper and comics too. It's to cut down on clutter. All this crap. I simply don't have the room to house everything and book shelves filled with CDs, DVDs, Games feels so 90s.... Books I can understand.

But why can't I get around the Blu-ray format for movies yet? There's simply no need to buy a physical copy anymore unless you're getting the 3D version. Am I correct?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast